PDA

View Full Version : "The boy's 15 but he's 16 gauge" - What Does It Mean?

Iulian
01-01-2014, 04:08 AM
I searched for definitions, I just donīt seem to get it. Someone please explain?

01-01-2014, 06:11 AM
16 Gauge shotgun ammo. 15 years old. High school shooting reference.

Cringeon
01-01-2014, 08:13 AM
Prince Albert lol

Iulian
01-01-2014, 08:15 AM
I get that, but it doesnīt make sense, to me at least. Heīs a boy, heīs a gun too? Some sort of metaphor, it seems.

Cringeon
01-01-2014, 08:26 AM
Its saying he's just a boy but he's explosive or capable of death/violence. Not that hard to figure out. Its just a methaphor for adolescent angst/anger/violence

BlueEyeLens
01-01-2014, 09:29 AM
Teenage Angst. Religion angers the mind, wanting to break out of the Jesus cage and kill a motherfucker with a shotgun.

Iulian
01-01-2014, 02:13 PM
Its saying he's just a boy but he's explosive or capable of death/violence. Not that hard to figure out. Its just a methaphor for adolescent angst/anger/violence

It is when you learn all by yourself English as a kid, with just a dictionary. I normally get a metaphor, even if itīs the first time I see it, but this time I guess I expected a bigger explanation. Itīs a weak word play, coming from someone well known for it.

But you explained it very well, thank you.

The Empirical Guy
01-01-2014, 11:57 PM
Pro tip: In The Love Song when he has a crush on a pretty pistol, it doesn't necessarily have to literally mean a firearm. Also, in Pistol Whipped, he's not helping an inanimate object out with an existential crisis when he informs them they're a pistol.

01-02-2014, 02:56 AM
The rudeness of PM mods really lets this place down.

The Empirical Guy
01-02-2014, 03:19 AM
Please, I was being patronising and possibly facetious, but never rude. Have a nice day :]

BlueEyeLens
01-02-2014, 04:02 AM
"I've got a crush on a pretty pistol, should I tell her that I feel this way" Obviously he's referring to a smoking hot female- OR- a smoking hot gun.

Your argument is invalid.

Iulian
01-02-2014, 06:12 AM
Pro tip: In The Love Song when he has a crush on a pretty pistol, it doesn't necessarily have to literally mean a firearm. Also, in Pistol Whipped, he's not helping an inanimate object out with an existential crisis when he informs them they're a pistol.

I could actually see it as literally a gun, in The Love Song. Pretty Pistol though, I agree with you.

Mexicanfiend
01-02-2014, 07:56 AM
Being a spanish-born speaker and english not being my native languaje, I always wondered the same question. And why did they use to censor that specific verse? Never got it.

Cringeon
01-02-2014, 09:36 AM
Columbine was in Apr '99, and Astonishing came out later that year - so I'm sure a lot of the corporate label bullshit machine was concerned with anything that might have to do with guns, violence and all things Marilyn Manson. Kind of a hint of the subject matter coming from Holywood after Mechanical Animals. I personally never liked the Celebrity Death Match video, I think if it were a single released by MM alone it would have taken even darker turns.

MrBonestripper
01-03-2014, 12:38 AM
one cool thing about marilyn's music
i believe
is that it is open to interpretation

"pistol"

or

"gun"

always seemed like a very phallic symbol to me
and
I find it very interesting that marilyn
would use it to describe a female...
not to say he hasn't, but yeah.

"She's got her eyes open wide
she's got the dirt and spit of the world
her mouth on the metal
the lips of a scared little girl"

now "flower" is definitely a female symbol,
at least that is the first thing that comes
to my mind.
i suppose it could be looked at as a male
symbol
nowadays

wait
didnt marilyn say at one point
about the love song
that the "gun" stood for the "father"...
and the hand the "mother"
or something like that?

or maybe the gun stood for "mother??"

