PDA

View Full Version : Why are tickets so expensive?

Coma Red
02-03-2015, 12:17 AM
From looking at Stubhub and related sites, all of his tickets seem to be listed at $70 or higher. Many are above $100.

Why is this? I would expect an artist like Manson to have a price range of $35-$50, which would be much more reasonable. I can easily afford these tickets, but it's weird that an artist like Manson who hasn't been huge in the mainstream for over ten years can still sell out shows with these prices, even if they are small shows. Even Lady Gaga had lower prices during her most recent tour and she's a much bigger artist than Manson at the moment.

I'm not bashing Manson. It's just odd and kind of fascinating that he can still pull in this much money at this point in his career from small shows. But does anyone know the real reason why he prices them higher than other acts that are bigger in popularity than him?

Pestilence
02-03-2015, 12:20 AM
Stubhub is always expensive. Even when a show is cheap like 32 dollars a GA ticket. They sell shit on stubhub for up to 400 dollars.

Golden Eel
02-03-2015, 01:14 AM
Stubhub is always expensive. Even when a show is cheap like 32 dollars a GA ticket. They sell shit on stubhub for up to 400 dollars.

Not really the point. Tickets were ~$75 through the official channel.

Personally. I think the reason is that anybody who buys a ticket gets a free download of the album. So instead of people spending $15 on a CD, they can just build that into the ticket price.

I can't recall but wasn't Manson much cheaper in the preceding tours. Somebody fill me in? I bet it was cheaper because it didn't include 'free' music.

Pestilence
02-03-2015, 02:07 AM
Essentially you're right it's because you're also buying a copy of The Pale Emperor. I noticed that even GA tickets for other bands usually like 32 dollars it's like 62-75 dollars in total. I was just posing a warning about Stubhub because they usually intentionally rip off people on that page. I went to stub hub to buy tickets before and it's definitely not worth it at all.

I saw Manson in Grand Rapids MI on May 6th 2012 GA and it was only like 32 dollars a ticket. I'm wondering if Manson comes back to The Orbit Room if the pricing is going to be the same or if it's going to jump up? Maybe it's because the cost of things are going up with causes things to be more expensive? But ultimately I think you have the right idea it's because you get a copy of the album.

Shock Hazard
02-03-2015, 03:31 AM
Stub Hub is a scalper site, they always charge two or three times the amont of Ticketmaster or the official outlet. Plus it's silly that they have ticket price ranges for something that's general admission. But of course they take advantage of that once something gets sold out.

Dronepool
02-03-2015, 10:00 AM
60 to 70 dollars is a normal price for a big band.

Marsmind
02-03-2015, 10:14 AM
Chicago tickets were 52.00 the additional fees the venue or ticket seller adds made it 72.00. Still worth it.

cataract777
02-03-2015, 12:24 PM
When I saw MANSON a couple years ago it was around $75. It is pricey for the venues he is playing, they're small. But I don't necessarily have an issue with the price.

Cringeon
02-03-2015, 12:28 PM
Concerts in general have gone up in the last 10yrs for me. Use to be around $35 now it's up to $50 a pop depending on the band/venue. I believe the digital downloads included with the tickets only added $2 or $3 to the totally cost of the ticket.

Golden Eel
02-03-2015, 02:56 PM
Concerts in general have gone up in the last 10yrs for me. Use to be around $35 now it's up to $50 a pop depending on the band/venue. I believe the digital downloads included with the tickets only added $2 or $3 to the totally cost of the ticket.

I wasn't talking about just how much it costs to pay that third party to host/distribute the album. I just meant since everybody with a ticket got a copy, there are that many thousands of people who won't buy the album.

VelvetAIDS
02-03-2015, 03:11 PM
I believe it was around 60-70 on the So-Cal dates (someone correct me if I'm wrong-I don't have access to my stubs right now) during the HCW Tour

cataract777
02-03-2015, 04:27 PM
I believe it was around 60-70 on the So-Cal dates (someone correct me if I'm wrong-I don't have access to my stubs right now) during the HCW Tour

Yes, about there. $70-$75 when I saw him at the Club Nokia in 2013

Terrapin
02-03-2015, 04:47 PM
I saw him for $40 in San Antonio in 2012. I wouldn't be bothered paying $60 now.

Bthcas2
02-06-2015, 10:57 AM
i dont really think tickets are that expensive at all. Have you seen the prices for aerosmith? manson could probably charge tickets being a some total of 100 or more in GA and people would pay it. (obviously seats would be cheaper...)

Nemoris Inferioris
02-06-2015, 11:19 AM
GA is quite expensive for GA. $35 for a spot in the back isn't worth it. Mind as well go with a 70$ ticket and get a little better seats. Also, i don't think getting a free download of the album would have that big of a impact. Tickets have gone up a lot in the past decade. Even for small venues. I don't think a average MM concert is sold out every show like back in the day, so i don't really know. StubHub always has expensive tickets. And a average of $70 per ticket is a lot. Don't blame Manson. I am sure he has no say in how much to charge per ticket. I guess they know that Manson fans will pay whatever it takes.

Lucille
02-06-2015, 01:21 PM
The Toronto show didn't get the free album download and it was still $75 altogether so I don't think the free album has anything to do with it. I feel it varies tour by tour and venue by venue. For example, 2008 I saw him it was $55, 2010 it was around $100 (most likely cause it was at the air canada centre which is always expensive), and 2015 was $75. I'm sure there are lots of things to consider that we don't even know about.

Hazekiah
02-06-2015, 05:01 PM
WORTH
EVERY
FUCKING
PENNY
O_O

cataract777
02-06-2015, 05:20 PM
The Toronto show didn't get the free album download and it was still $75 altogether so I don't think the free album has anything to do with it. I feel it varies tour by tour and venue by venue. For example, 2008 I saw him it was $55, 2010 it was around $100 (most likely cause it was at the air canada centre which is always expensive), and 2015 was $75. I'm sure there are lots of things to consider that we don't even know about.

$100 for a MANSON show in 2010? OH HELL NO. Lol

Lucille
02-06-2015, 06:54 PM
$100 for a MANSON show in 2010? OH HELL NO. Lol

LOL yup.

Edit: Wow come to think of it, it's kind of shocking I was willing to pay so much considering how much I hated THEOL. (But then again the time I saw him before that in 2008 was the greatest concert of my life.)

Kattatonia
02-14-2015, 12:07 AM
We bought 2 tickets off of stubhub for the Minnesota show. they were $150.00 each, We were in Row 5 and it was pretty much dead center. I know it seems like a lot of cash but I wasn't about to miss Manson ( : All of the tickets sold out VERY early to scalpers....

icon
03-20-2015, 09:50 AM
Manson tickets have pretty much averaged around 60 bucks for a good five years now. And for those giving stub hub a bad name it isn't stub hub its the individual selling the tickets that prices them and no they aren't always gouging you can find deals.