PDA

View Full Version : Long Hard Road In and Out of Hell: Pages From A Marilyn Manson Groupie's Tour Diary

Lillith
03-11-2013, 05:23 PM
Ok so this is what I have been working on for the last couple of months. It's a joint review by Lexa Vonn & I of The Plastics. This review has also been approved by Manson himself.

Intro by Lexa Vonn:

Reading the pages of the journal Lillith Black kept as she traveled from show to show on the last leg of Marilyn Manson's 2013 North American Hey Cruel World Tour, brought back many memories for me. The first time I ever saw Marilyn Manson play was in 1995 at a small club in Boston. I was in high school at the time and the admission for the show was $8. The moment Manson took the stage, he seemed to fixate on me. Hypnotized by his ice blue contacts (he wore two at the time), I felt both frightened and aroused. My nightmares and fantasies became one as I was seduced by displays of sex, violence, and a certain innocence I can't really describe. There was something familiar about him, like we knew each other from a past life. Too intrigued to leave, I waited around the tour bus after the show that night in hopes of meeting him. When he exited the back of the club, he walked up to me and asked what my name was. After graduating high school, I took a Greyhound bus to L.A. where I lived on and off the streets for awhile. I met Manson again after a show in Hollywood during the Smells Like Children tour and asked if he remembered me. "Yes, you're from Boston," he replied. I was stunned that he remembered me at all, let alone where I was from. Not too soon after that, Antichrist Superstar was released and after breaking up with a lover who I'd been living with and being estranged from my family, I found myself with nowhere to go. It was then that I began to follow the band on tour.

Read More Here (http://bit.ly/W36235)
The Plastics (http://www.facebook.com/ThePlasticsProfessionalGroupies?ref=ts&fref=ts)
My Plastics Chapter (http://on.fb.me/16UOlWO)
Mods feel free to move this, if it's in the wrong spot. Wasn't sure where to post it.

crowfaerie
03-12-2013, 07:57 AM
That was very interesting to read, thanks for sharing. :) Sometimes I wish I lived in America instead of Finland. A little harder to follow him that much from here... He doesn't even come here anymore, so I have followed him to other countries twice now. But I'm not rich enough to travel so much, and too scared for hitchhiking and such. Plus I'm not that kind of girl who would show her boobs at shows, dress slutty or anything like that, so don't know would I get much of his attention even I would go to as many shows as possible. But it's interesting to read these stories about people who have followed him so much, for such a long time.

Edit. But have to admit that I also wondered will they share Teena's story too, since this pretty much brought her to my mind too. And yeah, maybe "inspiring" wasn't the right word after all.

TongueTwistingStorm
03-12-2013, 10:55 PM
Want. Part. Two.

This is a great read, you are an excellent writer. I would absolutely love to do something like this for the dates around where I live. When I think of how the two shows I saw affected me, I can only imagine how alive I would feel. Alas, very little money and no drivers' license.

AssetReign
03-12-2013, 11:33 PM
Chicks flashing their tits at the band is so commonplace that it's not much of an attention grabber for them. I wouldn't call the stories about groupies inspiring, but they're definitely an interesting read.

alexismbench
03-13-2013, 01:28 AM
I agree with the other comments here- this was an interesting read, and very well written. Your writing style is captivating- made me feel like I was there with you. Lillith, you are very talented with your writing, and I am truly impressed with the way that you express your thoughts and feelings.

I've read a little bit of Lexa Vonn's writings about her encounters with Manson, but I'm still a bit unclear about a couple of things that maybe you have the answers to, Lillith. First and foremost, I'm assuming that you are a part of The Plastics (please correct me if I'm wrong). What does this mean, or what does this group stand for? Are you girls actual "groupies," and if so- is it just the standard definition of what groupies do or does it go beyond that? Quite honestly, when I hear the word "groupies" the first thing that pops into my mind is the typical idea most have... a person who makes it their mission to gain access backstage solely just to have sex with the celebrity.

In reading Lexa Vonn's writings about Manson, and now yours as well- I didn't get the impression that the goal was a sexual encounter with Manson. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong- but in reading Lexa's writings, she followed Manson for quite a long time, and by one account- ended up watching a movie with him in a hotel room alone (if I remember correctly, they were even sitting together on the bed) and yet neither he or she made any type of move sexually. I believe she has even gone on to state that she has never had any type of sexual encounter with Manson at all, although she has with other rock stars and yet I've always seen her referred to as "Marilyn Manson's groupie."

So, I'm a little confused. The title of this thread even uses the word "groupie." But, it seems to me that your motivation isn't about trying to sleep with Manson, or is it and I'm just reading into it incorrectly? Please do not be offended by my questions, because I am truly a little confused about what The Plastics motivations are, since the term groupie is used so frequently in conjunction with them but it doesn't seem like they fall entirely under the definition of groupies as there doesn't seem to be that driven goal of having a sexual encounter. Is the goal of a Plastic to follow Manson from show to show, try to meet him and connect with him on a personal level but not on a sexual level? Or, is it all of that, and if given the chance- to turn it sexual? Or is that something that the Plastics don't set out to achieve with their encounters?

