PDA

View Full Version : We’re from America vs Paw Paw Negro Blowtorch

Crystalarts
02-19-2019, 02:52 PM
Have a listen to paw paw negro blowtorch (by Brian eno) at 1.50 onwards. Also the ending of the song.

https://youtu.be/pfqDXGCYPiI

My suspicion is that Manson borrowed this. Brian eno has inspired so many artists and played a major part of Bowie songs (and many of ENO sounds are throughout Bowie’s work. I am certain Manson is a fan.

YoureAlreadyHere
02-19-2019, 08:00 PM
Interesting.

Nemoris Inferioris
02-21-2019, 12:13 PM
Interesting indeed. Maybe Manson suggested it to Twiggy, or Twiggy was inspired by it. Either way it does sound similar.

Norsefire
02-22-2019, 01:48 PM
Interesting find, totally hearing that similarity!

Crystalarts
02-26-2019, 12:59 AM
haha Phew!

You know that way you think you hear something but actually there is nothing to hear and its just cause you are a fan looking for something? I wasn't sure whether to post it or not so I am glad you all agree that there are strong similarities.

Listening to Brian Eno in general (this and another album in particular) I recognise so many sounds that Bowie used in a variety of songs. In the way I imagine Manson did. so it just makes sense to me.

NapalmHeart
03-06-2019, 09:46 AM
Interesting. The synth solo right before this part reminds me of the synth in WOW as well. Twiggy borrowed some cool stuff for the album lol

Crystalarts
09-12-2020, 02:33 AM
Worthwhile bringing this post up again considering Manson talks about Eno for this album...

The Empirical Guy
09-16-2020, 09:19 PM
The part at 1:50 is an incredibly common guitar technique that doesn't even require much, if any, guitar skill to play, and similar sounds have been heard in all sorts of songs. That's not to say it might not be an inspiration for WFA, but it's common and basic enough that it could be one of those things where two people just had the same idea entirely by coincidence.

Crystalarts
09-17-2020, 02:28 PM
The part at 1:50 is an incredibly common guitar technique that doesn't even require much, if any, guitar skill to play, and similar sounds have been heard in all sorts of songs. That's not to say it might not be an inspiration for WFA, but it's common and basic enough that it could be one of those things where two people just had the same idea entirely by coincidence.

Sure.. except he loves Bowie with a passion.... and Bowie Loves Eno and borrowed so much from Eno and anyone who loves Bowie is probably deep into Eno too, especially a musician like Manson... in fact there is no way Manson will not have had that Eno album on many occasions....and Manson has even come out and mentioned Eno specifically this time for this latest album.... so I would probably lean towards him taking from Eno.... just based on these many indicators that all point strongly towards it.

Now, it could be the case of course that as an Eno fan he hadn't ever heard this popular Eno song before, and he had instead heard it played by some other band or it could be that he just came up with it like so many other artists seem to that apparently use that same sound, but, I haven't heard it before, so please share some other examples where this exact sound can be heard?

The Empirical Guy
09-21-2020, 10:05 PM
Sure.. except he loves Bowie with a passion.... and Bowie Loves Eno and borrowed so much from Eno and anyone who loves Bowie is probably deep into Eno too, especially a musician like Manson... in fact there is no way Manson will not have had that Eno album on many occasions....and Manson has even come out and mentioned Eno specifically this time for this latest album.... so I would probably lean towards him taking from Eno.... just based on these many indicators that all point strongly towards it.

Now, it could be the case of course that as an Eno fan he hadn't ever heard this popular Eno song before, and he had instead heard it played by some other band or it could be that he just came up with it like so many other artists seem to that apparently use that same sound, but, I haven't heard it before, so please share some other examples where this exact sound can be heard?

Of course he probably drew from Eno, and of course he was probably familiar with the song. But given that it's a common guitar technique, I don't think they necessarily have to have much else correlation than that. A lot of this stuff can just come from the back of your brain, too. Maybe he hadn't heard that song in years, forgotten all about it, but it was still bouncing around in there enough to subconsciously influence things. People write songs without realizing how badly they've copied something all the time. Then we have to remember it was likely Twiggy, not Manson, who wrote that part.

Anyway, not that I'd suggest any of these have any particular influence on Manson (Apart from maybe Yes), here's three really obvious of how prevalent it can be without even really looking too hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKW77GS8Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYfPACiJ6ew

Crystalarts
09-21-2020, 10:44 PM
Of course he probably drew from Eno, and of course he was probably familiar with the song. But given that it's a common guitar technique, I don't think they necessarily have to have much else correlation than that. A lot of this stuff can just come from the back of your brain, too. Maybe he hadn't heard that song in years, forgotten all about it, but it was still bouncing around in there enough to subconsciously influence things. People write songs without realizing how badly they've copied something all the time. Then we have to remember it was likely Twiggy, not Manson, who wrote that part.

Anyway, not that I'd suggest any of these have any particular influence on Manson (Apart from maybe Yes), here's three really obvious of how prevalent it can be without even really looking too hard.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xJJsoquu70o

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BlKW77GS8Jg

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VYfPACiJ6ew

Ok, the songs... I hear similarities, but not the way it is in the ENO song which has the same pace and everything else. It was far more obvious to me the moment I heard it that it came from the Eno song than Muse or from a Yes song... although... that would be hilarious. Manson making a punk song using a guitar technique from a band that represents everything punk hated.... As for Yes, did you ever watch Buffalo 66? the end scene where Vincent Gallo starts shooting? the 3D panning? the Yes song... just love that so much.... (The rest of the soundtrack with Yes, King Crimson etc. is brilliant too... the tap dancing to Moonchild...

Anyway.... point is. you mentioned yourself that sometimes they take it without realising. It might be the case. I dont suggest he perhaps sat down with Twiggy and said. lets borrow this (Although Bowie did very much so) however as you say, it could have been in the back of the mind.... 90% of the decisions we make are subconscious after all... so I dont disagree with you. I just find it to be veeeeery close.