PDA

View Full Version : Water Gate To a Whole New Time 0r PLace

Two Faced Egg (23)
04-14-2015, 02:22 PM
Anyone Care to discuss the Obvious Correlation we see In Media ,Storylines & Meme's of Water being featured in Stargates & Time travel ? First odd thing is that after seeing so much of it & then reflecting on that Ancient history Nixon scandal ,why did it carry that particular Meme so well ? We have probably all Passed into this world through Water in the womb , Perhaps it's a Buffer of sorts . As far as Films More Recently we have Hot tub Time Machine , The Box , Constantine , The recent Mini series on SyFy Ascension ,The Infamous Series "StarGate" , maybe even Back to the Future I , if You consider it Raining , Is it in Terminator ? I don't remember , There is no shortage of the Message , but what does it mean ?

blue angel
04-14-2015, 02:50 PM
In Terminator 2, the metal flows like water and that is swimmingly. Everything is borne of water.

VelvetAIDS
04-14-2015, 02:57 PM
Out of all of the elements Water is at times seen as both a physical and spiritual conduit. A mirror/reflection at times...a "lubricant" for a transition between worlds/dimensions/whathaveyou (though in some cultures Unclean Spirits are unable to traverse bodies of water). I suppose if it rains one should run screaming into the night in case of extra-dimensional beings immigrating into this plane.

S.D.
04-22-2015, 10:25 AM
Johnny Cash wrote a song about water, so it's all-right by me.

Neves
04-22-2015, 04:58 PM
Andrew Eldritch wrote a lot of songs about water and I love them.

FeedYourHead
04-23-2015, 06:44 PM
I'm honestly still not sure if this thread is legit or trolling, but, oh well.

? We have probably all Passed into this world through Water in the womb , Perhaps it's a Buffer of sorts
I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say that you can eliminate the word "probably" from that sentence.

But interestingly, we've all passed into this world through water in more ways than one. Most literally through the womb, but also in a broader sense because the origin of life on earth can be traced back to water - life on this planet began in the ocean. The planet's first organisms were all, for lack of a better term, "aquatic;" nothing adapted to live on land until so much later. "We all came from the sea."
So it's kind of cool to consider the premise of this thread, that water is frequently associated with time travel, because if we were to trace our own lives/roots/history back through time, it would take us right into the ocean (or on a more personal and direct level, water in the womb. Amniotic fluid is actually predominantly water so that checks out).

Also water is always associated with spring and rebirth and purification (blah blah blah) so there's that too.

Water always appears to be naturally moving, following a current, and is extremely dynamic, so it makes sense to associate it with movement and travel. We also can immediately mentally recall certain properties of water/bodies of water, like the fact that it moves with extensive force/pressure and extremely rapidly - two things that are easy to imagine are necessary for something like time travel. Water also represented the first "speedy" means of travel and transport in modern human civilization. The ability to travel and import/export goods via ships affected humanity and globalization, one could argue, in the same way and to the same degree that the invention of the Internet has, so it's not surprising that people almost inherently want to associate water with rapid or grand-scale transport.

Another thing is that time travel and space travel probably involve a lot of imagery and concepts that either can't or don't translate well visually to an audience that can only see things in three dimensions, so I feel like maybe water and also fire imagery get used a lot in an attempt to portray things like plasma and dark matter and gas and other dimensions and wormholes to an audience. You can't really like, accurately show what time travel looks like on film.

Regarding Watergate, again, not sure if that was intended to be serious or not, but the watergate scandal was so named because of the building complex that the office and hotel were located in (Watergate Complex) so it has nothing to do with the actual scandal or events that took place there.

Per Wiki:
"The complex sits near the eastern terminus of the Chesapeake and Ohio Canal, which operated from 1831 to 1924 and is now a National Historical Park. A large wooden water gate marks the point where the canal meets the Potomac River.
In his 2009 book Presidential Power on Trial: From Watergate to All the President's Men, William Noble wrote that the Watergate "got its name from overlooking the 'gate' that regulated the flow of water from the Potomac River into the Tidal Basin at flood tide."
In 2004, Washington Post writer John Kelly argued that the name was most directly linked to the "Water Steps" or "Water Gate," a set of ceremonial stairs west of the Lincoln Memorial that lead down to the Potomac.The steps had been originally planned as a the ceremonial gateway to the city and an official reception area for dignitaries arriving in Washington, D.C., via water taxi from Virginia, though they never served this function."

