PDA

View Full Version : Hannibal

J.Lecter
05-01-2013, 08:29 PM
I am a huge Hannibal Lecter fan, to the point that I've already paid for a Season Pass on iTunes for the first season. I work evenings so I can't watch it on TV and though I could watch it online . . . I prefer to own it.

Anyone else watching this? There's a good amount of gore and cannibalism (though the majority of the characters don't know their eating human parts). You don't actually see people being killed or gutted, you just see the end result.

http://i2.wp.com/nerdbastards.com/wp-content/uploads/2013/04/Hannibal-Cast-Promotional-Photos-hannibal-tv-series-33869744-600-4491.jpg

Ceratina
05-02-2013, 09:47 PM
I'm also a Lecter fan, but I haven't decided if I want to watch this or not yet. I know The Silence of the Lambs (movie) is impossible to top, but even so, I haven't been that impressed with the other movies. I was really put off by Hannibal Rising, I thought both the book and movie were just terrible, and I really didn't like that they tried to start justifying the way Lecter is. Part of what I really liked about the character in Silence of the Lambs was that he was just that way - a super intelligent sociopath for no particular reason. Trying to explain that he's a murderous cannibal because some SPOILER ALERT! Nazis ate his sister (if I remember correctly)...I just thought it cheapened the whole thing. Some people are just evil.
So how does this series compare to the other Lecter movies/stories so far?

J.Lecter
05-11-2013, 10:25 AM
I'm also a Lecter fan, but I haven't decided if I want to watch this or not yet. I know The Silence of the Lambs (movie) is impossible to top, but even so, I haven't been that impressed with the other movies. I was really put off by Hannibal Rising, I thought both the book and movie were just terrible, and I really didn't like that they tried to start justifying the way Lecter is. Part of what I really liked about the character in Silence of the Lambs was that he was just that way - a super intelligent sociopath for no particular reason. Trying to explain that he's a murderous cannibal because some SPOILER ALERT! Nazis ate his sister (if I remember correctly)...I just thought it cheapened the whole thing. Some people are just evil.
So how does this series compare to the other Lecter movies/stories so far?

I will agree that Hannibal Rising wasn't that great (book and movie), but I vaguely remember reading that Thomas Harris might have been slightly pushed to write that book to kind-of complete the story . . . . or I could be completely wrong and he just didn't do a very good job at the writing. *meh* I will say that it wasn't Nazis' that ate his sister, the gang of men were trying to survive the war and make money at the same time. They sided with whoever they needed at the time. (Nor was it Nazis' that killed his parents, they died from a plane that crashed near their 'cottage home' and was firing all it's guns.)

Anywho, as for the TV series . . . I think Bryan Fuller has done an excellent job. The imagery is very strong and the acting is amazing. I've read other people say that the Hannibal portrayed here is more accurate to the books than the movie Hannibal, that being, Hannibal is much more charming and calculating. Also, since this series is set in the here-and-now, Hannibal's upbringing isn't that of the book Hannibal Rising. However, there are many many references (both verbal and visual) to Hannibal Rising, Red Dragon and even The Silence of the Lambs . . . and there's only been seven episodes.

All I can say is, watch two or three episodes and you'll know if you want to watch them all or not waste your time. It's one of those shows where you like it or you don't . . . there is no in between with this one.