PDA

View Full Version : 'The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles' & Howard Gossage - The Socrates of San Francisco

puck
11-11-2014, 06:40 AM
I have absolutely zero time to try to fit these two quizzical puzzle pieces together before I have to run off to work, but I thought I might leave this thought here in hopes someone can make sense of it or downright refute it before I can.

I picked up a book not two weeks ago titled The Book of Gossage, which is half-biography, half-homage to Howard Gossage a famous figurehead in the advertising world during the Mad Men era. He was called "the Socrates of San Francisco," was wildly inventive, an innovator in the field, and a public figure to boot.

The new Manson track "The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles" made me think of this immediately.

I have to run, but I'll revisit this thread with some more thoughts on how these two might be connected.

Shangri-LIE
11-11-2014, 07:39 AM
Don't jump the gun, but we look forward to your thoughts. Don't lead us to temptations. It could be fatal.

kk_15
11-11-2014, 12:49 PM
Mephistopheles is a demon commonly featured in German folklore. He originally appeared in literature as the demon in the Faust legend, and he has since appeared in other works as a stock character version of Satan. Heads up.

YoureAlreadyHere
11-11-2014, 05:48 PM
Dr Google is in this bitch!

Shock Hazard
11-12-2014, 11:17 AM
AKA the antichrist or thought provoker, like Socrates, roams in LA.

Nemoris Inferioris
11-12-2014, 11:24 AM
ACSS + HW = TPE?

http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/b/b9/Mephistopheles2.jpg

Mephistopheles flying.

Looks like Cupid...

MM's visual of "Cupid Carries A Gun"?

Shock Hazard
11-12-2014, 11:34 AM
It does not look like Cupid. if anything Lucifer, but it depends on your perception of what looks 'demonic.'

Nemoris Inferioris
11-12-2014, 04:08 PM
It does not look like Cupid. if anything Lucifer, but it depends on your perception of what looks 'demonic.'

What i meant was, MM's song is "Cupid Carries A Gun", which might represent the Evil side of Cupid. Perhaps not. It does look like Lucifer. Which is another word for Satan, Devil, Evil, whatever. Cupid Carrying a gun with him, and Shoots people to fall in love. Which may be perceived by MM as a Evil figure. Which might look similar to that ^. Put a Bow/Gun in its hand, what would you see.

Cupid Also had wings.

Shock Hazard
11-12-2014, 04:45 PM
Cupid carrying a gun is more of a modernized depiction of the figure. Since love is considered irrational, the bullet wounds instead of arrows just as well penetrates and inflames the heart. Typically cupid has a young boyish figure. I guess from another prospective he could be a grown man with devilish horns and claws, but it may distort his whole image.

To be technical, Lucifer was not the same figure as Satan, but had similar treatment. I think the Mephistopheles demon here is meant to represent all that opposes good like the Antichrist, along with the irrationalities of love. Probably treated individually from Cupid but all part of the main theme Manson has always perpetuated. I guess we'll find out more once the lyrics are released.

The Empirical Guy
11-13-2014, 03:12 AM
Cupid Carrying a gun with him, and Shoots people to fall in love.

I've got a crush on a pretty pistol.

Shangri-LIE
11-13-2014, 04:32 AM
I posted the scales of justice a while before the titles were released. He's a judge. Make your own choices with caution. Be careful which voices that are whispering to you to listen to. "Try your luck" and ....watch yourselves. *Sips coffee. What are you willing to wager to save yourself? King Solomanson is waiting for you to make your next move. Select the correct floor before the house collapses on you. #justsaying #crypticstuff

Nemoris Inferioris
11-13-2014, 05:50 AM
I've got a crush on a pretty pistol.

This has non-stop references to Holy Wood.

Shangri-LIE
11-13-2014, 06:30 AM
It's the Low End of AntiChrist Superstar.

FuckmanQ
11-13-2014, 01:50 PM
It's the Mephisto Manifesto of Modesto.

Elizabeth Casto
12-18-2014, 07:46 PM
Cupid carries 2 arrows..one of gold and one of lead. the first attracts the second repels.
I can see that picture being one hell of an evil cupid.

crowded_morgue
12-18-2014, 07:54 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/1/1b/%D0%92%D0%BE%D1%81%D0%BA%D1%80%D0%B5%D1%88%D0%B5%D 0%BD%D0%B8%D0%B5_%D0%9B%D0%B0%D0%B7%D0%B0%D1%80%D1 %8F.jpg

HG131
01-04-2015, 03:34 AM
I'm feeling like someone should just make a required reading + viewing list for every album at this point.

Galaxy Boy
06-08-2015, 03:41 PM
There's more than likely no connection between the two. The Mephistopheles of Los Angeles was originally going to the the album's title, and I think it's a reflection of how MM's views himself within the public spotlight and his activities in the Hollywood world. Who knows, maybe he was inspired by the title Gossage was given, but I get the vibe Manson was assigned his nickname rather than self-formulated it.