PDA

View Full Version : Descriptive and Literary Writing

Penance Sentence
12-20-2015, 03:27 PM
Writing and typing have evolved over time, and things like Poetry and great short-stories, novels, or even just ordinary writing has evolved to spark the imagination in a different way. By using all of this imagination, and drawing someone a picture, or a map of your idea for another's head, is it always a necessary aesthetic choice? I am curious to read from others' opinions, but even trolling has taken on a very imaginative and poetic state of conveyance.

I sometimes type while forgoing certain articles, and the sense of typing can almost seem as if a foreigner, but I have also been very 'academic' with grammar, while trying to explain things in a logical idea. It comes down to movies vs books. Books give you more to work with, can use your brain to fill in the details, whereas movies give you Scientific documented fact example of, "This is how it is." While it is certainly less imaginative, it gives you an idea sooner, and then you are more able to use that idea in conjunction with original ideas in your head. It's a faster, more time-efficient approach for the spark of intellectual pursuits.

Also, "Armchair Philosophy" uses this very imaginative language, but gets called out on it for trying to sound too official, and comes off as pretentious. Yet, Academically-published books and dissertations can get away with it before they are State-funded. Both methods can serve their purposes, I think. Obviously colder approach would fail while writing love letters or something. Imaginative style would fail when trying to approach Academics without any credentials (i.e. Christopher Langan)

What do you guys think? I think this is very interesting issue. Sometimes I feel messages and ideology being sent could do without the emotional attachment and "romantic language."

Penance Sentence
12-20-2015, 03:57 PM
Edit: English has Romance Language origins, and retains it more annoying languages I find than other langues like Russian or Finnish, and this imaginative language may be more difficult to "trim the fat" in say, Italian. Italian language and other Euro-Med companies can get in the way of the simply-fact based Nature of the Colder-oriented Euro languages.
It don't think it's a coincidence that Northern Euros and some Eastern Euros have more logic-based cultures and Sciences, cultures, and languages.

Zimscum
12-20-2015, 09:05 PM
#toolongfuckthis

Penance Sentence
12-20-2015, 09:21 PM
You hit the nail on the head. Fuck this shit.

#Hashtags, because fuck letters, we like numbers.

OP is a piece of shit.

FeedYourHead
12-20-2015, 10:58 PM
Just want to point out that English doesn't really have any romance language roots. It's germanic in origin and is much more similiar and closely related to german (onviously), danish, swedish, dutch, etc. More modernly, english has picked up some words from actual romance languages and incorporated them into english vocabulary, but that's not as common as you would think. English is much more like the other germanic languages in scandinania and the slavic-rooted languages in eastern europe.

Shangri-LIE
12-21-2015, 03:22 AM
Yeah, FUCK YOU, PENANCE SENTENCE!

Typing out three whole paragraphs n' shit. Aint nobody got time for that. But no, seriously, good post. I think you proved your point with the Movies vs. Books example. Though there's nothing like a great movie! People seem to need things "spelled out" for them instead of letting their imaginations wander. I think that it makes people uncomfortable. People don't want to watch videos that are too long even if they are 10 minutes long, so now we have 6 - 7 second Vines. No one wants to read a long post or status update so we have Twitter. Not everyone is like this, but people have developed into what I like to call the "Parochialarchy". TL:DR - TL:DW. "Get to the point". Well, sometimes there isn't a point. Sometimes there isn't a plot and if there is one it is intertwined with an entanglement of numerous concepts and themes that seems like nonsense, but if you really analyze it, you'll see that that it is one that is an entanglement of sonder. Sonder, which is an interesting word because it's taken from the "Dictionary of Obscure Sorrows" which is a compendium of invented words that can describe so much more than what anything with known roots can . As you mentioned "Armchair Philosophy". The meaning of that word being "The realization that each random passerby is living a life as vivid and complex as your own" and we see it in so many films such a 'Pulp Fiction", "Reservoir Dogs", "Fight Club", "The Boondock Saints", "Natural Born Killers" and so on.

As for "Romantic Language" I think that whatever is written or whatever is spoken is all about the delivery/how it's conveyed. You could make the word C-unt seem breathtaking if you use it in a context that isn't purely derogatory, and if it is, again, it' all about delivery. For example; "Do I really have to give that Cunt CPR?" That can be interpreted many ways. Being hesitant to perform Cunnilingus on an STD, stillborn baby yolk drizzling, sewage rot smelling woman's vagina? Playing God and waiting til the last second to share a series of life saving breaths with someone that you really think ought to die?

