PDA

View Full Version : The X-Files

spaceSuicide
10-24-2013, 11:56 PM
Judging by my painstakingly obvious avatar and signature, I am a huge fan. Any Philes here? I'd love to talk about episodes, story arcs, the Mythology, this year's Comic Con, the movies, a new movie…pretty much anything.

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__cb20130914224316/epicrapbattlesofhistory/images/1/18/X_files_title_card.jpg

Celebrity Killing Spree
10-25-2013, 03:19 PM
This is my favourite series of all time. I've been a die hard fan ever since I saw the pilot premier. I've seen the entire series multiple times and even own the massive collectors set with every episode. Never got in to the comics or anything though.

It's weird because I'm actually the biggest skeptic when it comes to conspiracy theories, alien abductions and the paranormal. But I love this show.

Cringeon
10-25-2013, 03:25 PM
Love Xfiles. Had an older sister who was into it, so I watched it pretty early on but haven't really rewatched it except for the first 2-3 seasons. I'm definitely a fan of the Colony story arch, more than the monster of the week but there's some gems in those as well. I liked the first movie, hated the 2nd and doubt Fox is going to go with a 3rd which I'd be cautious of anyways.

Remember this shit ;)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmRmyZJ7ZK8

spaceSuicide
10-25-2013, 04:16 PM
This is my favourite series of all time. I've been a die hard fan ever since I saw the pilot premier. I've seen the entire series multiple times and even own the massive collectors set with every episode. Never got in to the comics or anything though.

It's weird because I'm actually the biggest skeptic when it comes to conspiracy theories, alien abductions and the paranormal. But I love this show.

I also own all Collector's Edition copies of every season from the initial first DVD run pressings from 2000-2004. Love them.

It's so well done, that's why you've gotten into it even though you're not into the themes entirely. They might not have had everything mapped and had a definite idea of where to go but the Mythology episodes always delivered consistently, probably up until the Super Soldiers arc. Wasn't a major fan of that portion of the story. William, Doggett and things abound in 8 and 9 were well done. It wasn't up to snuff with the original "glory run" of 1-7 (or mainly 1-5) but they weren't bad either. Still quality television.

As based on my sig and avatar set, CSM is my favorite character along with Skinner (outside of the two obvious main agents).

Love Xfiles. Had an older sister who was into it, so I watched it pretty early on but haven't really rewatched it except for the first 2-3 seasons. I'm definitely a fan of the Colony story arch, more than the monster of the week but there's some gems in those as well. I liked the first movie, hated the 2nd and doubt Fox is going to go with a 3rd which I'd be cautious of anyways.

Remember this shit ;)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vmRmyZJ7ZK8

They released a more survival horror game ala Resident Evil for the PS2 in 2004. I haven't played either but would love to.

I mainly blame IWTB's "failure" on people expecting and comparing it to the first movie from 1998. That was a Mythology based film and IWTB was more Monster of the Week flavoring. The first gave you more to sink into. Just my two cents.

I like IWTB honestly though.

I sincerely hope they release a new film. I'd love to see where the characters are now. It's already been over 5 years since IWTB…time flies. This year (obviously) was the 20th anniversary of the show's initial first season run. I love the amount of love it's getting.

Norsefire
10-25-2013, 04:21 PM
I remember watching some X Files when it first started, but I haven't seen it in years. I did think about buying that huge full collection box set since it's usually cheap now and then just watching them all the way through.

red.
10-25-2013, 05:04 PM
Im a big fan!
started watching the show because when i was 5 my dad would always try to creep me out with it, but that made me want to watch it even more.
i was a bit of a fucked up child

either way, favorite episodes?
one of my favorites is the "cops" one, they just did such a good job with it
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zKSerj3yQfo/UVHiUUWvfJI/AAAAAAAATtI/y_0HEwI5_CQ/s1600/x+files++x+cops.jpg

spaceSuicide
10-25-2013, 07:41 PM
Im a big fan!
started watching the show because when i was 5 my dad would always try to creep me out with it, but that made me want to watch it even more.
i was a bit of a fucked up child

either way, favorite episodes?
one of my favorites is the "cops" one, they just did such a good job with it
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zKSerj3yQfo/UVHiUUWvfJI/AAAAAAAATtI/y_0HEwI5_CQ/s1600/x+files++x+cops.jpg

I seriously just watched X-Cops yesterday! Odd timing.

