PDA

View Full Version : Iron Man 3

Hazekiah
05-16-2013, 01:25 PM
*SPOILERS!!!*

Okay, now that that's out of the way...

I'd planned on going to the midnight premiere with a buddy, but I had no idea at the time that I'd be doing so after a 14 hour workday of backbreaking manual labor. So I zonked out after about the first 20 minutes and mostly only caught a minute or two of each quiet interlude following a loud action scene before passing back out. So, yeah, FAIL for me! And that's NOT a bad review of the movie, btw. It's just a really GOOD review of the Glenlivet we were drinking during the previews, lol.

So I was REALLY excited to finally see the movie "again" yesterday. Even though I managed to catch some MAJOR spoilers the first time around, I had no idea what happened for probably about 85% of the movie and was really curious about how they tied it all together and wrapped it up. From Tony storming the Mandarin's palace to the end credits was just a complete blank for me, so I basically had no clue wtf happened in the movie beyond the beginning and a few brief fragments of the middle.

Finally saw the whole thing, though.

CAN'T WAIT TO GO AGAIN!

The movie was GREAT. Very, very entertaining.

I guess a lot of people are bugged about Shane Black basically turning it into one of his buddy-cop movies and Tony being out of the suit so much and the Mandarin's big reveal, but personally I thought all that stuff was fuckin' awesome.

So I guess now I have to defend each.

The in-joke homage/motifs that Shane Black wrote in kicked ass. It was pretty easy to see RDJ/Cheadle as Gibson/Glover through most of their back-and-forths. Which I thought was truly inspired, with the Iron Patriot basically being the black lawman who's trying to help straighten out the white PTSD-afflicted loose cannon, who's constantly giving his buddy shit, just like Murtaugh and Riggs in Lethal Weapon. LOVE IT. We even had a scene with a Christmas tree lot, reminiscent of Riggs' epic introduction in his coke-bust scene. Also reminiscent of the whole Christmas thing in Kiss Kiss Bang Bang, Last Action Hero, and The Last Boy Scout, for that matter! And speaking of Kiss Kiss Bang Bang...oh, look. RDJ loses a finger again! Well, sort of. But don't worry, he can put it back on, lol.

Not to mention the destruction of Stark's mansion! It took me a minute to realize why it was so familiar, but then it hit me. Michael Hunsaker from Lethal Weapon! Yeah, right when our protagonist is about to unravel the whole thing and find out what's really going on...NOPE. Helicopter assault on a beachfront/cliff-face mansion instead!

Hahaha, good stuff. None of which takes away from the movie, of course. You either notice it or you don't. If anything it improves the movie by making it play to his strengths as a writer/director, and I thought it was really cool to put a comic book movie like Iron Man 3 in such good cinematic company. Whether you like his stuff or not, he indisputably made Iron Man 3 a Shane Black movie, which is something of a feat in and of itself. And he did so rather subtly, really.

And why NOT have Tony out of the suit so much? All it does is hide RDJ's awesomeness and they did a GREAT job of making Tony-out-of-his-suit absolutely central to the story, so it made perfect sense. And, of course, there are obvious comparisons to be made between that aspect of THIS movie versus that aspect of The Dark Knight Rises -- especially with both being big, superhero, tentpole sequel Summer movies featuring red herring, terrorist villains -- but since they BOTH dealt with billionaire industrialists as protagonists and handled it so differently I don't really feel like its an issue. (Tony actually having a "Clean Slate" program and explicitly calling it that was maybe laying it on a bit thick and rather unfortunate after Selina Kyle dealt so much with it last Summer, but oh well.) Plus, keeping Tony out of the suit made for some KILLER action setpieces that might not have been so interesting otherwise. The choreography and suit-hopping of the movie's climax is justification enough, really. That shit was AMAZING! I wasn't sure how well Shane Black would handle the more action-oriented CGI stuff, but damn. No complaints here!

