PDA

View Full Version : Lords Of Salem

EvilDead
04-21-2013, 01:39 AM
Um... well

I have been waiting a long time to see this movie. I watched it tonight at the Calgary Underground film festival and was blown away. At how much I did not like this movie. I love the story about Salem and movies about witches. I really like Zombie's other movies but this movie had just horrible direction and dreadful acting. The best part about the screening tonight was a short film by Astron 6 called Bio -Cop. Check it out. Plus John 5's music was pretty cool.

2 out of 5

SangreV
04-21-2013, 01:41 AM
Wow, that's disappointing to hear. I had high hopes for this. I'm still looking forward to watching it.

EvilDead
04-21-2013, 01:46 AM
Wow, that's disappointing to hear. I had high hopes for this. I'm still looking forward to watching it.

First thing I heard when it was over from the guy behind me was how horrible he thought it was.. same thing I was thinking just wasn't sure if I was alone. I was not.

Hazekiah
04-21-2013, 01:56 AM
I saw the trailer about a billion times on the Twins of Evil tour and never really cared despite generally being interested in Zombie's work as a director. I thought that House of 1,000 Corpses was pretty good, schlocky fun and The Devil's Rejects was comparatively great, but nothing about that trailer they showed on tour was making me feel any great need to go see the film.

So I guess I'm not particularly surprised to hear a negative review, even from a fan of his films.

Norsefire
04-21-2013, 05:37 AM
I've seen quite a few bad reviews about it. The film isn't even getting a proper cinema release in the UK, it's only limited and I couldn't even find where it was being shown. So I've ordered the DVD from Amazon, as it's released here tomorrow.

I've always enjoyed the films RZ has put out so I didn't want to miss this. I will be back once I've watched it to post my thoughts on it.

DecayingSinner
04-21-2013, 01:02 PM
I've been reading many negative reviews of the film this weekend. Sounds like it was going to be very promising based on the publicity and the trailer, but it looks like it's just a rental. It did awful in the theaters this weekend in the US, coming in at #16. It wasn't widely released. I think it did about $622,000 on 354 screens.

Hazekiah
04-21-2013, 01:19 PM
That's actually not too bad.

For an estimated budget of about $2,500,000 or so, making roughly 1/5th of it back in one market over the course of one weekend is pretty decent, really. Especially for a movie from a genre that generally does better in rentals and home purchases later on anyway.

Dronepool
04-21-2013, 02:13 PM
I loved it! 7.5/10!

Adonai
04-21-2013, 03:03 PM
Didn't see it. Not interested in seeing it. Zombie is a douche.

The fact that it sucks doesn't surprise me either, 1000 corpses was the last great Zombie film and even that movie was lame.

04-21-2013, 06:09 PM
I didn't think any of Rob Zombie's flicks were something that you could even remotely consider "good".

Norsefire
04-22-2013, 04:40 AM
I would say The Devils Rejects is his best film.

Celebrity Killing Spree
04-22-2013, 05:29 AM
I liked his first two films to varying degrees because they were basically fan films. He completely hacked off of other horror movies but it was all in good fun and clearly meant as homage.

Apparently, at some point before he started work on Halloween he must have convinced himself that he was an actual filmmaker and it's been utter misery since.

That's too bad though. I went from being skeptical about this film to hopeful after seeing the trailer. The set pieces and the overall sound and atmosphere seemed interesting. I was hoping he might have actually had something worth bringing to the table this time.

Shangri-LIE
04-22-2013, 01:36 PM
Don't trust anyone's reviews on this website unless they are positive. Rob Zombie is a big bully who was going to punch our wittle Manson in the face and that hurts a lot of people feelwings, so of course they are going to say that the movie sucked.

Norsefire
04-22-2013, 03:46 PM
My DVD arrived today so very soon I shall be watching it.

ThreeEyedGod
04-22-2013, 04:28 PM
Fuck Rib Zombie to and fro, but The Devil's Rejects is for the most part pretty damn great.

Zsa Zsa
04-22-2013, 06:08 PM
Don't trust anyone's reviews on this website unless they are positive. Rob Zombie is a big bully who was going to punch our wittle Manson in the face and that hurts a lot of people feelwings, so of course they are going to say that the movie sucked.

So, even if it does suck, the people here can't say so? Sounds like the same shit from a different direction.

Fyi, I have not seen it, nor will I ever. I greatly dislike his movies, and I have done so for a lot longer than I have disliked him as a person. I loved House of 1,000 Corpses, but after the Halloween remake (and it's sequel that I did not see) and the highly overrated The Devil's Rejects, I don't care to see any more of his movies.

Dronepool
04-22-2013, 06:19 PM
I can't wait to hear the new Rob Zombie album :-D

Norsefire
04-22-2013, 07:21 PM
I just finished watching it. Im not sure about this film, it probably is his worst film. It's a bit slow in places, the story could have been a bit better. But it's not the worst film ever, there's some cool scenes in there and imagery and stuff, I just expected it to be a bit better.

Shangri-LIE
04-23-2013, 05:02 AM
So, even if it does suck, the people here can't say so? Sounds like the same shit from a different direction.

Fyi, I have not seen it, nor will I ever. I greatly dislike his movies, and I have done so for a lot longer than I have disliked him as a person. I loved House of 1,000 Corpses, but after the Halloween remake (and it's sequel that I did not see) and the highly overrated The Devil's Rejects, I don't care to see any more of his movies.

