PDA

View Full Version : AIDS - Rape - Death - Suicide

Shangri-LIE
06-24-2013, 08:34 AM
https://fbcdn-sphotos-b-a.akamaihd.net/hphotos-ak-ash4/307920_561737393836933_1878311361_n.png

Marilyn Manson incorporates a lot of derogatory and offensive imagery into his live performances, as well as pretty much relegating almost everything he mentions in a song/interview to be about AIDS, beating women, rape, and a battery of other subjects that most people would take great offense to instead of the deeper more genuine subject matter he used to be admired for making commentary on. Do you find it entertaining? Is he doing it just to be outrageous or is there another reason for it? What is his intent? Why does he refer to himself as the AIDS of Space? This should be an interesting discussion. After all, Marilyn Manson has always been the type to do and say things to get a reaction. I an a Marilyn Manson fan, and I understand why he does what he does. I appreciate his art and always will. I am just curious as to if you find his current persona to be entertaining?

yuzukelly
06-24-2013, 08:37 AM
After all, Marilyn Manson has always been the type to do and say things to get a reaction. I an a Marilyn Manson fan, and I understand why he does what he does.

The whole point of this thread ._.

and I don't find this cute or funny :P

Emma
06-24-2013, 08:40 AM
As a fan, I do not always agree, but I understand social commentary and that he is not advocating beating up women. Do I find his Aids jokes funny? No, I don't, but then I don't find child abuse or rape jokes funny. Do I understand what he is doing when he brings certain things up in his songs? Yes I do.

Funny thing is I'm a Marilyn Manson fan too.

Shangri-LIE
06-24-2013, 08:45 AM
The whole point of this thread ._.

and I don't find this cute of funny :P

That's not the point, you're interpreting it that way. Stay on topic please.

crazybitch
06-24-2013, 12:04 PM
I love irony. We need more cynical atheists in the world and less Godly idiots. But there's a point where sarcasm becomes treachery, and treachery is often sarcasm in the media. So Marilyn Manson has done a fine job of weighing the scales.

Shangri-LIE
06-24-2013, 12:07 PM
I love irony. We need more cynical atheists in the world and less Godly idiots. But there's a point where sarcasm becomes treachery, and treachery is often sarcasm in the media. So Marilyn Manson has done a fine job of weighing the scales.

What?

kleiner352
06-24-2013, 04:22 PM
It's pretty childish to me at this point, but it's whatever. Doesn't keep me from enjoying what I enjoy about his work.

Mugwump
06-24-2013, 04:38 PM
This is an interesting discussion. Pretty edgy stuff.

Shangri-LIE
06-24-2013, 07:37 PM
This is an interesting discussion. Pretty edgy stuff.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=efHCdKb5UWc

The Empirical Guy
06-25-2013, 02:37 AM
Why does he refer to himself as the AIDS of Space?

I hope you at least already know the answer to this, I immediately assumed it was a spoonerism of "ace of spades".

kleiner352
06-25-2013, 03:04 AM
I hope you at least already know the answer to this, I immediately assumed it was a spoonerism of "ace of spades".

I thought it was a Pooty Tangerism for your father being killed by a gorilla in a steel factory.

Shangri-LIE
06-25-2013, 06:57 AM

I did know that. I wasn't really asking what it means by referring to himself as that on his tumblr as much as I was asking why he would refer to himself as that.

Two Faced Egg (23)
10-16-2015, 05:13 PM
I have thought about this a lot. I have a subjective answer that works as double meaning , inspiration came from one of My all time favorite writers Rod Serling - Damn He is Good. Anyway. "Celestial AIDS" get it ? Ultra-Terrestrials that offer help in strange and Mysterious ways.

Mexicanfiend
10-17-2015, 08:59 AM
Being a fan doesn't neccesarily means that you have to agree 100% with what the artist does. As someone else already said: to me it sounds childish most of the times, like a "look! I'm edgy and funny at the same time" attitude. But then again, I haven't read MM interviews in a serious way since 2008.

In the other hand, I do enjoy that kind of humor when it's done properly. South Park, for example, is based in the same kind of humor, and I laugh with lots of situations depicted there that many undoubtely consider offensive.

So I guess that, in the end, it all depends if I find the commetary funny or just cheesy.

Elizabeth Casto
02-16-2016, 02:54 AM
Its been 10 years..we can joke about AIDS.....i love south park

Shangri-LIE
02-16-2016, 06:12 AM
The funny thing about this thread is that I am very Anti-PC and was just making it for the sake of being a hypocrite. I miss when people were actually offended by Marilyn Manson.

Mexicanfiend
02-18-2016, 05:49 AM
The funny thing about this thread is that I am very Anti-PC and was just making it for the sake of being a hypocrite. I miss when people were actually offended by Marilyn Manson.

The pope just visited my country. I established my position about it on my FB by just sharing MM's "Antichrist Superstar" video (the live one)... shuld have seen my family's reaction. But I'm talking about the same people that are capable of sleeping the night before on the street, just to see the pope pass by in less than 5 seconds. so...

M Tragedy666
02-19-2016, 01:26 AM
sometimes when you rape someone, the victim gives you aids and then after you unsuccessfully sue them, you got about 10 years before it turns into full blown aids and ya gotta commit suicide before it gets that bad and so death is inevitable.

Celluloidholes
10-04-2017, 06:14 AM
I love the horrible things he says, I really do. I hate the fact that things are becoming "safer" and regulated. I get anxious over security cameras in places which shouldn't have them. It's exhilarating to find something terrible that we can never cover up.

Shangri-LIE
10-04-2017, 01:49 PM
I love the horrible things he says, I really do. I hate the fact that things are becoming "safer" and regulated. I get anxious over security cameras in places which shouldn't have them. It's exhilarating to find something terrible that we can never cover up.

I agree. See what I had to say a few posts up that was from 2/16/2016

Absolution
10-05-2017, 04:40 AM
I think that being offensive for the sake of being offensive, with no thought behind it, is terribly boring

Shangri-LIE
10-05-2017, 04:52 AM
I think that being offensive for the sake of being offensive, with no thought behind it, is terribly boring

I tend to agree with that. At the same time, and I'm not one to really over examine Manson's words or art/music, is that he was just doing all of this to mock a society that does this on a daily basis. Especially nowadays. Making fun of "perpetual rebellion with absolutely no cause.". What I just said may be complete bullshit, but that's my take on it.

Absolution
10-05-2017, 12:55 PM
I tend to agree with that. At the same time, and I'm not one to really over examine Manson's words or art/music, is that he was just doing all of this to mock a society that does this on a daily basis. Especially nowadays. Making fun of "perpetual rebellion with absolutely no cause.". What I just said may be complete bullshit, but that's my take on it.

If you're acting in a particular way to make a statement but you're acting that way always then that way of acting is you wether it's coming from a genuine place or not. Maybe it's a show he puts on for media appearances and he's a very different person in real life, but that possibility shouldn't matter to us who don't know him in person. I like the social critique in his work but I don't care at all for his interviewee persona.