So, in conclusion, you very appropriately ended your post with "But what does it mean???"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uYnBKLXCG6A

Because it really comes down to the fact that water molecules are shaped like mickey mouse (http://science.jrank.org/kids/article_images/microworlds_p20a.jpg), so Walt Disney must have invented time travel.

Golden Eel
04-23-2015, 10:48 PM
What in god's name are you guys talking about? I guess since my comments telling OP that their writing style is incredibly, objectively, stupid were too meanie weanie for Provider Module and had to be removed, I should probably at least flesh out my point a bit more. Assuming I don't get scolded via private message for disagreeing with OP's point, because a Marilyn Manson web forum is a place for only love and kindness (unless of course you're one of the staff members disparaging somebody who doesn't support something Marilyn Manson does.) But I digress!

So it's kind of cool to consider the premise of this thread, that water is frequently associated with time travel

Let's stop right here for a second. The premise of the thread, that water is frequently associated with time travel, is totally nonsense.

Anyone Care to discuss the Obvious Correlation we see In Media ,Storylines & Meme's of Water being featured in Stargates & Time travel ?

In no way is it obvious, first of all. Grab 100,000 people off the street and ask them what's the first thing they think of when they hear "time travel." I promise none of them will say "water."

First odd thing is that after seeing so much of it & then reflecting on that Ancient history Nixon scandal ,why did it carry that particular Meme so well ?

What? This is barely even a sentence. Literally this sentence makes no sense. OP is literally just referencing an event that happens to contain the word "water" and then casually carries on without even a slight elaboration. What the hell? What the hell could OP possibly be talking about? I command our dedicated readers to try and solve this puzzle for us!

We have probably all Passed into this world through Water in the womb , Perhaps it's a Buffer of sorts .

Yes, bodily fluids tend to be a 'buffer' between the inside of a human's body and the outside. Therefore, using some basic elementary logic, something something time travel. (???) In all seriousness, we were already 'in this world' before passing through any water on our way out of the womb. Both the spaces inside and outside of a woman's womb are still the same plane of existence. All I'm getting so far is that you think a vagina is a Stargate.

As far as Films More Recently we have Hot tub Time Machine , The Box , Constantine , The recent Mini series on SyFy Ascension ,The Infamous Series "StarGate" , maybe even Back to the Future I , if You consider it Raining , Is it in Terminator ? I don't remember , There is no shortage of the Message , but what does it mean ?

Okay, in the fourth sentence (?) of your attempt to make a point, you've already exhausted all of your "obvious" examples, to the point that you're trying to build a connection between time travel and the fact that it rains in Back to the Future and Terminator? This does not bode well for the strength of your premise.

The Box has nothing to do with time travel. Constantine has nothing to do with time travel. Ascension has nothing to do with time travel. Maybe you can have half a point for Stargate in that the gates happen to have some sort of inter-dimensional liquid in them. And as we all know, Hot Tub Time Machine is known for it's hearty references to classic time travel tropes, such as the age-old time travelling hot tub.

My point here is that, since this is the 'philosophies' subforum, perhaps we should think for maybe two seconds about the premise of a discussion and whether it even makes any sense before blindly and crazily running with it. FeedYourHead's post is a great example of what I'm talking about.

But interestingly, we've all passed into this world through water in more ways than one. Most literally through the womb, but also in a broader sense because the origin of life on earth can be traced back to water - life on this planet began in the ocean. The planet's first organisms were all, for lack of a better term, "aquatic;" nothing adapted to live on land until so much later. "We all came from the sea."
[...] if we were to trace our own lives/roots/history back through time, it would take us right into the ocean (or on a more personal and direct level, water in the womb. Amniotic fluid is actually predominantly water so that checks out).

It's interesting that a point you made here makes the rest of your post seem entirely silly and redundant. "the origin of life on earth can be traced back to water." Yes, exactly. Water is far and away the most abundant thing on the entire planet and inside living organisms. With that fact in mind, it's trivial to make a correlation between water and anything at all. I could write up a post about how interesting it is that water has such a closely intertwined relationship with war, or cats, or sword-fighting, or slavery. Seriously, I could do it with anything. That's why it's so baffling to me that OP decided to choose a subject that's so decidedly not correlated with water, of all things.

