PDA

View Full Version : The Coma in Coma White/Black

BreakingYourMomsOldMound
01-27-2014, 03:06 PM
Astronomers believed comets to be white until they discovered that what they were looking at were "nebulous envelopes" surrounding the comets. These envelopes are now referred to as comas. As it turns out, comets are black, not white. This suggests that the Coma White theme in MA ties in with its space theme. Also, since Coma Black is a prequel to Coma White, the girl/standard of perfection that is Coma White became artificial in the time between the two songs.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Coma_%28cometary%29

S.D.
01-27-2014, 03:57 PM
There's so many lyrics on Mechanical Animals that correspond with each other to support the COMA theory, especially in relating space with a form of death, so this is a nice topic to explore that.
Even the basic concept of Heaven as being above us, where the stars are, correlates with Manson's "dead star" motif in relation to Celebritarianism. I've always thought the "face of a dead star" was meant to reference Marilyn Monroe, and that it is an elderly Monroe (or a vision of her at least) we see in the Coma White video, crying. Consider that the world we see in Coma White is an afterlife, explaining the Da de Muertos procession (The Death Parade), and the recreation of Kennedy's assassination. It's like a projection of Celebritarian needs, a 'dramatic new scene' echoing a tragedy from the past. That might well sound convoluted as fuck, but it makes sense when I think about it, so I'll stick with it.

He also describes space and the expanse of stars as a glittering "morgue" in Great Big White World, later describing himself as a "spaceman", and then "I don't wanna just float in fear, a dead astronaut in space" during Disassociative. All these signifiers create a picture of weightlessness, falling or floating in suspension just as Manson does at the close of I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me) [video].

Interesting also that he doesn't use COMA's name during the song Mechanical Animals, but uses the phrase "maniqueen of depression", which would be directly attributed to COMA during Diamonds & Pollen. Considering The Triptych is reversed, this may support your notion of COMA becoming artificial in the time that passes between the records, from Holy Wood to ...Animals. There's also the "her" discussed in Coma Black and Valentine's Day. Her 'heart' is not handled with care, and she's described as 'pregnant'. This is interesting in relation to COMA, because in Diamonds & Pollen Manson describes America as "electric and pregnant", surely another phrasing of Mechanical Animals? Then lead that further into the hidden '15' track on Mechanical Animals:-

"From the top of Hollywood, it looked like space
Millions of capsules, and Mechanical Animals
A city full of dead stars, and a girl called Coma White"

There's a lot of potential headfuck going on here, but it interests me that these motifs are all so closely linked between the two albums and the songs that bridge the gap. There's organic motherhood described during Holy Wood ("Gonna be a star some day, mother says that we should look away"), through to electronic pregnancy in Diamonds & Pollen, more discussion of parenthood in Astonishing Panorama Of The Endtimes, then this peculiar link between 'Holy Wood', "Hollywood", this area of "dead stars", the girl COMA, and the state of being an emotionless 'Mechanical Animal' leading into the complexity of the record itself.

Nemoris Inferioris
02-13-2014, 04:30 PM
The "pregnant" girl was definitely coma. She was pregnant with "The Worm", which revolves to ACSS. Coma black is supposed to be eve being taken away from Adam, which goes great with the songs Coma White, and tourniquet. Comawhite was more of a figment to Adam/Omēga. "I no longer knew if comawhite was real or just a side effect". If you read the chapter 10 of the Holy Wood book that Manson released on his website (only chapter 10), then it explains well about coma and how she is in love with the "Magician", or Adam. And as Adam starts a revolution, he transforms to this hollow alien ROCKSTAR, Omēga. And Comawhite kills herself with drugs, leaving Omēga alone in this empty world. Which goes perfectly with Tourniquet. "She made of hair and bone and little teeth. Things I cannot speak". Telling that the perfect girl the worm has made, is actually not so perfect Afterall. Count to six and die explains a lot about coma too. "She's got her mouth open wide. She's got the dirt and the spit of the world. She's got her mouth on the metal. The lips of a scared little girl........ Like elevator music of songs that SHE shouldn't hear." The songs "she shouldn't hear" is Adams music. She loves him, and his music. But Holy Wood keeps her from him. It goes great with that chapter. There is plenty more on www.nachtkabarett.com/

