PDA

View Full Version : Theory: One Ongoing Narrative

Jiggyjohn2
01-26-2015, 03:56 PM
So I have been revisiting a ton of Manson's previous albums and I have come to this theory: All of his albums (including the triptych) are all part of one ongoing narrative. I think, if rearranged, every album track could be connected to the triptych story.

TMC
01-26-2015, 04:21 PM
I'm starting to think that at least half of the hidden messages and meanings are made up by fans. But who knows, maybe you're right.

Mercurius
01-27-2015, 06:27 AM
The difficulty lies at the threshold of fictional/allegorical to autobiographical symbolism. Since all of Manson fictional alter egos carry a part of Manson own identity and past, there is no significant caesura of sorts between reality and allegory, or micro- and macrocosm. Therefore, your theory might be significant on an unconscious level- on the other hand, Mansons work might also be one big narrative. But I still face difficulties with positioning GAOG within the plot...

VelvetAIDS
01-27-2015, 07:16 AM
But I still face difficulties with positioning GAOG within the plot...

Omega was an alcoholic author-stripper when not on stage.

Mercurius
01-27-2015, 02:13 PM
Omega was an alcoholic author-stripper when not on stage.

Well, that explains a lot. :)

S.D.
01-27-2015, 03:13 PM
The Golden Age Of Grotesque - to me at least - has always felt like a sort-of Pop Art answer to Portrait Of An American Family; Post-Millennial Narcissism as a mirror to Nineties Nihilism. It makes some sense, then, that The Triptych is positioned between both albums. However, besides the obvious chronology of Manson's own life being reflected in what occurs on his albums, I don't think there's necessarily a join-the-dots Arch-Narrative at work, unless of course it makes sense to the listener to locate one. The best example of a continuous theme I can identify is his discussion of parents, relatives, women, and each of these being magnified under the theological lens of Christ and The Bible.

Generally, I think Manson likes to weave a tapestry of aesthetics, and also lyrical signals that create a coherent landscape between albums. Just as he created the name Marilyn Manson to be a cultural incantation, so he creates a collection of stories and images along the journey, some plausible, some fictional, some fantastical, and others too bizarre to be a construct. From within those stories, images, paintings, nuances, trivia and happenstance events emerges the continued essence of 'Marilyn Manson'.

Jiggy, you might enjoy this topic; Another One Just Like You... (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/5841)

Again, it's not necessarily claiming the body of work is thematically connected overall, but still recognising links and similarities along the way.

blue angel
01-27-2015, 03:41 PM
In the new performance videos of the new shows, to me, it looks as if Manson is conducting a funeral procession to and of Coma White. That is what I take away by how it is the last song and atmosphere, props and tone. He has also stated that he is more masculine in this new album and stage show, so it would also make sense that he is burying his Coma White, his female counterpart.

Bthcas2
01-28-2015, 08:21 AM
I also feel the funeral vibe.
It is all part of a cycle.