(president white, mrs. white, coma white? anyone?)

and and didn't he say something about the bullet too?
the bullet stood for the child?
so i guess in that sense .... i suppose a gun could be
female ..... shooting out a baby from her womb ......
though i think shooting sperm sounds better

which brings up cryptorchid
so maybe the gun IS supposed to be "the mother"
"each time i make my mother cry an angel dies and falls from heaven"
^
that makes me think of shooting a gun...
and i think it also ties into songs like
reflecting god
count to six and die
death song
coma white
love song

"pistol whipped" makes me think he is fooling around with another dude
or maybe swinging or something
LOL
but that's just because "pistol" makes me think "cock" or "dick"

(COCK COCK COCK COCK IT)

im horrible, but what is the name of his painting
i think its self portrait where his dick is a pistol?

The Empirical Guy
01-03-2014, 01:13 AM
^ This is entirely the point. Not to find an answer, but to make people think of the question.

MrBonestripper
01-03-2014, 01:52 AM
^ This is entirely the point. Not to find an answer, but to make people think of the question.

totally. i guess.

i dont think there is anything wrong with looking for an answer though.
coming up with your own interpretation.
finding your own.
there are TONS of questions already.

there is obviously a story there.
with actual characters (president white, mrs white,)
locations (holywood, the valley of death)
bibles with guns in them
..etc. etc

which is basically an answer
but we dont have the entire holywood novel yet.
so. its up to the listener i think. holywood novel
i think would be a definite answer to all the
questions we have already come up with.

i think there is an answer there.
and again, i think it's up to the listener.
some things are pretty obvious though,
especially when the man himself
has explained it.

and

did ya read my whole comment before you comments on it?? lul
i went in to some deep shit!

BlueEyeLens
01-03-2014, 04:12 AM
totally. i guess.

i dont think there is anything wrong with looking for an answer though.
coming up with your own interpretation.
finding your own.
there are TONS of questions already.

there is obviously a story there.
with actual characters (president white, mrs white,)
locations (holywood, the valley of death)
bibles with guns in them
..etc. etc

which is basically an answer
but we dont have the entire holywood novel yet.
so. its up to the listener i think. holywood novel
i think would be a definite answer to all the
questions we have already come up with.

i think there is an answer there.
and again, i think it's up to the listener.
some things are pretty obvious though,
especially when the man himself
has explained it.

and

did ya read my whole comment before you comments on it?? lul
i went in to some deep shit!

LOL. Your shit is deep as fuck!
Really I mean, I like where you're going with all that jizzy jazz shit you're spewin' here.
So many metaphors. gun=dick, pistol=tits-lips-pussy, bullet= sperm,handsome male.
The word play can certainly fuck with your mind and make you play with it.

"She tells me I'm a pretty bullet, an imitation christ"

One of my favorite lines.

I feel like Holywood is an extended version of Antichrist Superstar- where the punch just goes even further in the album. Even live too.

Holywood and Antichrist Superstar is him seeing the world/society in the eyes of a pissed off Jesus Christ. Hell,I would too.

JT_
01-03-2014, 09:43 AM
I personally never liked the Celebrity Death Match video

There should have been a proper video for it, it's one of my favorite tracks and I've always been bummed they never made one.
Probably would have just been a live tour video anyway since it was promoting LTOE.

Mexicanfiend
01-03-2014, 10:43 AM
There should have been a proper video for it, it's one of my favorite tracks and I've always been bummed they never made one.
Probably would have just been a live tour video anyway since it was promoting LTOE.

I'd second that, if it wasn't for the fact the this song loses a lot of its strenght live (as you all can witness on the GGG dvd); there's so much production on the song that a live version just can't do it justice.

Cringeon
01-03-2014, 10:59 AM
It bugged me when the double bass part was dropped live. Its what gave it that old Slayer vibe \m/

Norsefire
01-04-2014, 07:45 PM

I wasn't around at the time, but I thought it was more a song for the Celebrity Deathmatch soundtrack? They never released a proper single which sucks, and the only promotional single was from Celebrity Deathmatch.

