PDA

View Full Version : FREAKS

OmegasTits
12-01-2013, 06:27 PM
Around the Thanksgiving holiday, I always get about 20 "Happy Thanksgiving! GOBBLE GOBBLE!!! =-)" texts from people I know. Every year, I always get at least one person who misspells "Gobble" as "Gooble". I naturally started wondering if there was a reason that year after year I see "GOOBLE GOOBLE!!! LOL THANKSGIVING1!" in my message box, so I GOOGLED it. I came up with this slightly disturbing youtube clip.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9C4uTEEOJlM

This scene is from a 1932 film called Freaks. The thing about the actors is that none of them were wearing theatrical makeup to give them their appearance, nor were any "special" effects used. The actors in this scene were circus sideshow freaks in real life. Many of them were mentally retarded, being taken in from insane asylums to live their lives as "freaks" in circuses, shocking audiences with their appearances. On the good side, it gave them a sense a purpose in life and they were actually able to make money and have somewhat of a decent life. On the other hand, they were being exploited by having people pay to stare and laugh at them, which is depressing. However, many of them were unaware of that fact and just enjoyed the attention and being around people. Either way, it is agreeable that it was better than living in the institutions they would be in otherwise. If any of you were ever a group home worker, then you know what I mean.

I find this somehow relevant to things that Manson has mentioned also, about how he finds beauty in deformity (his fondness of prosthetic limbs for example). I wonder if he's ever watched this movie?

Alterkaker66
12-01-2013, 07:48 PM
Every year, I always get at least one person who misspells "Gobble" as "Gooble". I naturally started wondering if there was a reason that year after year I see "GOOBLE GOOBLE!!! LOL THANKSGIVING1!" in my message box, so I GOOGLED it. I came up with this slightly disturbing youtube clip. This scene is from a 1932 film called Freaks.
I find this somehow relevant to things that Manson has mentioned also, about how he finds beauty in deformity (his fondness of prosthetic limbs for example). I wonder if he's ever watched this movie?
I don't remember Manson ever saying something specific about this movie, but it is an integral part of modern culture. It's one of those movies that is often referred to but many people don't take time to watch. The Ramones opening chant of "Gabba gabba we accept you, we accept you one of us." is an aproximation of the welcome party in the movie. The fact that there is a human drama and an amazingly neutral bias in the movie makes it exceptional. And yes, it may have been exploitation, but these sideshow freaks and carnies had each other as family. Institutions aren't too big on that. If I were playing reviewer I'd give it 4 out of 5 stars.

OmegasTits
12-01-2013, 08:09 PM
I watched the whole movie in the same night. It was actually sickening to me, because I have the feeling that very few people genuinely felt bad about the reality of the movie, that it wasn't entirely fiction. I mean, Hans got completely fucked with throughout the movie because he's head-over-heels for Cleo, while she's continually insulting him and eventually tries to murder him. I think what I like about it is that it's so morbid in more than one way, but also shows a lighter side that they do have each other as family like you mentioned. I've never seen a reference to this movie until now, or maybe I have and forgot. It's so fascinating to me that the movie is over 80 years old and all the actors are deceased but will forever live on in film...it's just so fascinating.

TrainWreck96
12-02-2013, 11:19 AM
I wonder if he's ever watched this movie?

He references this film in the song Doll-Dagga Buzz-Buzz Ziggety-Zag.

TrainWreck96
12-03-2013, 05:55 PM
I just remembered this live performance from Rock AM Ring 2003. Skip to 41:50

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h5JCj1itqfg

MrBonestripper
12-04-2013, 07:58 PM
i saw this movie once or twice a long time ago

it was a little interesting

i loved the actors
and i think the story
dont remember a whole lot tho

and honestly i think