I also watched Closure. Damn the tears.

red.
10-25-2013, 08:40 PM
i dont know if anyone heard it but David and Gillian had a q&a on reddit and they stated that Chris Carter is writing a script for a 3rd movie,everything depends on Fox, not Mulder, the studio.

spaceSuicide
10-25-2013, 09:08 PM
i dont know if anyone heard it but David and Gillian had a q&a on reddit and they stated that Chris Carter is writing a script for a 3rd movie,everything depends on Fox, not Mulder, the studio.

http://www.theguardian.com/culture/2013/oct/12/gillian-anderson-david-duchovny-x-files-film

Alterkaker66
10-28-2013, 04:10 PM
I did a marathon viewing of the X-files a couple of years ago, including the movies. It was interesting and entertaining. I just wish there had been better story arc planning. I will probably do it again in a year or two and see if anything stands out more. My current memories of the whole thing are the fumigation tent, the lizard man, is Fox dead?, and what about the clone babies.... It's not that I didn't enjoy it, there were just too many threads for me to hang onto. Much as I suspect Supernatural is going to end up doing. Which is a shame because that is one of my favorite shows of all time.

spaceSuicide
11-01-2013, 04:32 PM
I did a marathon viewing of the X-files a couple of years ago, including the movies. It was interesting and entertaining. I just wish there had been better story arc planning. I will probably do it again in a year or two and see if anything stands out more. My current memories of the whole thing are the fumigation tent, the lizard man, is Fox dead?, and what about the clone babies.... It's not that I didn't enjoy it, there were just too many threads for me to hang onto. Much as I suspect Supernatural is going to end up doing. Which is a shame because that is one of my favorite shows of all time.

If you're able to, re-watch all Mythology episodes in order without Monsters of the Week episodes thrown into the mix. Things come into view and perspective better when all streamlined at once chronologically. A lot was made up on the fly and had inconsistencies but ultimately everything fits together when you put the pieces in yourself, infer events and facts.

Meanwhile, a new comic book/hobby shop opened up in my town.

Hello!:

https://scontent-b-iad.xx.fbcdn.net/hphotos-ash3/522024_10201848748332257_119546848_n.jpg

Alterkaker66
11-01-2013, 06:40 PM
Very good suggestion. I know there has to be a deeper storyline there or it wouldn't have so many die-hard fans.

MrBonestripper
11-08-2013, 08:08 PM
that's funny
you say

"Judging by my painstakingly obvious avatar and signature, I am a huge fan."
i never made that connection
so i guess it isn't so "painstakingly obvious?"
l
o
l
or maybe i just need to be a better fan
it's a little interesting though
i always wondered why you chose it

anyhooznit
i watched a bit
when i was younger
liked it very much
even the movies
which a lot of people
didnt seem to like
dagnabit

whats funny
is ive gone back
more recently
to watch em
and they're so corny!
a little boring
and low budget
and
just
awful
maybe i havent
given the later
seasons a chance

?

i dont remember
too many drugs
probably

i like the idea of x-files though
and
i always thought the stories
were interesting
im into that kinda shit
holy hot dog

Two Faced Egg (23)
07-01-2015, 01:58 PM
Favorite series as well ! Means a whole lot .. Any body else here readers of Christopher Loring Knowles ? And His Excellent Blog - The Secret Sun ? He knows His X-Files , for sure .. writes Commentary of the SynchroMystic , Fortean kind.

TMC
07-01-2015, 03:25 PM
I started re-watching X-Files earlier this week and so far I love it. I remember watching it as a teenager but I appreciate it much more right now. Even if some episodes are very, very cheesy (Jersey Devil and such), it's still a lot of fun to watch.

FuckmanQ
07-01-2015, 03:36 PM
Strange been re-watching it as well. It's a show I can always come back to. Plus I wanna re-jig my memory on things so I'm ready for the new series next year.

MMCollector
07-01-2015, 11:19 PM
im on season 2 right now this is my first time watching the series and im really liking it so far.does anyone where should i fit the movies into the seasons time line?

FuckmanQ
07-02-2015, 12:21 PM
The first movie takes place in season 5 between the episode "The End" and the sixth episode "The Beginning" hope that helps. The one from 2008 is just a straight sequel after season 9.

MMCollector
07-07-2015, 01:04 PM
this gave me the chills cant wait for the new season https://youtu.be/JoIRNja8pMc

Lillith
07-08-2015, 05:29 PM
One of my favourite shows. Started watching it in 93 when I was 8. I want to be excited about the reboot , very sceptical still if it will actually be any good or not (which is why I have been avoiding all the hype).

FuckmanQ
07-08-2015, 10:36 PM
It's not really a reboot from what Carter says it's literally Season 10 but not with 24 episodes.

