PDA

View Full Version : Can Journalism not be voyeuristic?

Mercurius
06-13-2015, 01:46 PM
Is there a possibility for journalism not to be trivializing, voyeuristic, lurid and unethical?
Your inputs and thoughts on this topic, please.

blue angel
06-13-2015, 08:51 PM
I had to consider this for awhile and have to say that my answer is no, I honestly think not.

Shangri-LIE
06-15-2015, 07:09 AM
Journalism is what I consider "Through the Wormhole" only narrated by some annoying white people with no regard for responsibility or even accuracy. They're n-iggers. They run their mouths to arouse people, as information is a tool, ( like a lawnmower blade or any blunt object you can beat someone over the head with repeatedly), then just stand around and film it like the amateur videos you'd see by looking up Hood Fights/Middle Eastern Torture and Punishment videos. It's Softcore Snuff. Fear and confusion. I think people get a sexual thrill from it. It's orgasmic and it's in high demand. The supply is endless.

casper
06-15-2015, 07:43 AM
I recently left a job as a news radio reporter in Canada and I can tell you the amount of hostility dished out at me while doing my job in the field was rather shocking. There were definitely times it felt voyeuristic, but that's what it took to get the facts. It's about people stories, setting the record straight on stories people would otherwise gossip about without reputable sources. Knowing how news works and watching American news, it's very theatre. There, it seems quite acceptable to blur the line between entertainment and news, almost creative non-fiction in a way. Not to say we don't have our share of gossipy tabloids masquerading as news, but I think news is done very differently here overall, even for those publications.

Shangri-LIE
06-15-2015, 07:56 AM
I recently left a job as a news radio reporter in Canada and I can tell you the amount of hostility dished out at me while doing my job in the field was rather shocking. There were definitely times it felt voyeuristic, but that's what it took to get the facts. It's about people stories, setting the record straight on stories people would otherwise gossip about without reputable sources. Knowing how news works and watching American news, it's very theatre. There, it seems quite acceptable to blur the line between entertainment and news, almost creative non-fiction in a way. Not to say we don't have our share of gossipy tabloids masquerading as news, but I think news is done very differently here overall, even for those publications.

Yeah, it is very theatrical here. It's candy coated propaganda. They turn the news into a Tv Mini Series. Even with the people they interview. They look for the most distraught, flamboyant, idiotic and confused people they can to interview. They don't like to stray from the script/narrative. They cut mic's off, interrupt constantly, have panels of people on all speaking at once. It's more about deception and over inflated opinion here. They don't like level headed people with real answers or solutions to things.

Mercurius
06-15-2015, 11:08 AM
What I find particularly disturbing about journalism is its trivializing quality- everything looses its values, its position and its context- marginalizing, labeling, and, as Shangs said, arousing is the motto here. News in Europe may be less theatrical than in the US, which I find even more disturbing, for manipulation becomes subtler, elusive and hard to grasp. What I wonder is the following:
Can journalism be ethical? Or does its sheer nature evade ethics?

Mercurius
06-15-2015, 11:09 AM

Thank you casper! It is highly interesting to have an eyewitness report here! :)

Shangri-LIE
06-16-2015, 06:13 AM
What I find particularly disturbing about journalism is its trivializing quality- everything looses its values, its position and its context- marginalizing, labeling, and, as Shangs said, arousing is the motto here. News in Europe may be less theatrical than in the US, which I find even more disturbing, for manipulation becomes subtler, elusive and hard to grasp. What I wonder is the following:
Can journalism be ethical? Or does its sheer nature evade ethics?

Considering the facts that they can use personal information from your social media, medical history/records, sneak into other countries and onto your property/unauthorized locations, keep their sources confidential and rely on whistle blowers to provide them with leaked information/documents among many, many other things. Then no. They have no sense of or regard for ethics....which is much different than standards. Journalism is more invasive than a vaginoplasty. lol

Celebrity Killing Spree
06-16-2015, 11:23 AM
I think people understand as they are watching/reading it that the news should be taken with a grain of salt and that there is a certain implicit degree of sensationalism involved. So it doesn't so much bother me that this is how people get their news nowadays.

What does bother me are the specious appeals to authority that seem to be easy to get away with. The bullshit that gets thrown around as SCIENCE or ACADEMICS or POLITICAL ACTIVISM. If news agencies/bloggers/stupidtumblrgirls(we'regonnaneedemwherewe'regointo night) want to push a certain agenda or message that's totally fine with me. But they should have to own it and own up to it instead of borrowing on the credibility of people who actually care about evidence and objectivity.

Mercurius
06-16-2015, 12:28 PM
I think people understand as they are watching/reading it that the news should be taken with a grain of salt and that there is a certain implicit degree of sensationalism involved. So it doesn't so much bother that this is how people get their news nowadays.

What does bother me are the specious appeals to authority that seem to be easy to get away with. The bullshit that gets thrown around as SCIENCE or ACADEMICS or POLITICAL ACTIVISM. If news agencies/bloggers/stupidtumblrgirls(we'regonnaneedemwherewe'regointo night) want to push a certain agenda or message that's totally fine with me. But they should have to own it and own up to it instead of borrowing on the credibility of people who actually care about evidence and objectivity.

I see- it is indeed a peculiar phenomenon that it is so easy to refer to canonized institutions as the ones you mentioned without further reference. Yet, I believe that the sensationalism and profound negative or positive anesthetization of opinions and events deprive us of the very qualities that we require in order to live together. Communication is still naught but the desperate attempt to transform an individual recognized as non-self into another version of ourselves- be it by interweaving ideologies or by regarding an individual/ethnic group as a peculiar curiosum. This keeps us from maintaining a standard level of humanity.

Two Faced Egg (23)
07-11-2015, 09:04 AM
We really , really Want this personal Voyeur experience though. This Voyeur-Ism is So Marvelous. I flirt with Journal writing , I haven't been that close to the 'Machine' though .. ( or .. have I .. ) - The Lovely Fortean , Cryptozoologist Loren Coleman wrote a great book - The Copycat effect: How the Media and Popular culture trigger the Mayhem in tomorrow's Headlines. I have probably referenced that Book .. on this forum .. I don't know How many times .. I Suspect Mr.Manson has read it. Loren Coleman is a fan of ( and friends with ) the writers who penned out the Kick fuckin' Ass weird "King Kill 33" essay. Also highly recommend ( ..not "High" though ! Lol'Ss ) reading His Blog 'Twilight Language' . I got to say , this thread reminded Me instantly of the 2014 Film - "NightCrawler" with Mr.Gyllenhaal. Really Fucked uP experience that was.