PDA

View Full Version : The Love Song

theimpaler
06-02-2017, 07:11 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6umKShwSVQA

You're welcome.

Nemoris Inferioris
06-02-2017, 07:25 PM
Wow Van Halen totally ripped off the drums from The Love Song.

:/

theimpaler
06-02-2017, 07:32 PM
LMFAO!!!!!!!!!!! best comment ever. I'm not gay, but marry me?

Mok
06-03-2017, 05:21 PM
lol, I had no idea about this. The guitar riff and drums are so similar.

theimpaler
06-03-2017, 06:10 PM
lol, I had no idea about this. The guitar riff and drums are so similar.

So similar? It's a direct rip off. That'd be like saying The Fight Song wasn't a direct rip off of Song 2 by Blur. No idea about this? Do you never enjoy good ole rock?

Mok
06-03-2017, 06:34 PM
So similar? It's a direct rip off. That'd be like saying The Fight Song wasn't a direct rip off of Song 2 by Blur. No idea about this? Do you never enjoy good ole rock?

Well yeah, direct ripoff would be a more blunt way of saying it. I do enjoy old rock, but I was never really into Van Halen, honestly.

Here's another easy one. It came out in 2004:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=icRL9f5hfec

theimpaler
06-03-2017, 06:39 PM
To each their own. I just find it ironic that Manson always demands credit when due but there's at least two tracks off HW that are direct rip offs and he gave no credit. Not to mention Dope Show was a rip off as well. Could say Nobodies was as well but that's sort of a generic drum beat, it'd be like claiming WOW was a rip off of Closure.

SatanistPriest
06-04-2017, 09:28 AM
Replicate the riffs, rythm, and drums. Add your own lyrics and polish it in the mix. here, you have a ripoff song that most people won't spot. (Except for you guys)

The Overman
06-04-2017, 11:34 AM
To each their own. I just find it ironic that Manson always demands credit when due but there's at least two tracks off HW that are direct rip offs and he gave no credit. Not to mention Dope Show was a rip off as well. Could say Nobodies was as well but that's sort of a generic drum beat, it'd be like claiming WOW was a rip off of Closure.

In fairness, he's pretty good about crediting his overt influences - Bowie, Alice Cooper, etc.

theimpaler
06-04-2017, 12:45 PM
In fairness, he's pretty good about crediting his overt influences - Bowie, Alice Cooper, etc.

But did he give credit to Van Halen or Blur for the two songs in Holy Wood?

The Overman
06-04-2017, 12:48 PM
But did he give credit to Van Halen or Blur for the two songs in Holy Wood?

Haha, of course not. For that matter, listen to "Dr. Feelgood" and "Angel With The Scabbed Wings" back to back.

Trent is pretty bad about this, too. There are quite a few NIN tracks that are reworkings of other people's music, the most infamous being "A Warm Place"/"Crystal Japan".

06-04-2017, 12:52 PM
This also reminds me of a certain holywood track.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gM7IBrszcl4

Justsomeguy
06-04-2017, 01:59 PM
In the words of Noel Gallagher, "That sounds good, I'll have that."

Pisses me off whenever people complain about nicking riffs or pieces of songs. Every band and artist has done it forever, you take and steal from your own record collection. Rock music has been around for only anywhere from 60-80 years depending on your definitions. Music would suck if every riff or rhythm ever published became off-limits to everyone else. Nothing matters other than the song sounding good, at least in my book.

Nemoris Inferioris
06-04-2017, 03:36 PM
There is only so many drum heats and riffs you can produce until it is replicated. I doubt they listen to the song and say "Let's do that." I bet it's a coincidence. But you can't be sure. That's why I don't say it's a "Direct Rip off", maybe Indirectly.

I don't think it's needed to give credit. The songs are different on their own, even if parts of it sound very similar.

theimpaler
06-05-2017, 06:23 AM
In the words of Noel Gallagher, "That sounds good, I'll have that."

Pisses me off whenever people complain about nicking riffs or pieces of songs. Every band and artist has done it forever, you take and steal from your own record collection. Rock music has been around for only anywhere from 60-80 years depending on your definitions. Music would suck if every riff or rhythm ever published became off-limits to everyone else. Nothing matters other than the song sounding good, at least in my book.

Pisses Manson off when people rip him off though. And it doesn't hurt to let his fans know where some of his music comes from. Last time he did was The Dope Show. There's another recent song that's a rip off of a previous song...I forgot which one though.

There is only so many drum heats and riffs you can produce until it is replicated. I doubt they listen to the song and say "Let's do that." I bet it's a coincidence. But you can't be sure. That's why I don't say it's a "Direct Rip off", maybe Indirectly.

I don't think it's needed to give credit. The songs are different on their own, even if parts of it sound very similar.

Uh...I'm sorry, are you dening The Love Song and The Fight Song are rip offs? Wow.

Nemoris Inferioris
06-05-2017, 02:38 PM
Indirect Rip Offs? Perhaps.

theimpaler
06-05-2017, 04:08 PM
Indirect Rip Offs? Perhaps.

That just doesn't compute in my head. And by god, do I hate your handle. Sounds like the beginning of a spell, lol.

The Empirical Guy
06-30-2017, 01:28 AM
It's so similar it's pretty obviously a rip off. Or, it's such a standard 4/4 drum beat (which can't be copyrighted) that maybe they never heard the Van Halen song in their life, and they're just the two songs out of hundreds using the same beat that made it famous. Or again, given the Industrial influence in Manson's music and Holy Wood in particular, maybe The Love Song actually is a distorted sample of that very Van Halen song, in which case it wouldn't be a rip-off, and not even illegal if they paid the royalties.

Enname
07-01-2017, 01:39 AM
That just doesn't compute in my head. And by god, do I hate your handle. Sounds like the beginning of a spell, lol.

Nemoris inferioris obliviscere!

Only harpies and suicides reside there.

Nemoris Inferioris