PDA

View Full Version : Disney

yuzukelly
06-27-2013, 10:26 AM
Yay! :D I don't think there is one... sorry if there is (I think I start all of my threads like this lol)

http://cdn.pastemagazine.com/www/articles/disney_logo_20091101.jpg?1268304201

In addition to anime, believe it or not I also like all sorts of other cartoons including Disney movies! XD I guess to talk about all sorts of little Disney things because I know some of you are bound to enjoy Disney too :>

I recently watched Atlantis, I was actually disappointed in it... and I think it's weird that Mulan is considered a princess while Kida and Eilonwy aren't in that lineup, though. I do love Mulan though :> I think my favorite princess... hmm... it actually changes from time to time, but I really like Aurora at the moment :) My favorite movie though is Nightmare before Christmas :P It's just my favorite movie anyways, so of course it would be my favorite Disney movie.

I never usually go see movies in theaters (the only exception for me is Ghibli, and I usually go to the dollar movies to see Tim Burton stuff since I love his movies) but Frozen seems like it has an interesting story, but the one sister looks so weird and one just looks like a copy of rapunzel xD

I also recently re-watched Treasure Planet
http://ia.media-imdb.com/images/M/MV5BMTQ0NDg3MjU2OV5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTYwODgyMDg5._V1_S Y317_CR0,0,214,317_.jpg
anyone else into this movie? My brother had it on vhs tape and we used to watch it all the time with my dad. and I just really love the space setting XD

Lucille
06-28-2013, 10:18 PM
The lady who taught me storyboarding was a storyboarder and animator on Treasure Planet lol, although shamefully I've never watched it. One day lol

When it comes to Disney there's so much greatness in the past, however personally The Little Mermaid takes the cake for me. I've loved this movie passionately since I was 4, and I will continue to love it forever. Ursula <3

yuzukelly
06-29-2013, 08:46 AM
Oh, that's really awesome! o_o

Eeeee yes the Little Mermaid x3 I used to watch that one a lot :') and haha, I think my favorite song is actually Poor Unfortunate Souls! XD I think there is going to be many more amazing movies, it just kind of sucks that they're leaving hand drawn animation...

Crazy_Baby
06-30-2013, 07:41 AM
I hadn't seen The Little Mermaid in years, so a few months ago myself and a friend of mine who is a Disney nut watched it together. I thought I was really going to enjoy it, I was sorely disappointed :( I mean it was okay but it left me cold. So then we watched Beauty and the Beast, and that also ended up being pretty meh for me. The magic is dead :'( Haha.

Most of the animated Disney films I used to watch when I was a kid don't seem to do anything much for me now which is a pity, although the Lion King and Aladdin off of the top of my head are still worth the watch. There are others I really should go back and watch before I write them off. But I'm not crazy about any of them. I never was hugely into Disney though even as a kid. I do really like some of the Pixar movies, but I believe they only came under Disney around 2006 right? I'm a much bigger fan of Studio Ghibli stuff, they seem to have so much more depth to them and I just connect with them more for whatever reason.

Norsefire
06-30-2013, 08:39 AM
I grew up watching Disney films, one we had on VHS were Alice In Wonderland, The Little Mermaid, The Jungle Book, Beauty And The Beast, Lady and the Tramp, The Rescuers, The Lion King... not sure if we owned anymore than that. But I really liked that style of animation, I'm totally not into all this new digital stuff. I remember seeing Toy Story and I didn't really like that, probably mostly because of the animation.

But then there's the live action films from Disney, just looking down the list of films on wiki I saw Honey, I Shrunk the Kids. That's a great film, I didn't know Disney made that. Hocus Pocus is another great film.
But newer films such as National Treasure, Tron: Legacy and the Pirates of the Caribbean films, I think they're all awesome. I like those sort of Disney films now, but totally not into any of the new animated films they put out.

yuzukelly
06-30-2013, 08:41 AM
I totally agree with the Studio Ghibli thing :) I already have an anime thread up so I didn't think of making a separate topic for them, but since Disney does to the dubbing for the American releases and they usually have the Disney logo on their covers, I say they count in this thread too! x3

I was actually really disappointed, they didn't do the dubbing for From up on Poppy Hill... I have no idea why (I never looked into it)... I think the company is called gkids or something and they're releasing it in different cities every week. My city has yet to get a date and it's so frustrating... I don't know why they didn't just let Disney do it, because all of the other movies they handled here came out normally... I actually own Poppy Hill now, it's some set with all Ghibli movies and I really want to see it at the movies first, in English (the one I own has only subtitles) and ahh xD

edit; From the live action movies you've listed, I've actually have only seen Honey I Shrunk the Kids and National Treasure XD I've heard of the others, and I know that pirate movie is really popular... I should try and watch them at some point XD

Have you seen Wreck it Ralph, Norse? It's the digital animation (I prefer the hand drawn stuff, too) but it's really good. I finally saw it earlier this summer, I had always heard good things about it and I wasn't disappointed.