I just think it's really strange that FeedYourHead and, to a lesser extent, the rest of you are running with a premise and connecting unrelated dots about a concept that OP seemingly pulled out of their ass.

VelvetAIDS
04-23-2015, 10:55 PM
I just think it's really strange that FeedYourHead and, to a lesser extent, the rest of you are running with a premise and connecting unrelated dots about a concept that OP seemingly pulled out of their ass.

http://ak.picdn.net/shutterstock/videos/2595092/preview/stock-footage-child-sitting-in-a-bathtub-chewing-a-rubber-duck.jpg

FeedYourHead
04-24-2015, 01:58 AM
Oh I absolutely agree that the premise is total nonsense. I just thought it would be fun and amusing to try and take it completely seriously for second. I haven't even seen a single movie or tv show listed in the original post. I just liked the idea of actually briefly entertaining this, especially since our previous posts in the thread were removed because apparently this is not a troll(?). But one of the first things I thought when I initially read this thread was "...but water is associated with literally everything ever" and it's actually somewhat because of that that I wanted to see what I could draw out of it for fun. I would hope that most people would not be taking my post all THAT seriously - given... everything.

S.D.
04-24-2015, 03:59 PM
Depending on one's opinion of Psychology and brain development In Utero, it could be surmised that if we subconsciously remember being submerged in - and sustained by - amniotic fluid, then water holds a sort-of pre-natal attraction. I'm not certain that relates inherently to the notion of 'Time Travel' as a Science Fiction concept, but it would support the science behind our dependence on water, how thirst/hydration can affect our emotions and mood, or how the process of bathing can give a temporary feeling of 'rebirth'.

Getting wrapped up any further into the notion, however, would cross into a New Age territory of talking utter bullshit.

Being a fervent fan of various Science Fiction vehicles, though, water is an attractive conduit for a lot of transformations. Not even travelling through time, consider the consistent imagery of giant fluid vats, creatures that are water-based, and as was noted, even machinery represented as fluid. I'm not entirely sure if this is the sort of conversation the topic author was aiming for, but hey, I'll play along, more fun that being a STICK-IN-THE-MUD.

Shangri-LIE
04-25-2015, 06:42 AM
All matter contains water. Liquid is in everything. The planet is 80% water. WE are 80% water. Do the math. I don't think that's a coincidence.

Two Faced Egg (23)
04-25-2015, 08:15 AM
Thanks for the Time & all the replies. First, about My writing style - I could have wrote "there is probably a correlation " and placed "Obvious we all entered this world through womb of water " but alas , I pulled a switcheroo, because it is really Motherfuckn' boring the other way around. Theirs lots of great humor all over this forum , but I am a bad comedian , why people couldn't see a bit of tongue in cheek paradox. I also used the word 'or' in whole new time or place , I am expressing a passionate interest in wormholes , teleportation , bridgegates , whatever ! " The outrageous is the reasonable , .. if introduced politely " - Charles Fort May I tell a story ? Rutan , a close friend of mine that has had many discussions on this subject , was with me watching the X-files series , episode 14 , season six titled "Monday" .. Fox Mulder is stuck in this "Groundhog day " like Time loop , repeatedly waking up late because of a shorted out alarm clock, on none the less than a waterbed ( lol - which He isn't allowed to have in his apartment) that's been punctured , Squirting water several feet in the air & creating a hazard of puddles . It was a bit of information on part of the writer/Director or somebody .. either conscious or not. 'Noticing what We notice and why, is one the revelatory aspects' so the next day we decide on a whim'Ss , to See X-men - Days of future past , in this Marvelous plot we see & hear Kitty Pryde , who's mutant power is one that can send people back in time by just being with them and keeping focus , placing her hands on around their 'Temple' , Wolverine's consciousness gets sent back decades into a younger self's body , laying on a waterbed .. We look at each other in acknowledgement & later when the film is over we make jokes that they could have easily had it where his Claws had punctured the bed . haha. yea .. I have had hundreds , maybe countless Synchronicities , ( not all to do with water.. or 23..) & yes I already have been researching them from as many points of view as I can , writers like Carl Gustav Jung is a great place to start , even the skeptics & people like Dr.Kirby Surprise who wrote 'synchronicity and mental illness' and I confess , I think way to much about what some of their opinions are , like every day , for years it has crossed my mind. That is what this thread is about , ... would it have done better in the Cinema thread? I didn't put there because I needed a bit more freedom to play with , Thank You' TFE (TwentyThree)