Again, please do not take any offense to what I'm asking here, or think I'm being insulting at all, because that is not my intent at all. I think it's amazing that you and Lexa have had so many great opportunities to connect with Manson like you have... I would give anything to have the opportunities that you two have had! I've wanted to meet him for the past 16 years because of what his music means to me, and never have- even with the VIP option with this past tour, I wasn't able to that... so I am envious of you both, for sure. I'm just interested in what exactly "The Plastics" stand for, and what makes them different than others groupies... for example, than someone like Teena Byrd (she's an extreme example, but you get what I mean, I hope).

sexy.sushi
03-13-2013, 02:47 AM
Chicks flashing their tits at the band is so commonplace that it's not much of an attention grabber for them. I wouldn't call the stories about groupies inspiring, but they're definitely an interesting read.
I'm not sure, in France for example I've never seen any girl doing it!

Well, I loved reading it too, and I hope you'll write again and share your experience cause it's really pleasant to read :)

Black Dahlia
03-13-2013, 10:29 AM
Loved reading this! It's always intriguing to know what Manson's like with each of his fans. I always wanted to give him some special gift but I wouldn't even know where to begin. Seeing him once has given me a craving to see him live again, and I can't wait to satisfy it.

blue angel
03-13-2013, 06:12 PM
Cool sites.
And yeah, I too was wondering why Teena Byrd wasn't a part of this scene. Seems like they just do what she was doing and trying to do.

Lillith
03-13-2013, 06:30 PM
I agree with the other comments here- this was an interesting read, and very well written. Your writing style is captivating- made me feel like I was there with you. Lillith, you are very talented with your writing, and I am truly impressed with the way that you express your thoughts and feelings.

I've read a little bit of Lexa Vonn's writings about her encounters with Manson, but I'm still a bit unclear about a couple of things that maybe you have the answers to, Lillith. First and foremost, I'm assuming that you are a part of The Plastics (please correct me if I'm wrong). What does this mean, or what does this group stand for? Are you girls actual "groupies," and if so- is it just the standard definition of what groupies do or does it go beyond that? Quite honestly, when I hear the word "groupies" the first thing that pops into my mind is the typical idea most have... a person who makes it their mission to gain access backstage solely just to have sex with the celebrity.

In reading Lexa Vonn's writings about Manson, and now yours as well- I didn't get the impression that the goal was a sexual encounter with Manson. Again, please correct me if I'm wrong- but in reading Lexa's writings, she followed Manson for quite a long time, and by one account- ended up watching a movie with him in a hotel room alone (if I remember correctly, they were even sitting together on the bed) and yet neither he or she made any type of move sexually. I believe she has even gone on to state that she has never had any type of sexual encounter with Manson at all, although she has with other rock stars and yet I've always seen her referred to as "Marilyn Manson's groupie."

So, I'm a little confused. The title of this thread even uses the word "groupie." But, it seems to me that your motivation isn't about trying to sleep with Manson, or is it and I'm just reading into it incorrectly? Please do not be offended by my questions, because I am truly a little confused about what The Plastics motivations are, since the term groupie is used so frequently in conjunction with them but it doesn't seem like they fall entirely under the definition of groupies as there doesn't seem to be that driven goal of having a sexual encounter. Is the goal of a Plastic to follow Manson from show to show, try to meet him and connect with him on a personal level but not on a sexual level? Or, is it all of that, and if given the chance- to turn it sexual? Or is that something that the Plastics don't set out to achieve with their encounters?

Again, please do not take any offense to what I'm asking here, or think I'm being insulting at all, because that is not my intent at all. I think it's amazing that you and Lexa have had so many great opportunities to connect with Manson like you have... I would give anything to have the opportunities that you two have had! I've wanted to meet him for the past 16 years because of what his music means to me, and never have- even with the VIP option with this past tour, I wasn't able to that... so I am envious of you both, for sure. I'm just interested in what exactly "The Plastics" stand for, and what makes them different than others groupies... for example, than someone like Teena Byrd (she's an extreme example, but you get what I mean, I hope).

No offense taken. Yes I am indeed a member. The Plastics are girls who pretty much live and breath Rock N Roll. To the point where going to a show is pretty much like how going to Church is to most normal people. Groupies where the term for a muse coined in the 1960s for many bands. The people that you refer to that just sleep around with the bands, roadies etc, are pretty much called "starfuckers". While I personally see nothing wrong with doing that, it's not my thing and it will also earn you jack shit in the respect department. And more or less put you on the same level as "Teena". But for the sake of this post she doesn't even count. There really no turning back after death threats are sent. It's not forbidden to sleep with the band members, if a "fling" or what have you where to happen but it's also not really the point of being a Plastic. I recommend you check out Pamela Des Barres book Let's Spend The Night Together. There is also a much longer and more indepth description of the Plastics on the front page of the site and in addition to FB link {just click the info page}, which are both conveintaly located at the bottom of my original post.

