PDA

View Full Version : At what age does goth stop being cool?

Shangri-LIE
06-29-2013, 08:19 AM
There is a difference between eccentricity, and being "goth". This doesn't pertain to any stage attire you might wear if you are in a band, or if you decide to dress a certain way for a concert by an artist, (not limited to MM), where ridiculous costumes are the norm. I will admit that I hold a double standard for men. I don't care if a woman is gothic because gothic women are hot and I am perfectly fine for that. I am talking about grown men who wear spike collars on a daily basis who paint their faces up, wear dumb ass pendants, bracelets with platform boots. Again, there are occasions when that is acceptable. I am referring to people who wake up every day and try to look like spooky misfits that no one understands because they are so different. At what age should we start punching grown men for dressing this way, for not wanting a good job or an education, or just jump start their brain that stalled out at 14 years of age? When does it become ridiculous?

Terrapin
06-29-2013, 08:32 AM
Was it really ever cool?

Looking "goth" should never be acceptable for any age, at any time. Niche fads are an embarrassingly pointless construct derived from an overbearing corporate infrastructure with too much time on its hands. It's nothing more than some superficial product/image that the fat cats cashed in on for impressionable youth to eat up. "Goth" merely represents another vapid, overpriced, signification of the ridiculous culture we live among.

But hey, to each their own.

Cringeon
06-29-2013, 10:12 AM
It's always ridiculous, but I suppose that's why some people do it. I think I stopped by 16 or so. I still wear primarily black, but nothing considered goth.

ThreeEyedGod
06-29-2013, 11:08 AM

Mexicanfiend
06-29-2013, 11:50 AM
I don't know if there's an specific age for that, it all depends of your own maturity and your approach on life.

One of the disadvantages of being part of any sub-culture as a teenager is that all what's outside of it is rejected; thus it took me a lot of effort to like genres and styles of music beyond grawl voices, repetitive guitar riffs and sampled drums; in retrospective I feel I lose a few years of my life stuck in a single musical style, thinking I was a "music-know-it-all".

And... altough I disagree 100% with Terrapin's post, I guess there's a moment in which you can't believe anymore all the "ideals" -whatever those are- the goth culture stands for. I was never a fully goth person, but I stopped wearing black nail polish when I was 21 or 22.

FeedYourHead
06-29-2013, 01:09 PM
After the year 1999

Mugwump
06-29-2013, 01:36 PM
The concept of "cool" kind of just dissipates after awhile. So much random shit is "cool" for such a minute amount of time the idea becomes a bit silly.

Adults can dress goth or wear Renaissance clothes or whatever they want, who cares.

yuzukelly
06-29-2013, 01:54 PM
Adults can dress goth or wear Renaissance clothes or whatever they want, who cares.

Pretty much my feelings on the subject. If they're not hurting anyone or themselves and it makes them happy, who really cares anyways?

Shangri-LIE
06-29-2013, 02:07 PM
It hurts their credibility. It hurts people to look at. It gets them turned down for jobs. It means that they haven't matured. It means that they will probably end up with either no partner in life or a very low quality one. For instance, if I wanted to wear an adult diaper as a pair of swimming trunks, I can't do that because I am a grown up. I'd be arrested or asked to leave. Also, it's not about cos play. It's about literally thinking that you are some sort of vampire, mystic, or whatever other type of retarded wizard you think you are. "Look how different I am". "I am deep and sensitive so I cut myself and wear fake blood on clothes so people can see how extreme I am". Grow up.

yuzukelly
06-29-2013, 02:11 PM
Hrm, there is a difference between wearing those costumes either in your personal life and at a job. If it's at a job, I agree they should wear more appropriate clothing. but if it's after they're done and some guy wants to put on makeup and a spike collar and walk around, no one is asking you to look at them.

Shangri-LIE
06-29-2013, 02:26 PM
Hrm, there is a difference between wearing those costumes either in your personal life and at a job. If it's at a job, I agree they should wear more appropriate clothing. but if it's after they're done and some guy wants to put on makeup and a spike collar and walk around, no one is asking you to look at them.