:)

Mi-CroMartie
04-23-2013, 05:28 AM
didn't think any of Rob Zombie's flicks were something that you could even remotely consider "good".

http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-Aq2ZQR5-HxQ/Ti8geSn58sI/AAAAAAAACEA/5or-L8FVF8k/s1600/tumblr_lormt5GEAr1qj64f1o1_500.png

The Devil's Rejects is for the most part pretty damn great.

Tutti fucking fruity!!!

marilynmansonsmysoulmate
04-23-2013, 10:12 PM
its not playing in small towns it got such a small release

iggy
04-30-2013, 04:48 AM

http://blog.adw.org/wp-content/uploads/2009/11/crying-baby.jpg

New movie's good, not great.

Celebrity Killing Spree
04-30-2013, 01:34 PM
So I finally saw this movie. And... to be honest I kind of feel like defending it.

Like I said earlier, I'm not really a Rob Zombie fan. I mostly enjoyed his work during his peak years but I was never rabid about it. And I liked his first two films to vary degrees but never considered him to be a "master of horror" or anything like that. So even when he was at what most people consider to be his best, I was mostly just lukewarm.

Then for the better part of a decade the quality of his work pretty much took a nose dive off of a clip with those abysmal Halloween movies and embarrassingly mediocre, uninspired music.

But this film... I wouldn't call it a turn around but... It's actually a film.

I always felt that his first two were big budget fan films. Good, but never really unique enough to stand on their own. Then he turned Halloween into some pro-wrestling commercial. But this time around, he actually comes across like a real filmmaker.

That being said, THIS FILM BORROWS A LOT FROM TI WEST. If you've ever seen House of the Devil or The Innkeepers, I think you will right away recognize the tone. And certainly, West himself was inspired by 90's era John Carpenter so that feeling is somewhat pervasive as well.

I'm not going to defend the events or the characters because they are for the most part superfluous. The real star is the camera work and the editing. And yes, those aren't things that necessarily define a movie as much as characters and writing but there is an effort here put into creating an experience that we haven't seen from him before.

I guess my feeling is this: It's not a particularly great film. It's definitely better than some of his other ones but it's also not the kind of movie that you sit down and watch again and again. There are pacing issues. You give up caring about most of the characters half way through and Sherri is obviously out-acted by all of the veteran talent in just about every scene. But despite all of those things, I'm glad he made it. And I do feel like it's a strong step in the right direction. John's music is extremely evocative as well. So at the end of the day, I didn't love the movie but it's made me excited again for what he's going to do next. Particularly if he's collaborating with John again.

gunz
04-30-2013, 05:51 PM
Saw this film over the weekend...I was traveling out of state anyways and all the closest locations were over 2 hours away...The movie soundtrack with John 5's brilliant guitar/musical talent blew me out of the water. The movie itself took some time to get into the story which is okay. Come to think of it ...it had a Rosemary's baby feel to it except old saggy tits roaming throughout the film. I liked the fact he worked up to this explosion of mass chaos at the very end. Rob made a disturbing film with this one & the more movies he makes you see more passion of how his editing & filming go. Meg Foster's eye will haunt your ass with those ice blue demonic shit going on with them (she did a damn good job in this film). I'd say at least rent this (watch it drunk if it isn't your cup of tea) if not take a listen at the soundtrack.

Celebrity Killing Spree
04-30-2013, 05:56 PM
it had a Rosemary's baby feel to it except old saggy tits roaming throughout the film.

I don't know if you noticed but he literally recreated one of the shots from Rosemary's Baby. That of when she is ill and the witch(es) knock on the door to take care of her and we see a POV through the peep hole.

I thought that was a nice visual reference which tied in well with the rest of the film.

Mi-CroMartie
04-30-2013, 09:41 PM
The appearance of the Dimmu Borgir-ish demon was completely unnecessary and it almost reduced the serious horror stuff into a Cradle of Filth music video. I also liked the reference to Manson's Long Hard Road out of Hell music video in the final act of Heidi's transformation.

Is it just me or those 3 old women esp. the redhead one reminded me sooo much of the trio in Disney's Hocus Pocus? One of them even has a Bette Midler vibe minus the humor. Apparently, the cursed music only affects the females but not the males. Damn, them bitches have all the fun in those naked Wicker Man style rituals or what.. The masturbating faceless priests was just too much and too damn high for orgasms.

Dellamore
05-10-2013, 06:50 AM
I liked it and i was reminded more of Ken Russell than Ti West (although i haven't seen Ti's films so that's why).

Mi-CroMartie
05-10-2013, 03:57 PM
(although i haven't seen Ti's films so that's why).

House of the Devil and the Innkeepers. I prefer the 1st one than the 2nd.

Dronepool
05-10-2013, 05:36 PM
Saw this film over the weekend...I was traveling out of state anyways and all the closest locations were over 2 hours away...The movie soundtrack with John 5's brilliant guitar/musical talent blew me out of the water. The movie itself took some time to get into the story which is okay. Come to think of it ...it had a Rosemary's baby feel to it except old saggy tits roaming throughout the film. I liked the fact he worked up to this explosion of mass chaos at the very end. Rob made a disturbing film with this one & the more movies he makes you see more passion of how his editing & filming go. Meg Foster's eye will haunt your ass with those ice blue demonic shit going on with them (she did a damn good job in this film). I'd say at least rent this (watch it drunk if it isn't your cup of tea) if not take a listen at the soundtrack.

I met Meg Foster in 2012. She is VERY cool. She was telling us a personal story and laughing at my friends dead baby jokes.

http://i50.tinypic.com/wk388p.jpg

TacK666
05-10-2013, 11:03 PM
Hated this movie. The trailers really built it up to be something it wasn't.