As for Trolling. There are so many variations of that word and what it means. "Trolls can be costly in several ways. A troll can disrupt the discussion on a newsgroup, disseminate bad advice, and damage the feeling of trust in the newsgroup community. Furthermore, in a group that has become sensitized to trolling – where the rate of deception is high – many honestly na´ve questions may be quickly rejected as trollings. This can be quite off-putting to the new user who upon venturing a first posting is immediately bombarded with angry accusations. Even if the accusation is unfounded, being branded a troll is quite damaging to one's online reputation". But is it really just trying to be disruptive? You can be an "Accidental Troll". You can be a "Concern Troll" or a "Political Troll". Basically anyone who thinks that whatever you are saying is ridiculous, even if it's in good fun with no intended harm or anonymous malice, could be considered trolling. Just for not having conventional conversations. People can call you a Troll just like I often see people called Sexists or Racists just because a Person of another Race or Gender simply disagrees with you. It can be as damaging to your reputation as a false rape allegation. The same with people with a different mindset.

Back to real subject. Personally what I post is whatever I consider to be Comedic or taking a different slant, even if it's on an insignificant platform such as an Internet forum or Facebook, on what I consider to be thought provoking. I've "changed my pitch up" (LOL) over the years as far as my method(s) of posting goes. It's not always intended to "stir the pot" or to be a total fucking weirdo, but because it's something different. I find it refreshing. It can be very cathartic and both very entertaining to see how people reply to it or interpret something. So whenever it comes to "Romance", I consider laughter to be more romantic than almost anything else. Especially whenever again, it's using words WAY out of context, just making random shit up or having fun with prose. I don't see a point in always being well spoken, though I used to.

Penance Sentence
12-21-2015, 06:35 PM
FYH, I agree with you wrote and am well-aware of the Germanic origins of the language. That being said, much of the language has French and Latin sources. Also, the ancient Germanics had some meddling with the Romans, especially after they overtook it. Those Germanics travelled to England. Few centuries later, The Pope had the English kings by the balls. So, take it for what it's worth.

On another note, English retained annoying redundancies. Like in French language, we deal with unnecessary article preceding all nouns. I was not referring to more Germanic and Central Euros, by knowing the German that I do, it is far more tolerable than English (but still retains idiosyncratic "rules," mostly because Austria is slightly North of South Tyrol, and Milan and those more Northern regions of Italy used to be part of Germanic kingdom. With however NE Scandinavian and Eastern Euro countries, much of their similarities are very different from more Western Euros. Different alphabetical differences, and the say Finnish parts, very close to Russian border, for example. I dated Eastern Euros, and have friends from both cultures, and they even remark on linguistic differences, and how those cultures emphasize difference on speech, which is more to the point, more harsh, and less expressive.). My theory is the cold climate (but I do not wish to stray too far, and delve into anthropology too much, or even discuss 20th century Racial Theory.)

Nonetheless, good post. And I appreciate your contribution to thread.

And Shangri, I enjoyed your post as well. I agree with your analysis of the thread.

I'd have been discussing what you termed "Concerned Troll," and "Political Troll," However, the term itself "Troll" is hard to define, and it's funny because finally, trolling is now becoming more and more hard to define, even though its name immediately suggested that it should have been more immediate process. Everyone could technically be called troll. Even and especially people who are "anti-troll." Troll itself has placed emphasis on trans-cultural phenomenon that couldn't have been more thoroughly realized before internet.

Armchair Philosophy has always keenly interested me. I can think of it as someone not being taken seriously because they do not have any applicable credentials, or truly insane individuals like Time Cube Theory, and many other web gems I have come across over the years. Even the truly insane of the insane serve their purpose. They usually contain less of immediate agenda/propaganda, it seems, than academic-produced theories and philosophies.

On a slightly separate note, I think Armchair Philosophy can also refer to masses of truly most intelligent humans, who would have been much more obscure than before advent of internet. Christopher Langan wouldn't be known at all. It seems most sentience intelligence to exist desires spotlight much less than less intelligent individuals. Christopher Langan has embittered rivalry against academia, Richard Rosner makes complete joke of officiality of certain persons, institutions, and society (he graduated highschool few times to try to master the social 'politics' of highschool). So yes, laughter can be ultimate form of de-valuing something (if laughing in sense of superiority, not nervous laughter obviously), but then how far would laughter be from true joy which can be seen as superiority and understanding true pattern, like how one's brains goes wild with dopamine because of predicting what will happen next in song, but in more appropriate sense of thread, movie or book?)

It seems there to be overlap with joy and laughter, and most likely is case perspective/choosing how to see world (like a very obvious example I could give.

Good post. Your comment has been appreciated.