Most respectable adults wear formal attire when they are "hanging" around their friends in public. Unless it's just being casual and goofy and not really giving a fuck. It's not taking it seriously and absorbing it as a part of who you are. If you are what you wear then there is no substance to you whatsoever. It's just the simple loathing of people who try to look "mysterious" or "scary" by wearing ridiculous clothing and face paint. The most interesting, or even deranged people for that matter, you can imagine are those debonair looking successful types who have bright white teeth, wear suits and ties, and go golfing. Those are the scary ones because they could hide a body in their basement for decades, and decades, and decades, and decades, and decades, and no one would expect it. I am one of those people. Again there are the exceptions of just hanging around the house, or when Halloween rolls around, rock concerts, being an asshole in video chat etc...

The point is. People who give into alternative fashion trends make themselves targets. It's much more mature to present yourself by being astute, affable, and square even if you're not.

yuzukelly
06-29-2013, 02:41 PM
Did I just give a serious opinion in another joke thread. Ah well.

Shangri-LIE
06-29-2013, 02:46 PM
No, it's not a joke thread. Did you notice that others agree and have also given their input on how ridiculous it is?

yuzukelly
06-29-2013, 02:54 PM
Yeah :P but if an adult doesn't go out of their way to hurt other humans, has a job and supports himself and takes care of his responsibilities, those kind of people are more respectable than the ones who just look the part. Like I said, I agree with the looking professional while at work thing, but if one is going to judge others based on how they like to dress in their free time, is there really substance to that person?

There is a stereotype that goes along with how you look... but it really doesn't affect me and there's no point in mocking them if it makes them happy and they're not treating other people like crap.

Shangri-LIE
06-29-2013, 02:59 PM
Kids

BlueEyeLens
06-29-2013, 04:04 PM
Sometimes you can't throw out the old with the new. Some of us that still do live the 90's, do so because that's how we lived and becomes part of us. What others may think or judge, doesn't matter to us. Why should it? It really all comes down to the personalty of a person, how the person carries themself. Sure there's people out there that "look the part" just for attention, they're easy to notice, but easily ignored.

Your mentality is what defines you, not what you put on your skin.

Mugwump
06-29-2013, 04:30 PM
Did I just give a serious opinion in another joke thread. Ah well.

Yep.

Shangri-LIE
06-29-2013, 04:37 PM
Thought mugwump was gay? I must be wrong though because I think him and Yuzu want to bang.

Anyway, it's not a joke thread and was being taken seriously until both of you ruined it.

yuzukelly
06-29-2013, 04:41 PM
you can imagine are those debonair looking successful types who have bright white teeth, wear suits and ties, and go golfing. Those are the scary ones because they could hide a body in their basement for decades, and decades, and decades, and decades, and decades, and no one would expect it. I am one of those people.

Very serious.

Shangri-LIE
06-29-2013, 04:48 PM
Very serious.

*Correction

No, I was being serious with that statement. Of course I added that "I am one of those people" in there for the lulz. But some of the most monstrous, sadistic, and generally fucked up overall people that have existed, (in American culture for example), were well dressed, non suspect very successful people. And if they weren't successful they were "good guys" who no one would ever have thought to have been that way.

crazybitch
06-29-2013, 09:17 PM
I feel that Goth is more of an attitude than a fashion. Goth is not really a fad, nor was it meant to be. A bunch of teens wearing eyeliner is a repulsive misrepresentation of Goth. I just call that Emo because it's more of a fad and Hot Topic thing, lol. I think Goths typically don't have to call themselves Goth, they just are. We like being dark, depressed, and hate authority.

It's the opposite of showing off, in fact it's more of a turning within. That's all I can think of at the moment.