S.D.
01-06-2014, 06:18 AM
You know, there's a level on which this could all be working that you can reach, should you wish.

IHeīs a boy, heīs a gun too? Some sort of metaphor, it seems.
One of the most prolific lyrics on Holy Wood has yet to be brought up in this discussion: "This is evolution, the monkey, the man, then the gun"

Now, on the outset it seems as though Manson is charting the behaviour of violence in history; we descend from apes, we kill each other, thus negating evolution. However, when looked at from the wider perspective of Man as a weapon, the gun IS the evolutionary stage, we have become weapons.
However, from Manson's perspective as Adam Kadmon, he is not a weapon, but the bullet in the chamber, the damage he causes is only relative to the trigger pulled beforehand. The commentary running throughout Holy Wood is that god and state control are the true evils, not Manson, who is a messenger, which is the role traditionally taken by Mercury in ancient mythology. Just as Adam Kadmon is fifteen years old, or personified as '15' - The Devil - he is "16 gauge" as a scapegoat used by others. Consider also the comparison made in the lyric "There was Lennon in the happy gun", surely alluding to the most 'dangerous' messenger of the 1960s whilst part of The Beatles*, and later during the 1970s as he espoused peace among men and strolled around like a latter-day Jesus. Lennon himself of course, gunned down, just as Adam Kadmon appears to be via the lyric "and his glass jaw opens, like a puppet head". Adam Kadmon's glass jaw:-

http://www.providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./adam_jaw.png

"Hang him from the cross like a Number One Son" . "If Christ was in Texas, the hammer, the sickle, the only son"

I don't want to get too far off course from Astonishing Panorama Of The Endtimes, but with the above in mind it's worth noting that Manson stated the "Holy Wood" was meant to reference not only the Tree Of Life, but also the cross on which Christ was nailed, and the handrest on the rifle that killed John F. Kennedy, another associated inspiration for the Adam Kadmon character as a modern Christ. With that in mind, Adam as the 'bullet', living in 'Holy Wood', would also make 'Holy Wood' a manifestation of the gun:-

http://www.providermodule.com/Administrators/S.D./holy_cross.bmp

Further into Manson's career, he's revisited this idea of himself as the bullet rather than a weapon. Consider during Leave A Scar: "I'm more like a silver bullet, than I'm like a gun", and again, as mentioned during Pistol Whipped, although not characterised as a bullet, he is still at odds with a female counterpart depicted as a gun, just as in The Love Song. There may even be some correlation between "The hole is where the heart is", and "into the napalm heart I explode" between EAT ME, DRINK ME and The High End Of Low.

With this in mind, though moving back to the lyric at hand, I think Adam as the bullet begins during ...Panorama with this phrase, which carries through Holy Wood, and then culminates during King Kill 33š, as we hear "I have to show you that you played a role, and I will destroy you with one simple hole".

*And yes, of course Happiness Is A Warm Gun, before anyone jumps on that one.

Iulian
01-06-2014, 07:22 AM
Great post, it actually makes some sense now. Thanks, SD!

Norsefire
01-06-2014, 08:17 AM
Cool post S.D.! I enjoyed reading that.

MrBonestripper
01-08-2014, 08:36 PM
hey SD
didnt marilyn say at one point,
about the love song,
or something like that?

Mexicanfiend
01-08-2014, 08:46 PM
hey SD
didnt marilyn say at one point,
about the love song,
or something like that?

Assuming you have the original Holy Wood cd, look at the Love song lyrics.

MrBonestripper
01-08-2014, 08:52 PM
Assuming you have the original Holy Wood cd, look at the Love song lyrics.

i dont :(

they were either stolen or lost
so
i dont have any of them anymore

im a bad bad bad fan

i really miss my antichrist and MA one with the sleeves
the most
i dont think they make em anymore

/sigh

so i give up
what does it say in there