Thank You everyone for the compliments. I never actually set out to be a writer, nor did I consider myself that good at it. :) But this was such a fun project that I couldn't resist. I'm glad everyone is enjoying it so far. I don't really care if flashing is common place or not. Manson seems to enjoy it, it's fun. And kind of like Hey, I love this show so much I'm gonna go topless sort of deal." There will be more coming soon.

Lillith
03-22-2013, 12:11 PM
Our bus out of Cleveland arrived late without any notifications and the vending machine stole the money I deposited for a bottle of water. The bottle just sat there in the machine, mocking me like a liquid filled middle finger. Gina changed buses in Buffalo, as her ticket was routed differently than mine. I'm pretty sure my bus hit just about every city and town in upstate NY. I suspect the blame may have been pinned on me on the last bus ride due to my fashion, since I seemed to be taking on the appearance of a Hell's Angel while I traveled. With my biker jacket, unkempt hair, skin tight pants and backpack, I guess I looked a bit threatening. On this ride, I was more likely taken for a homeless girl, as I had already been on the bus for a day and a half to two days, still in the same make-up. I at least had the good sense to change clothes before getting on the bus, which is more than I can say for most of the people on there.

Read More
(http://bit.ly/16NNgjq)

Lillith
03-25-2013, 10:26 PM
Thankfully, this Greyhound ride was relatively uneventful and short, but just long enough for me to catch a little bit of sleep. The cold however, was doing a number on my hands. Even with gloves and Hot Hands, they were starting to peel, ache, and my cuticles were splitting at the seams. Midway to Boston, I finally got my iPod charger to function long enough to be reminded that my couch surfing host wouldn't be home till after 5:30pm. Due to GH scheduling constraints, my bus wouldn't even be getting into Boston until 11:30/12:00pm, leaving me with almost no time to get ready. Thankfully, by now I am quite well versed in doing make-up on the fly with nothing but a compact and my make-up case. After investigating the loo situation at Southside Terminal, I concluded with the idea that it was going to be too busy to bother with. Having to think quickly, I raced past the ATM, down the escalators, and attempted to hurry the elevator to get me to the street level where I finally located a Dunkin Donuts about a block away. Buying a small coffee to earn myself some customer credibility, I took over the bathroom for the next 20 minutes. As I wrestled with my already overstuffed suitcase, I rushed to get dressed and performed a quick make-up job. I was contemplating plugging in my iron to straighten my hair, when I was interrupted by the staff and some guy looking for his wife.

Read More (http://bit.ly/15NZO6X)

Lillith
04-02-2013, 09:31 PM
Los Angeles, CA

Nokia Theater

2/21/13

By Lillith Black (with Lexa Vonn)

By the time the L.A. show neared, I decided that I'd had enough of the Greyhound experience and managed to pull some cash together for a last minute plane ticket. My dad offered to get me a hotel room for the first two nights and Lexa Vonn generously invited me to stay at her humble abode for the rest of my short vacation. It was the the second to last MM show of this leg of the tour and there was also a Plastics' event happening later that weekend, "Patti Johnsen's Annual Groupie Roundtable." With both those events occurring back to back, it was an offer I couldn't refuse. Appropriately enough, the second song to play on my iPod shuffle as the plane took off was "Hey, Mister Superstar." The plane was comfy, but the ride was ridiculously long! At one point, I remember waking up and seeing it was 9:30 and thinking, why the hell haven't we landed yet? Then, I realized that I was still on East Coast time and wouldn't be landing for another couple hours. LAX was pretty uneventful. By the time I got downstairs, my luggage was already waiting on the carousel. All I needed to do was figure out where to meet the Super Shuttle, which ended up taking a good two hours to finally drop me off at my hotel in downtown L.A.

Read More (http://bit.ly/16lNGuk)

Sigh this is the last one for now. :(

sexy.sushi
04-04-2013, 06:31 AM
Haha, I loved the MM contribution!

Lillith
04-05-2013, 12:44 PM
Yea that was pretty funny.

Lillith
04-08-2013, 12:59 PM
My First Trip to L.A. to meet The Plastics
By Lillith Black

If you are having any second thoughts what so ever about joining The Plastics or its authenticity as a true family rather than an impersonal Internet fad, think again! Taking a spur of the moment and questionably financed trip to L.A. was one of the most fun and rewarding experiences of my life! Originally, I had no immediate plans to fly out to LA., but I got a decent paycheck from my new job and there were only two Marilyn Manson shows left to the current leg of the Hey Cruel World tour. As we all know, Manson shows are addictive! On top of that, there was also the "7th Annual Groupie Roundtable" happening at The Rainbow that weekend and I felt like I needed a little inspiration to revive my chapter of The Plastics in Virginia. I was kinda on hiatus as a Plastic, due to a vast array of personal problems and a less than accepting local town. But when Lexa assigned me the MM project and invited me to stay with her if I came to L.A., I decided it was meant to be. I'd never met Lexa in person before the Manson show we attended at Club Nokia in L.A., but she treated me like family the second we met. After the show, Lexa made sure to check on me to insure that I got back to the hotel safely and advised me on which subway to take so that she could pick me up in the morning.

Read More. (http://bit.ly/14SiJ4p)