Golden Eel
06-29-2013, 09:52 PM
I feel that Goth is more of an attitude than a fashion. Goth is not really a fad, nor was it meant to be. A bunch of teens wearing eyeliner is a repulsive misrepresentation of Goth. I just call that Emo because it's more of a fad and Hot Topic thing, lol. I think Goths typically don't have to call themselves Goth, they just are. We like being dark, depressed, and hate authority.

It's the opposite of showing off, in fact it's more of a turning within. That's all I can think of at the moment.

I'm not part of a cliche subculture, only those other guys are.

stagesofcoma
06-29-2013, 11:32 PM
I'm rather astonished to see so many people saying, essentially, "It's just a phase," just like (I would imagine) several of us were told growing up.

In my opinion, the way someone thinks or chooses to dress is purely up to the individual. I never thought goth was about being "cool". Goth seems to be the antithesis of cool, which was a lot of the appeal it had for me growing up. I still label myself goth, when I resort to labeling.

Mexicanfiend
06-30-2013, 07:06 PM
I'm rather astonished to see so many people saying, essentially, "It's just a phase," just like (I would imagine) several of us were told growing up.

I don't know how old you are (I'm almost reaching the third floor), but as I've been growing up and learning more about life, I realized that all that teenage angst we all experience is nothing more than bullshit in many cases, you have no idea how many times I've caught myself saying "my parents were right about this and that" recently.

Tater
06-30-2013, 09:35 PM
I think it depends on who you are, some people can pull of a "goth" or subdued gothic look for as long as they damn well please and others wind up looking the fool past the age of 20 or so. \_(ツ)_/

stagesofcoma
07-01-2013, 01:07 AM
I don't know how old you are (I'm almost reaching the third floor), but as I've been growing up and learning more about life, I realized that all that teenage angst we all experience is nothing more than bullshit in many cases, you have no idea how many times I've caught myself saying "my parents were right about this and that" recently.
I've found my parents right about many things over the years as well, just not that. I'm 31. Perhaps I had a different set of grievances as a teen than most. Many are still the same, really. I still rally against censorship, still believe the system is broken, still rebel against oppression, etc. In many ways, I'm still an angsty teen- I just don't do anything about it, to speak of, anymore.

Dronepool
07-01-2013, 01:14 AM
The concept of "cool" kind of just dissipates after awhile. So much random shit is "cool" for such a minute amount of time the idea becomes a bit silly.

This.

If somebody likes dressing a certain way, there's nothing wrong with it.

crazybitch
07-01-2013, 04:29 AM
I'm not part of a cliche subculture, only those other guys are.

Well good for you. :P

Crazy_Baby
07-01-2013, 07:54 AM
Well I will give a serious reply on the topic even though you never know with half the threads here haha! As Tater said, some people can just pull of an 'extreme' look no matter the age and it works well for them, and then other people just look like fools. I'm not sure what factors exactly set the fools apart from the others, it comes down to the person I suppose.

I think the more creative people in the world are the ones that can pull almost anything off for a number of reasons. They're going to have an eye for aesthetics and if they're going for a more 'gothic' look as in the case of this thread, they're probably going to do it well as opposed to wearing the most unflattering clothes for their figure just because that's what you're supposed to wear and having poorly applied god awful makeup. I'm sure we've all seen plenty of people like that that look ridiculous. And yes beauty is in the eye of the beholder but you can usually see when someone knows what they're doing with their look (even if you don't like that persons style) and someone that hasn't really got a clue what they're doing. Of course being an interesting person under all the artifice obviously also helps, a lot. How you craft your appearance is really just another form of art in my opinion, and some people are naturally going to be better at it than others. Some people don't really care about it at all or don't put much thought into it.

What does admittedly annoy me though is when a person (often in their mid 20s/early 30s) suddenly 'grows up' and loses all sense of style and starts dressing in the most boring bland crap they can find. And they think everyone else who doesn't suddenly decide to dress like them is deluding themselves and clinging to their youth, or they haven't matured. But then I think those people were probably the fad followers in their teen years that never developed their own sense of style in the first place so it's just natural progression - now I'm a grown up with responsibilities and shit so I'd better dress how I think a grown up should.

