PDA

View Full Version : Read Banned Books!

Alterkaker66
09-26-2013, 09:44 AM
The last week in September is the American Library Associations designated Banned Books Week. If you've read "The Long Hard Road Out Of Hell" you've read a banned book. Here are the current top 20 banned books as collected by the ALA:
1.Scary Stories (series) by Alvin Schwartz
2.Daddy’s Roommate by Michael Willhoite
3.I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings by Maya Angelou
4.The Chocolate War by Robert Cormier
5.The Adventures of Huckleberry Finn by Mark Twain
6.Of Mice and Men by John Steinbeck
7.Harry Potter (series) by J.K. Rowling
8.Forever by Judy Blume
9.Bridge to Terabithia by Katherine Paterson
10.Alice (series) by Phyllis Reynolds Naylor
11.Heather Has Two Mommies by Leslea Newman
12.My Brother Sam is Dead by James Lincoln Collier and Christopher Collier
13.The Catcher in the Rye by J.D. Salinger
14.The Giver by Lois Lowry
15.It’s Perfectly Normal by Robie Harris
16.Goosebumps (series) by R.L. Stine
17.A Day No Pigs Would Die by Robert Newton Peck
18.The Color Purple by Alice Walker
19.Sex by Madonna
20.Earth’s Children (series) by Jean M. Auel
Support intellectual freedom by reading what you want, when and where you want. If you can't find it in your local library or bookstore, ask for it!

MrBonestripper
09-26-2013, 05:06 PM
wait

the scary stories series is banned??
i remember reading those as a kid!

harry potter?

goosebumps?

the color purple?

wtf? how.,
why are they banned?
and
what does that mean?

some serious conspiracy crap going on here

Alterkaker66
09-26-2013, 06:20 PM
-It probably means that some asshole fundamentalist parent complained about the book when they saw what their kid was reading. Between the narrow minded and the politically correct anything fantasy/science fiction or classic (because of period language, like using the word colored for 'African American') is suspect. The list is compiled from requests at libraries and schools across the US. Most libraries don't bow to the pressure. Schools are a different story. You should see the list of books banned by governments. Iran alone takes up a lot of pages.

MisanthroPope
09-26-2013, 08:41 PM
Goosebumps, huh? I now feel like a terrible parent for loading a bunch of them on my Daughter's Nook. Better go delete them...

Angel of Sorrow
09-27-2013, 09:54 PM
Geez. Of Mice and Men? We read that in school. I love that one! Some of these books really surprise me... can't figure out why they would be banned! O.o wtf?

MisanthroPope: My daughter reads Goosebumps too, so you're not the only terrible parent. haha

MisanthroPope
09-28-2013, 11:31 AM
Geez. Of Mice and Men? We read that in school. I love that one! Some of these books really surprise me... can't figure out why they would be banned! O.o wtf?

MisanthroPope: My daughter reads Goosebumps too, so you're not the only terrible parent. haha

Here, here! Raise our glasses to raising deviants.

Off that list I've read Goosebumps, Scary Stories, The Catcher in the Rye, and I recall reading some of Bridge to Terabithia. I can't think of anything in these books that would be so bad as to ban the written word. Silly stuff...

Alterkaker66
09-28-2013, 12:47 PM
Here, here! Raise our glasses to raising deviants.

Off that list I've read Goosebumps, Scary Stories, The Catcher in the Rye, and I recall reading some of Bridge to Terabithia. I can't think of anything in these books that would be so bad as to ban the written word. Silly stuff...

Absolutely! (and this list is only the top 20 of this years top 100) Why are people so afraid of ideas? There are a lot of subjects I don't understand, or don't find appealing, but to ban them for everyone? Rediculous. And while I'm rambling, I love the fact that you are encouraging your kids to read. I used to have a real hate on for computer media till I realized how much more my sisters kids and grandkids read because of it. Still think the printed word is more egalitarian simply because of cost. However, I listen to a lot of books to spare my eyes, so how can I complain too much. Way to go 'rents!

kalim123
09-29-2013, 11:29 AM
Goosebumps? That really unscary old shit? Dafuq?