Shangri-LIE
04-25-2015, 09:29 AM
Thanks for the Time & all the replies. First, about My writing style - I could have wrote "there is probably a correlation " and placed "Obvious we all entered this world through womb of water " but alas , I pulled a switcheroo, because it is really Motherfuckn' boring the other way around. Theirs lots of great humor all over this forum , but I am a bad comedian , why people couldn't see a bit of tongue in cheek paradox. I also used the word 'or' in whole new time or place , I am expressing a passionate interest in wormholes , teleportation , bridgegates , whatever ! " The outrageous is the reasonable , .. if introduced politely " - Charles Fort May I tell a story ? Rutan , a close friend of mine that has had many discussions on this subject , was with me watching the X-files series , episode 14 , season six titled "Monday" .. Fox Mulder is stuck in this "Groundhog day " like Time loop , repeatedly waking up late because of a shorted out alarm clock, on none the less than a waterbed ( lol - which He isn't allowed to have in his apartment) that's been punctured , Squirting water several feet in the air & creating a hazard of puddles . It was a bit of information on part of the writer/Director or somebody .. either conscious or not. 'Noticing what We notice and why, is one the revelatory aspects' so the next day we decide on a whim'Ss , to See X-men - Days of future past , in this Marvelous plot we see & hear Kitty Pryde , who's mutant power is one that can send people back in time by just being with them and keeping focus , placing her hands on around their 'Temple' , Wolverine's consciousness gets sent back decades into a younger self's body , laying on a waterbed .. We look at each other in acknowledgement & later when the film is over we make jokes that they could have easily had it where his Claws had punctured the bed . haha. yea .. I have had hundreds , maybe countless Synchronicities , ( not all to do with water.. or 23..) & yes I already have been researching them from as many points of view as I can , writers like Carl Gustav Jung is a great place to start , even the skeptics & people like Dr.Kirby Surprise who wrote 'synchronicity and mental illness' and I confess , I think way to much about what some of their opinions are , like every day , for years it has crossed my mind. That is what this thread is about , ... would it have done better in the Cinema thread? I didn't put there because I needed a bit more freedom to play with , Thank You' TFE (TwentyThree)

http://cdn.someecards.com/someecards/usercards/1297311135601_5134061.png

S.D.
04-25-2015, 11:33 AM
It's okay, no one likes MixMastahTee anyway, not even MixMastahTee.

Golden Eel
04-25-2015, 04:47 PM
It's okay, no one likes MixMastahTee anyway, not even MixMastahTee.

So I make a post commenting on a user's objectively horrid, barely decipherable, Kindergarten level grammar skills and I get my posts removed and get a nice private message from Terrapin because there's "no reason to blatantly throw insults at users no matter the circumstance" and I'm "only creating an unbecomingly toxic atmosphere" he's just "simply tired of seeing insulting remarks constantly".

But the head admin on the forum can make a post consisting of telling users that nobody likes them, just because he doesn't like my point of view in a philosophies thread? I'm not actually complaining about S.D.'s treatment of me, because I'm not a whiny manchild and I can handle somebody being mean to me on the internet without having a mental breakdown, I'm just pointing out the fact that the staff here is hilariously hypocritical. Don't blame me for following in the footsteps of the admins in the way I conduct myself.

Terrapin
04-25-2015, 11:03 PM
So I make a post commenting on a user's objectively horrid, barely decipherable, Kindergarten level grammar skills and I get my posts removed and get a nice private message from Terrapin because there's "no reason to blatantly throw insults at users no matter the circumstance" and I'm "only creating an unbecomingly toxic atmosphere" he's just "simply tired of seeing insulting remarks constantly".

But the head admin on the forum can make a post consisting of telling users that nobody likes them, just because he doesn't like my point of view in a philosophies thread? I'm not actually complaining about S.D.'s treatment of me, because I'm not a whiny manchild and I can handle somebody being mean to me on the internet without having a mental breakdown, I'm just pointing out the fact that the staff here is hilariously hypocritical. Don't blame me for following in the footsteps of the admins in the way I conduct myself.
There's quite a big difference in S.D.'s post and your posts name-calling users "retarded" and the like. If you care to discuss/complain about this further, and as to not throw this off topic, feel free to PM any of us.