Two Faced Egg (23)
01-23-2016, 01:04 PM
I have been listening to XFiles:Songs in the key of X recently & Love it ! It has so many of My all time favorite artist. Even an appearance by William S. Burroughs ! Highly recommended. Mine was a most wonderful Christmas gift from YoureAlreadyHere. Tomorrow night the newest episode starts and I will be there in it. Looking forward to studying it several times. Anderson and Duchovny were on Jimmy Kimmel last night , haven't watched it yet though. Fans Rejoice! Cheers (23)

Hazekiah
01-24-2016, 07:02 PM
OMFG
X-FILES
RE-OPENED
IN ONE HOUR
MY BODY IS READY
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v147/Hazekiah/hqdefault_zpstnvgo2ga.jpg

Two Faced Egg (23)
01-26-2016, 10:34 AM
Chris Carter has hit a nerve : ) I have Loved what I have seen so far with these 2 episodes. Doesn't feel like any other show really. Well .. ... Mulder does act a bit like Hank Lol'Ss I forgive Him. "The Conspiracy" is certainly scary.

Shangri-LIE
01-26-2016, 04:43 PM
All of what I want to believe = Confirmed. LOL

FuckmanQ
01-27-2016, 02:33 AM
Digging what I've seen of episodes 1-2, it kind of had a rocky start but once they got the groove it was like watching the classic show again.

Shangri-LIE
01-27-2016, 04:14 AM
Digging what I've seen of episodes 1-2, it kind of had a rocky start but once they got the groove it was like watching the classic show again.

Well, here's my take on it. There were people who LOVED it and some people who were underwhelmed and here's why. And here's also why I think it's going to be brilliant. This Mini Series is 6 Episodes. There is going to be another mini series in October and so forth. But this is re-establishing a new narrative. Re-establishing the Characters. They were wrong. Now, the X-Files are different. It's very "reality" based now given the Conspiracy Sphere which is a laughing stock and they explained that. People like Alex Jones for example being shills and part of the Global Elite/Government set up to discredit people who have had encounters or experiences with what it turns out to be US Military Forces who have retro-engineered recovered Alien Technology and it's not actually Aliens, the Bankers who pay for it, as well as Human Trafficking/Kidnapping, and Hospitals that experiment on people as well as make them sicker. They're setting a new baseline for the premise of the show. Back whenever it was on the air in the 90's we didn't have an internet full of whack jobs and there weren't so many people talking about these concepts that they are now. It wasn't really "relatable". Now, it's talking about actual, real, possible Government conspiracies, real programs that used to exist, (and still might), the names of real Politicians, real Government/Military Officials and events that have actually happened/have been reported to have happened anyway, people like ALEX JONES being shills and "in on it" to discredit people who are genuinely experiencing these things and who believe in it/to make a laughing stock of them/out of everything. So, they're re-establishing it from a very "Non-Fully Fiction" angle. And I think that not ONLY is it going to get even more entertaining....but it will make a lot of People who are actually obsessed with this stuff actually even MORE paranoid. LOL

FuckmanQ
01-27-2016, 12:47 PM
That is definitely what I am digging what was rocky was the explanation for Mulder Scully's return and their chemistry wasn't working for me at first. Scully's dialogue in the premiere was kind of stilted. When it got into the "Groove" is when all the new premise stuff kicked in and I enjoy the hell out of it. Plus their chemistry got really good again, I mean it makes sense that the first episode would be kind of stilted in an acting sense it had been a while since they donned those roles. I can't fucking wait for them to keep making more of these. I like the 6 episode structure because that'll make plot more in the foreground and the monster of the week can still exist as well. It honestly kind of reminds me of Sherlock in a sense you get some really meaty episodes but the season won't be 24 episodes. I think the miniseries structure fits X-files really well.

Ramm91
01-29-2016, 08:08 AM
So happy it's back! I was surprised by the negative critic reviews but meh fuck em..

The third episode looks like it's a comical one. Looking forward to it!

Shangri-LIE
01-30-2016, 05:39 AM
So happy it's back! I was surprised by the negative critic reviews but meh fuck em..

The third episode looks like it's a comical one. Looking forward to it!

People are more cynical/critical whenever it comes to just about anything and everything these days. Apparently everything sucks, which makes me wonder what they actually enjoy, if anything at all. LOL - I also don't know why most of these people expect Fiction/Sci Fi to resemble reality. It's entertainment. But they expect everything to be based in reality..

Penance Sentence
01-30-2016, 04:25 PM
The shows seems like it will be great.
Lie, I'm going to watch it with you.

Shangri-LIE
01-30-2016, 06:14 PM
Only 4 more episodes. So better take a trolly to and hit the Appalachian Trail here soon.

Penance Sentence
01-30-2016, 06:57 PM
But, your location description? Is it a joke? Makes it seem like you're in Pittsburgh?

Edit: Passive-Aggression?

Shangri-LIE
02-01-2016, 06:35 PM
But, your location description? Is it a joke? Makes it seem like you're in Pittsburgh?

Edit: Passive-Aggression?

Nope. But I'll be moving back up there soon.