PDA

View Full Version : Call Backs and Foreshadowing

HG131
03-31-2013, 04:20 PM
I've been noticing, Manson has been referencing himself as of late, both forwards and backwards, as well as having possibly foreshadowed "The High End Of Low" in "Eat Me, Drink Me". Starting with explaining that, I'm specifically talking about the song "Heart-Shaped Glasses".

HSG: "That blue is getting me high, And making me low"

It may have been unintentional, but one obvious not intentional line is a "1996" reference in "Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin-Geddon".

1996: "Anti things I fucked and ate."
AGMG: "First you try to fuck it, then you try to eat it and if it hasn't learned your name you'd better kill it before they see it."

Additionally, to me, 'Geddon, especially with the music video, seems like Manson parodying Antichrist Superstar, as well as himself. The idea of it being circular, the hidden track ending the same way "Irresponsible Hate Anthem" begins, seems to be reflected in the lyrics as well, with the line "I wish I was still dead but the TV said it's just a "tropical depression"." The idea of it being "Arma-goddamn-motherfuckin-geddon" seems like a mockery of Antichrist Superstar, along with the ($) "Shock" color scheme logos. The title is over-the-top with the "shocking", and the reference to "1996", because of all of this, seems intentional.

Another one I've noticed is connections between "If I Was Your Vampire" and "No Reflection". The obvious one is

IIWYV: "No shadows, no reflections here"

but thematically, they seem to be similar, and the vampire idea does seem to shine through in "No Reflection" a bit. Besides for the typical "vampires have no reflections" idea, it's typical for the non-pure evil vampires to be torn between good and evil (and I mean works other than crappy films and books), dating back to about the same moment someone decided to add more depth than "vampires = evil". Or in other words, they don't know which "them" they love. Additionally, the lyric

NR: "This'll hurt you worse than me.
I'm weak, seven days a week.
Don't run from me. I won't
Bother counting one, two, three..."

Is, well, rather threat-sounding, and with the predator nature of a vampire, it makes sense. The "Show myself how to make a noose" line fits well with the suicidal "Have each other until the sun" in If I Was Your Vampire". Maybe I'm stretching it, I don't know. Anyone else seeing references forwards or backwards outside of Triptych-referencing-Triptych stuff?

thatrussianman
03-31-2013, 04:35 PM
No Reflection is very much about the ressurection of Manson. Speaking of Easter (today), chirst rose on the third day and manson mentions 1, 2, 3 in the song...

HG131
03-31-2013, 08:57 PM
Sorry, meant to reply earlier, but for some reason it failed. You have a good point, I hadn't thought of the three days death idea, although, I'm wondering, how does it connect to it's surrounding lyrics?

thatrussianman
04-01-2013, 01:58 AM
I said it connects to the theme, not the lyrics

HG131
04-02-2013, 10:22 AM
I get what you're saying. I feel personally like there's multiple meanings to some songs, and I feel this is one of them. The obvious one being the internal conflict he deals with, the possible vamprism metaphor being the second, and perhaps the idea of rebirth with the "One, two, three".