I also understand that's just my hang up because as I mentioned already some people genuinely just don't give a toss about clothes at all, or they're not the creative types, they'll just wear whatever their friends/peers are wearing without putting much thought into it. And there's nothing wrong with that necessarily, it just bothers me because I like looking at interesting, attractive things ;P But just because you don't put any stock into your own clothes doesn't mean others don't and it doesn't mean it's not a valid form of art/expression, whatever you want to call it just because you don't care. I'm sure I don't give a shit about half of the stuff you like to do either. However yes I do know exactly the type of people that some posters here are probably thinking of, and yes they do make me chuckle. Like people that actually think they're vampires or something. Bless. But I would classify them as the fad followers that haven't got a clue what they're doing or why they're really doing it, but they're not harming anyone so leave them to it.

Shangri-LIE
07-01-2013, 02:11 PM
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IccT99VMZR4

Mexicanfiend
07-01-2013, 04:22 PM
I've found my parents right about many things over the years as well, just not that. I'm 31. Perhaps I had a different set of grievances as a teen than most. Many are still the same, really. I still rally against censorship, still believe the system is broken, still rebel against oppression, etc. In many ways, I'm still an angsty teen- I just don't do anything about it, to speak of, anymore.

Well, that's not teenage angst in my eyes, that is a true desire of seeing change and build a better world; and the day we lose that fuel and fury, we will be utterly lost.

Dronepool
07-01-2013, 06:17 PM
What does admittedly annoy me though is when a person (often in their mid 20s/early 30s) suddenly 'grows up' and loses all sense of style and starts dressing in the most boring bland crap they can find. And they think everyone else who doesn't suddenly decide to dress like them is deluding themselves and clinging to their youth, or they haven't matured. But then I think those people were probably the fad followers in their teen years that never developed their own sense of style in the first place so it's just natural progression - now I'm a grown up with responsibilities and shit so I'd better dress how I think a grown up should.

Agreed!

There's nothing wrong with dressing however you want at any age as long as you like it. If it's cliche Hot Topic goth or your typical metalhead or punk look or the good old classic goth look or something eccentric/unique or boring/plain/causal or a hybrid of whatever styles you like. As long as you don't put on a leather spiked jacket and think/claim you're doing something new and rebellious or pull a Chris Brown/Rihanna/Kayne West, it shouldn't be an issue.

I find it funny when certain people from different "scenes" talk shit - like for example metal heads dressed in your basic leather biker jacket (that became trendy now thanks to fake styles from people like Rihanna and Kayne West) jeans and some metal band t-shirt talking smack about other styles while they themselves are conforming to a style.

Cat
07-02-2013, 05:03 AM
When does it become ridiculous?

Your topic is ridiculous!

I would have respected you more if this was a topic about old people and their sex life :-)

Cat
07-02-2013, 05:21 AM
Just to prevent misunderstandings, I sure hope old people still have a sex life hehe, I mean, why the hell not?! - What does age has to do with anything if you are happy and healthy?!

The Empirical Guy
07-02-2013, 05:22 AM
Great, now we'll have a Shangs-authored thread about old people fucking. I'm sure it's going to be a hoot.

*secretly looking forward to it*

Scentless Apprentice
07-02-2013, 05:57 AM
I still like put on my vampire cape I've had since 1st grade Halloween but other than that nothing too crazy.

Scentless Apprentice
07-02-2013, 06:01 AM
[QUOTE=Shangs; The most interesting, or even deranged people for that matter, you can imagine are those debonair looking successful types who have bright white teeth, wear suits and ties, and go golfing.

Charles Manson

Shangri-LIE
07-02-2013, 07:08 AM
Your topic is ridiculous!