FeedYourHead
12-22-2015, 09:17 PM
Wait I have questions. It's really exciting to me that you're familiar with all these languages. I'm not sure I'm inferring correctly so I want to openly ask, which languages do not put articles before nouns? I've never thought about how unnecessary that is. When we were learning romance languages I remember thinking it sucks so hard that there are genders and plurals of articles preceding nouns, like how the article is different and dependent on the specific noun. Versus in english where it's just "the" no matter what the noun is. The whole practice is kind of funny actually, like you're announcing "THIS IS A NOUN" before you actually say the noun, as if it wouldn't be obvious. You're so right. What other redundancies do you find present and annoying?? Also do other languages besides romance languages typically have a "you plural" verb conjugation, or are most other languages like english and only have a "you singular"? Also does french require you to speak in the "you plural" as a form of politeness like all the time, or is that a rarity? But I am so interested in other english redundancies, could you please point more of them out? Also is german at all different if you're in germany versus in austria?

Penance Sentence
12-22-2015, 11:48 PM
My Dear, I agree with everything you said.

I could also discuss phonemes, minimal pairs within phonology, and really discuss Latin languages and the similarity between words, and how English picked them up. I would just like to clarify about articles: I was merely referring to the languages (like French) that cannot separate them. From what I know, every language uses articles to some degree, but I could be wrong. Some more of a reliance than others, is what I was referring to.

What I mean about redundancies: Look at Finnish language. That is all I have to say. Finnish is one of hardest languages to learn, and there is a reason why it is that way for natural-English speaker.

Good post!

Penance Sentence
12-23-2015, 12:40 AM
Edit.

Also, observe my habitually lazy English. It is this way because I spend more time speaking with foreigners than with Americans. In Psychology, persons tend to pick up little details such as this from others and incorporate them into psyche, sometimes without being aware of it. The more foreign friends I got, it dawned how pointless English can be with ridiculous grammar rules that don't make sense. Also, have dated Russian women. Look up articles in Russian language LOL They exist, but not like you'd imagine. So when you asked me about the articles, I had to actually think because they are used in strange ways.

If you look at broken English, one should ask WHY it is broken? Well, because those people retain their accustomed rules, even as they try to learn new languages.

Also, you are arguing against me the wrong way. You should not be asking rhetorical questions, but should be challenging my claims of Finnish language and Russian, and those countries in EE or NES, and why they would be not as redundant, with questions. Be should at least take upon yourself to look into the matter beforehand.

You are changing your spin of attack, because first you said English doesn't have any Romance origins (which it does), but then go on to nitpick me and try to force to give a long list of English Redundancies, when you didn't necessarily inquire into my point made about language in my first post. Method was "Shoot first, ask questions later."

Fair enough. But, the nitty gritty is something about me just doesn't sit right with you, eh? And you know it has nothing to do with any claims being made. I agree with it, actually. See, when I post these messages, I am thinking out loud, to see how it resonates with others, see what they say about it, so I can hone my work later. Yes, being on PM is like very much another job to me.

I think your subtlety is far more interesting than any dumb claim I make. I am not trying to sway people over with linguistic arguments. I feel right being wrong, actually, and I'm not actually contesting ANYTHING you have said. You are right, FYH. Don't take that as sarcasm either. I most humbly apologize if you think I was sarcastic with that.

Sure, we talk linguistics, you can call me an idiot, by implying that I don't know any other languages, hardly English, and my Broken English is the result of just no formal education. We can take a giant unfemine-esque shit on this thread, and totally sway from the intended meaning, and strawman the fuck out this sum' bitch.

Perfectly fine with me. I was having a nice discussion with Shangs (who you probably loathe just as much, if not more), and taking in some interesting ideas, and you want to change it up a bit? Sure thing, darling! I'll still find a way to tie in everything being said: grammar, broken english, eastern european girlfriends, ADHD (LOL), trolls, armchair philosophy, and Christopher Langan, and find a beautiful commonality between it all.

This is art, baby, and you are apart of my fucked up show.

Penance Sentence
12-23-2015, 02:39 AM
Answer my questions.

Well-brushed on European History? Judging by your train of thought, I see a Political Debate coming up.

Let's talk about Nazis.

FeedYourHead
12-23-2015, 06:27 PM
Uh okay wow that's one way to interpret my post I guess. I'm not sure how "you're totally right" means I'm arguing against you, or that "english doesnt really have any romance language origin" means "english doesnt have ANY romance language origins." I was excited you knew more about this than I did and therefore asked you to elaborate further. I asked you for more redundancies because I'm interested and can't think of too many and thought you could teach me. My post couldn't really have been any friendlier. Never fucking mind.

Penance Sentence
12-23-2015, 10:44 PM
I know; it's why I said good post.

That's why I should stay away with humor, it's too dry, and it doesn't translate well on the internet.