And then there's the Mandarin. He was ALWAYS a manufactured "Yellow Peril" villain anyway so I guess I didn't really see it as much of a switch and just thought of it as a brilliant modernization of the same concept. And tying all that into the whole video-savvy-bin-Laden/war-for-oil/amputee-vets/crooked-VP/Roxxon/BP-Gulf-spill/etc. thing was pretty sweet, topical, and ballsy, too.

And, speaking of the Vice President, as an '80s action movie fan I was silently cheering on the presence of Miguel Ferrar as the Veep. They didn't really give him too much to do, but c'mon! He's back in the field of man-in-robosuit movies! Sure, I'd rather he were in next year's RoboCop remake instead, but either way it's a WIN.

On the subject of men-in-robosuits, I also thought it was pretty cool to see the President of the United States in the Iron Patriot armor, lol. Nice little wink-and-nod to the whole thing from the comics, where the Iron Patriot is really President Norman Osborne, formerly the Green Goblin. And of course it was cool of them to make the President's name be Ellis, after Warren Ellis, the sci-fi mastermind behind the "Extremis" storyline from the Iron Man comics. I know Marvel owns all that stuff and they didn't HAVE to give him credit, but considering that the first and third films of this trilogy drew SO MUCH from that one storyline, it's only fair.

All in all, I thought this movie wrapped up the trilogy really well. Taking us back to Switzerland during the opening to meet the guy who saved Tony's life in captivity and to see Tony blowing him off was a nice little treat which really helped bring things full-circle, just like the closing credits montage using footage from all three films. Definitely a sense of completion and closure there. Which naturally doubles nicely as a negotiation tool for RDJ to make another hundred million or so in exchange for The Avengers II now that his contract is over and the trilogy is complete, but whatever. He's worth it. I hope we'll continue to see more of Pepper Potts, too! Seeing her kick ass as Iron Potts or w/e was fantastic. Never been too big a fan of Paltrow's movies, but she's been GREAT in these. Hopefully they'll keep finding excuses to get her on film in her cutoffs and underwear too, lol. Mmm.

My only real disappointment with Iron Man 3 was the complete lack of AC/DC and Black Sabbath. WTF. Not even a t-shirt, ffs? They were clearly trying to tie things up in a neat little bow, but NOT using ANY music from those two bands totally drops the ball on that point. Anyone know what's up with that? Marvel Studios being cheap again? Shane Black just hates classic rock? Opportunistic band reps shitting the bed? Had to be something going on there, that music is pretty much part of the Iron Man brand by now.

Oh, and the end-credits scene.

Minimalist and goofy and kind of a letdown since it doesn't really lead anywhere and wasn't even as funny as the shwarma scene to make up for it, but it was still cool. Ruffalo and all the double-entendres MORE than make up for it, lol. Banner doesn't have the "temperament," and Tony-minus-the-ARC-reactor says he just had to "get that off my chest and put that out there."

Haha, nice.

Dronepool
05-16-2013, 06:30 PM
It was awesome. 8/10

kleiner352
05-17-2013, 01:12 PM
It had some of the strongest character development of the series and of recent Marvel films, and I really hope this trend continues in the other films coming. Definitely gearing up for a much more capable and diverse Iron Man in Avengers 2, and I'm happy to see it.

Hazekiah
05-20-2013, 08:28 AM
I just wish they would've addressed wtf the rest of the Avengers were doing during this national crisis.

An international terrorist repeatedly attacking American soil and attempting to assassinate the nation's foremost billionaire industrialist and the President of the United States really, really, really seems like the sort of thing that at least Nick Fury, S.H.I.E.L.D., and Captain America would've gotten involved in.

But, nah. We'll just let some guy deal with it. I'm sure he can handle it.

Even though he's dead.

o_O

kleiner352
05-20-2013, 03:56 PM
I just wish they would've addressed wtf the rest of the Avengers were doing during this national crisis.