I would have respected you more if this was a topic about old people and their sex life :-)

Ask and ye shall receive. Also, my topic isn't ridiculous. Stop being so said. Get your kid arms up in the fuckin air. :)

Alterkaker66
07-02-2013, 07:47 PM
Never had the luxury of dressing the way I felt, or thought when I was *ack* younger. The nicest compliment this Mr. Everyshmuck ever had was a friend that said my brains were spiked. Still are. Clothes, eh, they're comfortable or they're not. Period.

SangreV
09-14-2013, 10:32 PM
It becomes uncool as soon as you label yourself as being 'goth', regardless of age.

However, being yourself never stops being 'cool'. But people who are trying to be cool and people who are trying not to be uncool, are in fact, uncool.

slappyDUMMY
09-16-2013, 02:06 PM
my short answer is whatever age it starts to conflict with opportunity in your life (be it jobs, relationships, things you want more than the 'identity'). I do have plenty of friends with good jobs, good relationships, and great opportunities while maintaining their age and goth interest as well.

OmegasTits
10-01-2013, 01:50 PM
I'll admit that I was guilty of this when I was about 14. Not so much that I was trying to label myself, I just started dressing the style and was looking for a place to fit in. It just seemed logical to say that I dressed that way because "I [am] a goth".

I wasn't even into any of the true goth bands that were prominent in the 80's, although Skinny Puppy may count, but again, I don't like using the label or the term "goth" anymore. Some people may use the label with me, but I don't dress the part as much. No eyeliner or black nail polish, I cut that out years ago. My clothing still consists of almost all black, but that's a genuine preference and not an attempt to fit in.

DrClitoris
10-20-2013, 12:52 PM
16-17, not later than 18.

Celebrity Killing Spree
10-22-2013, 08:08 PM
I don't even think Goth STARTS until you're in your 80s. Those people have got that grim and deathly thing down.

Whisky And Speed
10-25-2013, 07:42 AM
40...... I'm not kidding because under 40 you aren't old enough to stop anything cool, but 40 + you must act as a mature person.

BlueEyeLens
10-25-2013, 12:43 PM
I was mature at 16 then became a rebel from the waist down at 18. Shit does happen!

Alterkaker66
10-25-2013, 02:49 PM
...I was born a rebel, down in DC on a Tuesday morning... Thanks Tom Petty *snarky grin*

Halo Infinity
10-29-2013, 07:52 PM
From what I recall, most people seem to say as soon as you graduate high school. (And but of course, never as well.) =P

Shangri-LIE
10-30-2013, 04:05 AM
Most people dress the part in order to acquire something or someone. Whether it be a job, a potential partner, whatever circle they want to be part of. They're called costumes. I don't think anyone who is confident in themselves to accomplish things should rely on maintaining a certain image in order to find that comfort. It comes from the actions you take, the things you get done, and who you are as a person overall. I have goth friends and I mean no disrespect when I say that dressing that way just for the simple fact that it makes you feel better about your flaws does nothing more than clown you more. I'm not making fun of people who consider themselves "goth", but your fashion is not the most important thing. Look at Manson for instance. Look at his pictures before he became "Marilyn Manson". He had a tan, blonde-ish hair, jeans and a dress shirt. Then he decided he wanted to make a career out of being in a band. He customized his wardrobe to fit his message and his art. He's not really "gothic" per se ,(lol had to use that one), but it is a good example.

Halo Infinity
11-02-2013, 09:33 PM
Are there really goths that show up to job interviews dressed like that? I was reading through the posts that mentioned them not being able to get hired, or remain hired, and thought that would only be an issue if they showed up the job interview or job like that. I really was just wondering, because it sounds like some of you have seen and heard stories of goths going to job interviews dressed like that.

BlueEyeLens
11-03-2013, 01:38 AM
Hot Topic is the exception to the "rule". lol. Imagne looking like a vampire workin' at McDonald's drive thru. "Is there blood on my big mac? is there semen on my fries?! what the fuck?!" haha

Dronepool
11-03-2013, 02:26 AM
I'm an Intergalactic goth grunge rock n roll hippie from Planet 15.