S.D.
04-26-2015, 05:05 AM
The core difference is that I don't crusade around this forum seemingly going out of my way to criticise or undermine people. You may not not think you do this, but that's how it appears to a lot of others. We're none of us children here, a few crass, below-the-belt jokes make the whole Provider Module experience worth it sometimes, but it's not an implicit part of communication.
I actually agree with a lot of your ideas or opinions, but that doesn't mean I enjoy the way they're vocalised. Everyone gets it, you don't believe in the supernatural, you look down on people who think spiritually rather than scientifically, you'd prefer it if other users carefully chose their words so conversations reflected how you want to be perceived, you'd like to suck off Maynard James Keenan, and there's the whole public Passive/Aggressive thing you've got going on with FeedYourHead. After a while though, the Comic Book Guy persona can get a little tiring, so if you're wondering why your posts are getting moved or individuals are becoming irritated, perhaps that's something to think about. My ability to be rude once in a while is unrelated to being an Administrator, and is something that happens so rarely, that generally people understand it's not born out of any vendetta, or frustration.

Also, I think we're all long enough in the tooth to appreciate that nonsensical grammar, illogical ramblings, and tin-hat theorising are kind-of par for the course on a Marilyn Manson fan website. I'd go so far to say it would be a dull, Reznor-approved atmosphere without those elements.

Anyway, sage advice from Terrapin, the inboxes of staff are always open, you are more than welcome to send a message if there's any further confusion.

Golden Eel
04-26-2015, 12:38 PM
I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed every day for the last 5 years.

Two Faced Egg (23)
04-27-2015, 12:23 PM
I guess I just woke up on the wrong side of the bed every day for the last 5 years.

haha'Ss MMT , that would have been perfect if You had said 'woke up on the wrong side of the WaterBed for the Last 5 years ' Lol' Cheers'

YoureAlreadyHere
11-23-2015, 11:07 AM
The Box has nothing to do with time travel. Constantine has nothing to do with time travel. Ascension has nothing to do with time travel. Maybe you can have half a point for Stargate in that the gates happen to have some sort of inter-dimensional liquid in them. And as we all know, Hot Tub Time Machine is known for it's hearty references to classic time travel tropes, such as the age-old time travelling hot tub.
Time traveling is a relative term; unfortunately, MMT can only focus on his own ideas and preconceived notions of what is and isn't reality. Having MMT in this thread at all is quite Hilarious! Ironic how he throws out insults, yet they only deprive himself of character or respect. Your simple, closed-off mind, MMT is reminiscent of elementary logic. What is really so bad at home, little boy blue? Perhaps you SHOULD invest in a waterbed.

My point here is that, since this is the 'philosophies' subforum, perhaps we should think for maybe two seconds about the premise of a discussion and whether it even makes any sense before blindly and crazily running with it. FeedYourHead's post is a great example of what I'm talking about.

/facepalm. So many levels. Bet I’m facepalming in an alt reality, as well.

Out of all of the elements Water is at times seen as both a physical and spiritual conduit. A mirror/reflection at times...a "lubricant" for a transition between worlds/dimensions/whathaveyou (though in some cultures Unclean Spirits are unable to traverse bodies of water). I suppose if it rains one should run screaming into the night in case of extra-dimensional beings immigrating into this plane.

This ^ great explanation.

And maybe, these “portals” or “stargates” are expressed with liquid fashion not because of how common place water is and vital to our existence (though I beLIEve this to be the absolute case), but because of some unseen collective unconsciousness directing us to express it/understand it in such a way….
But in relation to my beLIEf, could be that art imitates life (in relation to movies denoted above)

In reference to Watergate, I think the meme of water and a floodgate was so actively affiliated because of the obvious release of information/disclosure. Happen to know onomatology of the site? You may have a message… tear down the walls!

Title of thread brings back A Whole New World / The Little Mermaid... mickey mouse water molecule lolz

YoureAlreadyHere
11-23-2015, 12:24 PM
But in relation to my beLIEf, could be that art imitates life (in relation to movies denoted above)

Or does life imitate art?

Who the fudge knows. <- yes, that is a statement according to grammar. Remember kids, free yourself from the nation of indoctrination..