An international terrorist repeatedly attacking American soil and attempting to assassinate the nation's foremost billionaire industrialist and the President of the United States really, really, really seems like the sort of thing that at least Nick Fury, S.H.I.E.L.D., and Captain America would've gotten involved in.

But, nah. We'll just let some guy deal with it. I'm sure he can handle it.

Even though he's dead.

o_O

Basically, assume that this takes place at the same time of all of the other forthcoming Avengers-connected films. Thor is off in his new film, as is Cap. with the Winter Soldier and Hulk doing, well, whatever the next Hulk film is. SHIELD is possibly busy with Cap. (I know very little of the next film) or potentially doing all the other things SHIELD does. It's worth keeping in mind that all of these characters coexist in the same world and like in the comics, they all have their own villains they're facing- they can't constantly take a break from their own fights to help one another.

Hazekiah
05-21-2013, 08:43 AM
Well, yeah...I'm well aware of how this works.

It's just annoying for the films to have established and constantly referenced their interconnectedness all the way up to The Avengers, only to then drop the ball with an almost entirely standalone film as the immediate follow-up after that.

Let's just think about it for a sec.

In Iron Man and Iron Man 2, big shit happens and S.H.I.E.L.D. gets involved. In Captain America: The First Avenger and Thor, big shit happens and S.H.I.E.L.D. gets involved. Even in The Incredible Hulk, Stark Industries tech is put to use to try and stop the Hulk and Tony Stark even steps in personally on behalf of S.H.I.E.L.D. because, well...big shit was happening and they had to get involved.

And then all of a sudden Tony Stark is practically existing in his own pocket universe?!?

I mean, the conspicuous absence of Tony's teammates and their lack of reaction following his "death," ALL of them being completely A.W.O.L. while a terrorist runs amok in the U.S., making demands of and threats on the President while hacking his phone on national TV, destroying Air Force One, and kidnapping him with the intent to execute him...all that is pretty srs bzns for anyone else NOT to have gotten themselves involved.

It's still a great movie, I just find it kinda irksome that it has this one HUGE inconsistency that could've been easily fixed with something as simple as one line of dialogue if they'd just taken the time to plug the hole.

:-\

kleiner352
05-21-2013, 02:13 PM
Well Haz, overall, you have to keep in mind budget, scheduling and the fact that actors have other commitments and cannot always make cameos in the other films being made.

Also, SHIELD was really only in all of the other films to give a logical reason behind all of these characters being in the same room come time for The Avengers. Now there's no need for that, and there was a lot of referencing to other characters throughout Iron Man 3, so they still acknowledged these characters as existing.

Hazekiah
10-22-2013, 01:20 PM
I mean, again...I'm not exactly mystified by the magic of moviemaking, lol.

I'm just pointing out a glaring oversight in a film I otherwise enjoyed immensely. It's nitpicking, sure, but the fact that these characters all know and rely upon one another is sort of the entire point of making these movies the way they've been made. They're all coexisting in the same world. Reminding us of that while we're watching every other superhero NOT step up in the middle of a major crisis really doesn't help solve the problem. I don't want all the Avengers to show up for every single individual threat, I just want ONE valid excuse offered within those movies for them NOT showing up to deal with something SO major.

That's not a contractual, scheduling, or budgetary problem...that's a screenwriting problem.

And it sticks out like a sore thumb in a movie that's otherwise so tightly-interwoven with its own expanded universe.

:-\

MrBonestripper
11-08-2013, 08:11 PM
i think i remember liking it

yeah i liked it

i think much more than the second one
and the second one was alright!

Norsefire
11-21-2013, 07:08 PM
I think they're all great films, but 3 is the best one for me.
I finally got them all the other week when they just released a Blu Ray box set in the UK, I refused to pay out around 20 per Blu Ray, when I knew they would cash in on a box set soon after the IM3 release. It was was around 30 for the box set, so it was worth waiting for.

The Ghoul
12-19-2013, 07:16 PM
Seen it some days ago. Watchable trash.

Hazekiah
03-01-2014, 01:15 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=77pnVFLkUjM