Alterkaker66
11-03-2013, 10:22 AM
Yep, I've known people who interviewed, or showed up for work in, their I'm an individual, take it or leave it clothes. *Sigh* If you want the job you have to accept the limits it involves. It's not just the young. I remember a woman who was a Hasidic Jew intervieweing for a job with the public library. In the job add it specified that you would be working to at least 5:00 on Friday and alternate Saturdays. When she wasn't hired she threated to make it a discrimination lawsuit. The library didn't budge.

BlueEyeLens
11-03-2013, 02:04 PM
Oh I forgot that I wanted to mention- that at one point, "Goth", in the lesser form of fashion stopped being cool when teenagers started imitating Brandon Lee from "The Crow", that shit got stupid real fucking quick. >.>

Halo Infinity
11-03-2013, 08:04 PM
Yep, I've known people who interviewed, or showed up for work in, their I'm an individual, take it or leave it clothes. *Sigh* If you want the job you have to accept the limits it involves. It's not just the young. I remember a woman who was a Hasidic Jew intervieweing for a job with the public library. In the job add it specified that you would be working to at least 5:00 on Friday and alternate Saturdays. When she wasn't hired she threated to make it a discrimination lawsuit. The library didn't budge.
I'm just appalled, because at that point, they might as well make like Marilyn Manson and write the word fuck on their faces before they attend the job interview, or go to work like that in preparation for actually getting fired. =P

yuzukelly
11-12-2013, 04:33 PM
Most people dress the part in order to acquire something or someone. Whether it be a job, a potential partner, whatever circle they want to be part of. They're called costumes.

Hrm I don't agree with this part. My boss and a coworker asked me the other day if I was "goth". So I must dress the part (They were like, "long black hair, black clothes... are you goth?" (and I am still employed :P) Well, I guess in my case, I just really love dressing in all black and my hair this way, but it's not to get something or someone or someone's attention (I admit, I did like attention a lot more out of my dress when I was younger, but I kinda of grown out of that). Now, I do prefer my clothes to be black and a more eccentric style of clothing, but it's just something that makes me happy : > and I think a lot of people feel the same way

Dronepool
11-13-2013, 12:02 AM
There is a difference between people who willingly like and go after a certain style of dress than people who do it to fit in to a scene and make sure it's known that they are whatever image they try to portray.

For example, a person throwing a tantrum because they can't dress goth or metal at work and making a thing out of it by seriously screaming out "I'm goth" all over the internet or/and in school/college is probably obviously newer to the music/scene and haven't warmed their feet in it just yet.

A person who knows it's a "look" but actually enjoys the subculture, always liked the look, enjoys dressing up and feels more comfortable in that "skin" than the skin of a casual looking civilian because they understand that a place like work usually requires people to wear something toned down for a more familiar normality to the average person. People have to be user friendly at work and all.

A person who can come home from whatever it is that they do to make money and decide to change into something else if they are going out isn't really any that much different from a person who thinks every look is a gimmick and decides to look casual because there's no point to them- except they decided to shop at a different store and build up a collection of eccentric or goth clothes because they find that fashion or a certain look interesting.

As for still cool- "being dark and edgy" IS cool now. Cooler than it ever was! The same people who called us faggots in high school are buying spiked high heels and baseball caps at designer stores while shaving the sides of their head like "Rihanna".

Halo Infinity
11-13-2013, 09:54 AM
These URLs article definitely deserve some views in this thread. I also posted them in the Maddox thread as well.

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=gothics

http://www.thebestpageintheuniverse.net/c.cgi?u=gothagain

Shock Hazard
01-06-2014, 03:12 PM
Haven't been is high school for awhile, so I'm not sure. But I guess wearing a lot of black still seems to be in.

