PDA

View Full Version : Portrait of an American Family artist?

whimsyleafwalrus
04-07-2015, 01:45 PM
Hellooo I'm was wondering if anyone knows who the artist responsible for the cover art of Portrait of an American Family is? love it! Thanks very much x

S.D.
04-07-2015, 01:59 PM
Good evening whimsyleafwalrus, welcome to Provider Module!

There's three answers to your question. The assembled 'American Family' scene on the record sleeve was actually created by Manson himself, the dolls and their house were handmade Manson originals. The photograph itself was taken by Jeffrey Weiss, who also shot the children's doll scene in the disc-tray section. All other photography for the record was either by Robert Perine, or Manson himself. If you have the album to hand, all this is listed in the liner notes, or if you don't own a physical copy, we have all the credits archived here at the Module: Portrait Of An American Family (http://www.providermodule.com/discography/?v=portrait_of_an_american_family)

Enjoy your stay here, I hope this helped!

whimsyleafwalrus
04-07-2015, 02:05 PM
Oh wow! Fantastic answer, thank you so much(:

whimsyleafwalrus
04-07-2015, 02:24 PM
You don't happen to know what they're made of/how they were made do you?

S.D.
04-07-2015, 11:47 PM
I don't know what it was exactly, but I'd hazard a guess at either clay or resin of some variety, or perhaps a form of Papier-mâché. I'd imagine they have wire frames also.

It's annoying, I thought I had one somewhere, but I'm sure I've seen a candid photograph of Manson actually positioning the dolls on that small set, or in a room somewhere, but couldn't find it anywhere on my harddrive. I've just moved house though, so chances are it's on some USB-or other. If anyone reading this know what I mean, and has it, please post away. If I'm not just imagining this, the dolls themselves are actually very small, about a foot or two in height.

The Empirical Guy
04-08-2015, 03:02 AM
If I'm not just imagining this, the dolls themselves are actually very small, about a foot or two in height.

This is something I've always wondered about, based on the scale of other items in the photo. If the dolls are around a foot tall, then were items such as the Beatles figurines and the dad's "No one ever raped a .38" belt buckle custom made to size? Because they'd have to be only a centimeter or so each, were real ones actually made at that size for sale, or did Manson make those too?