PDA

View Full Version : The Knick

Hazekiah
08-16-2014, 08:29 PM
Soderbergh's fantastic new medical drama on Cinemax.

I reserved judgement until seeing the second episode tonight, and this show is officially KICKING ASS and HIGHLY recommended.

It's basically returning "House, M.D." to his cocaine-shooting, turn-of-the-century Sherlock Holmes roots...but keeping all the medical drama trappings intact and making the protagonist even MORE of a bastard.

Even the (excellent) musical cues are pretty reminiscent of much of the score work for "House, M.D." And I definitely mean that as a complement. It goes in enough different directions that the obvious comparisons are more of a friendly foothold than a crutch or a detriment.

But HEY, don't take MY word for it!

Here's the whole first episode!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ItBAXOEE8Vk

Hazekiah
01-19-2017, 12:42 AM
GODFUCKINGDAMNIT.

I've been living a lie waiting to catch the next season of this show when I finally got back to a cable TV somewhere FOR AGES NOW and I just found out tonight that it's fucking cancelled.

I spread the gospel ASAP and everything, ffs!

Ugh. I tried, damnit.

WTF IS
WRONG WITH
YOU PEOPLE???

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=U2oz5AYyi_0&t=3s

</3 </3 </3 </3

FeedYourHead
01-20-2017, 04:47 AM
OMGOMGOMGOMORGMROGMORMGORDPGJ RIOGBHUGTUIERJWLJRENTHGRO I KNEW IT WAS GONNA BE CANCELLED BUT I WAS HOPING IT WAS A RUMOR OR THAT MY TELEPATHIC PLEADING WOULD CHANGE THE OUTCOME BUT NOW I AM DISTRAUGHT AND IMMENSELY AGITATED.
This was my favorite tv show I think possibly... ever? It was honestly like if I were to make a television show with no restrictions and about whatever I wanted - that's exactly what it would have been. That's also how MMT had initially described it to me before I'd ever seen it and I was like pffft it can't be that good/that personalized BUT IT WAS. Which is actually rather fitting then, considering that the show is am embodiment of myself and my interests... and was quickly canceled ahaha.

Also. Fucking typhoid Mary. Fucking idiot bitch. Every time I pass Roosevelt island I scoff about her.

Haz, I know the show is called The Knick because obviously the hospital is Knickerbocker hospital but did you notice that in the last scene of the second/last season (trying not to give away too many spoilers in case anyone wants to go retroactively watch the first two serious which I cannot recommend enough) when Dr. Thackery is performing self-surgery and things go amiss he sort of mumbles "It seems that I've knicked the abdominal aorta." "Knicked." "Aorta." I can't even with the symbolism, both within the context of the story and within the larger context of the show being canceled. Knicked indeed.

Here's the screenshot I want mass emailed to everyone I know when I die and printed in all the papers as my eulogy. He is performing abdominal surgery on himself while others observe.

http://i.imgur.com/1GW1r39.jpg

I've only been saying this like every single day of my life since 7th grade. -_-
We are all zerglings. We are not cosmic beings with unique energy or souls or purposes. We are raw biological matter and "life" is just the result of the appropriate assortment of chemical reactions happening in conjunction with responses to environmental cues. ALSO. It has been a lifelong goal of mine to perform surgery on myself. So i mean. This show is pretty stellar. Also that reminds me my turn of the century medical paraphernalia collection has been steadily growing and I'd like to post some photos at some point except I want to wait until it's mostly complete so basically I will never post photos.

Enname
01-20-2017, 04:31 PM
I've been living a lie waiting to catch the next season of this show when I finally got back to a cable TV somewhere FOR AGES NOW and I just found out tonight that it's fucking cancelled.

Yeh :/ But they put no effort into marketing it beyond the first season. Bastards. Only so much individuals can do.

This was my favorite tv show I think possibly... ever? It was honestly like if I were to make a television show with no restrictions and about whatever I wanted - that's exactly what it would have been. That's also how MMT had initially described it to me before I'd ever seen it and I was like pffft it can't be that good/that personalized BUT IT WAS. Which is actually rather fitting then, considering that the show is am embodiment of myself and my interests... and was quickly canceled ahaha.

The loss of The Nick was deeply upsetting, given how few TV shows I enjoy watching. While not my perfect show, it was SO GOOD. Simiarly it was sold to me because of 'OMG YOU WILL LOVE THE SURGERY IT STARTS WITH A WOMAN BLEEDING OUT'; the fact that it is the fictionalised life of Dr Thackery, involves medical history, and Bono's daughter. What a heady combination. Two seasons is better than none at all, right?

I've only been saying this like every single day of my life since 7th grade. -_-

This is all we are (and what a relief), but at the same time - woah, cool. Especially when you start thinking about how all the structures work together and the sheer complexity of matter.

Also that reminds me my turn of the century medical paraphernalia collection has been steadily growing and I'd like to post some photos at some point except I want to wait until it's mostly complete so basically I will never post photos.

Colour me green with envy of your medical paraphanalia collection. And should you ever post photos you will have at least one avid audience member. Maybe some teasers?

I remember wandering around the permanent display of the Wellcome Trust in the UK and being entranced by their 3,000 amputation saws for all joint needs, mixed in with two Chinese torture chairs and a great number of forceps. Same with the Mütter and anywhere else they let me in.