Ka-boom
02-13-2014, 07:44 PM
The "pregnant" girl was definitely coma. She was pregnant with "The Worm", which revolves to ACSS. Coma black is supposed to be eve being taken away from Adam, which goes great with the songs Coma White, and tourniquet. Comawhite was more of a figment to Adam/Omēga. "I no longer knew if comawhite was real or just a side effect". If you read the chapter 10 of the Holy Wood book that Manson released on his website (only chapter 10), then it explains well about coma and how she is in love with the "Magician", or Adam. And as Adam starts a revolution, he transforms to this hollow alien ROCKSTAR, Omēga. And Comawhite kills herself with drugs, leaving Omēga alone in this empty world. Which goes perfectly with Tourniquet. "She made of hair and bone and little teeth. Things I cannot speak". Telling that the perfect girl the worm has made, is actually not so perfect Afterall. Count to six and die explains a lot about coma too. "She's got her mouth open wide. She's got the dirt and the spit of the world. She's got her mouth on the metal. The lips of a scared little girl........ Like elevator music of songs that SHE shouldn't hear." The songs "she shouldn't hear" is Adams music. She loves him, and his music. But Holy Wood keeps her from him. It goes great with that chapter. There is plenty more on www.nachtkabarett.com/

Hang up, manson released holywood the book!!!?
Fuck I always wanted to read that, is it available in physical format anywhere?

TH15x15xMYxOMeGA
02-20-2014, 10:22 PM
Manson has only released chapter 10. That was years ago. It's on Nachtkabarett so have fun reading!

blue angel
09-26-2014, 07:29 AM
She loves him, and his music. But Holy Wood keeps her from him. It goes great with that chapter. There is plenty more on www.nachtkabarett.com/
Everything that you wrote was great but this one part just struck a new cord with me that I did not think about since that album. They can't be together, they live in two different worlds. He is owned by Holywood and she is not a part of this world and would never be. The story, at least as his book.

johncraze
10-11-2014, 08:50 PM
Regarding Coma White, I've been reading J.G. Ballard's "Atrocity Exhibition", a novel in itself that can be considered proto-celebretarian as its main focus is the notion of celebrity ( an obsession with Elizabeth Taylor, Marilyn Monroe, John F. Kennedy, Jackie O, Abraham Zapruder, science-fiction, what is inside is what is outside and viceversa, T.V. culture, the space race, death-sex, and practically all motifs in celebretarianism), and that actually has a character called Coma, an hallucination of a blonde girl with a white dress and radiation burns in her face in Traver's ( the protagonist) head.

Being that this book is from 1970, I believe it is fathomable that it actually influenced Manson when he created the Coma White Character:

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-hJK6KemN15Y/UWsIQOOGj9I/AAAAAAAAI2k/Uo7bqgrN_zQ/s1600/MM_Ballard+trio.jpg

Something else that comes to mind, is that in "The Atrocity Exhibition", highways, underpasses, and overpasses are mentioned with a relative insistence as a representation of the neural pathways in the human brain brought to the exterior world ( the whole what is inside is outside and viceversa motif), all the while the protagonist and his allucinations (including Coma) wonder about in somekind of dystopian wasteland of crashed cars, which brings to mind:

"She's standing on an overpass in her miracle mile"

For more info: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_Atrocity_Exhibition

Also the book is widely available for downloading in PDF format, easy to find in google.

CreeboLive
10-12-2014, 01:26 AM
errrrm thanks for that i suppose

YoureAlreadyHere
10-13-2014, 10:28 AM
BIIIIIIG thank you, Johncraze

kk_15
04-21-2015, 05:21 AM
I like to think that the nature of recent live Coma White performances, with the flowers, snow and blood (akin to Man That You Fear), symbolises MM killing or allowing Coma White as a character to die?

YoureAlreadyHere
04-23-2015, 09:54 AM
yupp, theory has been suggested... I just can't... I REFUSE.