Norsefire
06-30-2013, 09:11 AM
No I haven't seen Wreck it Ralph, I really don't watch those animations.

I did see Finding Nemo 3D on holiday last year... I was like WOW this is how I imagine it's like to be on LSD.

yuzukelly
06-30-2013, 10:30 AM
I never saw it in 3D, but I have seen it before ;w; It's such a sweet movie Eeeee ;w;

Crazy_Baby
06-30-2013, 11:18 AM
@yuzukelly - I actually really don't care for the English dubs for any of the Ghibli films I've seen, Disney or otherwise - I much prefer original audio with subtitles. I find you never realise how important the voice acting is until you see a film with the original actors and then hear a dub - it can completely change a character. Jiji from Kiki's Delivery Service comes to mind. I suppose it can be a good thing sometimes - allowing for different interpretations of a character - but I prefer sticking with the originals usually. They also seem to have a habit of changing the music which bothers me. Ponyo immediately springs to mind, I'm sure they had their reasons for having different songs with the English dub to keep the language consistent but that freaking main song in English, it's awful. The original song is so sweet.

That's not to say that dubs don't have their uses, it's good to have a choice and it's also handy for very small children or others who have difficulty reading.

yuzukelly
06-30-2013, 11:40 AM
Really? :o I know there are tons of crappy anime dubs out there, but I always thought that the dubs for Ghibli films were amazing :) I think the only one that comes to mind that wasn't as good as it could have been was the voice actor for Porco Rosso. The voice fit the character, but... the acting just wasn't that good XD but for the most part I think they do good. It's actually been a really long time since I watched Kiki in Japanese... but yeah I remember they were different @.@ I know what you mean though. Luna from Sailor Moon always bugged me, I used to accept her English voice but after hearing her Japanese voice...

The Ponyo song was good, well, the parts where they stuck with the actual song. This part I mean>

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pp4ev17kVoo

but yeah... the part after that was awful. This part I'm pretty sure is an almost exact version of the Japanese, but the rest of the song.... ugh. I think they did a good job with the voices though, I was kind of disappointed because I was thinking they chose those kids because of their siblings, but they did a really good job as Ponyo and Sousuke :D Very pleasantly surprised :D

Thinking about it, tt is weird that Kiki had the songs changed. I think that might be the only Ghibli movie that had that much of a change (besides the part added to the Ponyo song), it's either the English translation of the song (Like Mononoke) or they just leave it along :> I don't think I saw the streamline sub of Kiki, but I saw the streamline dub of Cagliostro and it was shit so that is my impression of them XD That version might not be so good.... but I did like the Disney version a lot :D

Crazy_Baby
06-30-2013, 12:27 PM
Ugh no, even that part of the Ponyo song... I just really don't like it haha! No offence to the kids I guess but their voices just drive me mad, very hard to listen to.

When it comes to any film I'll always opt for the original audio with subtitles, never the dub unless I have no choice. That's just my preference though (I don't want to come across as one of those people, you know the type - "oh my gawww how could you possibly watch anything but the original you ignoramus?!!1!"), and it's not that some of the Ghibli English dubs aren't good I just figure why would I bother watching a dub when I can watch the original as it was originally intended to be experienced! =D Is there any reason in particular that you tend to watch the dubbed versions over the originals?

yuzukelly
06-30-2013, 12:33 PM
Ahhh, ok I understand XD

and I see what you're saying :> The reason I prefer dubs is because I like focusing on the animations, the art and drawings, etc, and I know some people can both read the subtitles and look, I mean, it's not like I can't, but for me I prefer not having to worry about missing part of the dialogue (and I tend to misread a lot of stuff XD) and I don't have to worry about that when I hear the English versions :> but also, there are times I just want something in the background, I'll usually put on Spirited Away or Princess Mononoke and just draw and I can listen to what's going on :>

Crazy_Baby
06-30-2013, 12:48 PM
They sound like perfectly valid reasons to me! Thanks for answering. I don't have an issue with reading and enjoying the animations at the same time but once again that's just me. I often find as well with some of my friends that whatever version they see first tends to be the one they have a preference for, so if they see the Disney dub for Kiki's Delivery Service for instance they seem to stick to liking that one the most. On a slightly different note, have you ever seen a Simpsons episode dubbed in a different language? It sounds so...weird...haha.

yuzukelly
06-30-2013, 01:16 PM
That's true :) I've noticed that I do that too, favor the one I see first XD I can catch myself now,though:D

I actually haven't, but someone on tumblr posted a video of a Japanese version of King of the Hill and it was the weirdest thing! XD