MrBonestripper
01-12-2014, 05:29 PM
i have another friend, that dresses all decked out in goth/punk style all the time
so much that i wish i had that kind of strength and stamina
!!TOO MUCH WORK!!

anyway
they want to re enter the work force, but dont want to compromise their good looks or style

i told em "GOOD LUCK" LOL

i almost think its too silly to have that kind of attitude nowadays
especially if you are desperate

but whatever,
i wishem the best
i mean
theyve already worked at places like goth topic,
or i guess its emo topic now or whatever
so, their choices are kind of limited i think

OmegasTits
01-14-2014, 07:45 AM
I don't think goth was ever meant to be "cool". A subject deemed "cool" is something that group of people would agree upon the object being extraordinary. If you are cool enough, you can be accepted into a group. That goes against what goth stands for, in my opinion. Goth was about trying to not fit in, as it is counter-culture, an expression. It was never supposed to be cool. As one grows older, one may change their attire to a more appropriate presentation for their age; I cannot imagine a 60 year old in candy leggings and synthetic hair extensions, but that doesn't mean she can't still be goth and dress the part.

Two Faced Egg (23)
06-08-2015, 12:58 PM
When Your 65 & applying at the Social Security office ? ? ? ? ? Or , If You was never "goth" .. ... that would be a kool day to start.

Penance Sentence
06-08-2015, 02:05 PM
LMAO @ EGGGGGGGGGGGGG
My "Imagine Nation" is running wild right now

VelvetAIDS
06-08-2015, 04:22 PM
When Your 65 & applying at the Social Security office ? ? ? ? ? Or , If You was never "goth" .. ... that would be a kool day to start.

I'm fucking crying. I love you Egg.

blue angel
06-10-2015, 11:08 AM
I have never dressed in a goth fashion, but I am naturally goth on the inside and people often comment to me on it. I think that it will look better with age, if you are truly a goth in heart and soul, than clothing, but clothing also does not make us who we are, so wear what you like as long as your heart is beating.

Shangri-LIE
06-10-2015, 12:22 PM
And some people wonder why they can't get good jobs and have STD's. Jfc...lol

Smoking Mirrors
01-10-2016, 12:17 AM
I don't think it's about age as much as it is about the expression evolving as one ages. For instance - can you imagine a 23 year old showing up to a party or workplace dressed as they would have at age 12? Absolutely not; it'd be ridiculous. Perhaps they retain aspects of their style, such as bright colors, dark colors, florals, stripes, lots of rings or bracelets, etc., but there's a maturing and upgrading that occurs naturally. I think the same must apply to dressing gothically. I don't dress in a gothic style, at least not what is generally considered to be "goth", but I do have an appreciation for the aesthetic and individuality of it when done right. If a 30 year old is still wearing the dollar store messy black lipstick, poorly fitting black jeans, overstated 90's platform boots, black + unusually-dyed (purple, green, you know what I'm talking about) hair, etc, it seems a bit infantile and unprogressed to me. But if someone upgrades and creates a look more classy, age-appropriate, well-thought-out, etc., then I think it looks great and is good to be especially unique in that aspect. Just a matter of microevolution.

Nemoris Inferioris
01-11-2016, 09:27 AM
For most, 18. For me, 14. lol. I think it is lame now, like "Oooo look at me, i hate life, myself, my parents, and everything else. I am mad. I am dark and i have something more intelligent within me, i swear, so i wear black and makeup to let others know." Like they're trying to get attention. I was the same way.

Shangri-LIE
12-02-2016, 06:07 AM
For most, 18. For me, 14. lol. I think it is lame now, like "Oooo look at me, i hate life, myself, my parents, and everything else. I am mad. I am dark and i have something more intelligent within me, i swear, so i wear black and makeup to let others know." Like they're trying to get attention. I was the same way.

Yeah, but I miss the days of actual cool, sympathetic preppy hot chicks mercy fucking you. Well, not "you" - lol- But I think you get where I'm going with that. But at the same time now, having what's growing into somewhat of a warlocks beard along with long healthy, somewhat greying hair will still get you nailed by hot women.