PDA

View Full Version : What makes 'you" who you are?

Shangri-LIE
08-13-2020, 05:34 AM
https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/icons/business-meeting-and-discussion/410/meeting-003-512.png

Shangri-LIE
08-15-2020, 03:42 AM
35 views and not one single response. If you're going to view a thread, drop a reply, or else there's no point in being a part of a message board.

Xenia
08-15-2020, 12:25 PM
https://cdn2.iconfinder.com/data/icons/business-meeting-and-discussion/410/meeting-003-512.png

Short answer= nature + nurture.

Dope Box
08-15-2020, 11:49 PM
I will try to quickly write some thoughts because this is interesting to me. I guess objectively we are all just stardust but what "you" are is pretty subjective, as per three heads:

1. Your own idea of yourself
I think most people believe themselves to be righteous, and doing the best they can given their circumstance. Even serial killers have been known to believe their actions to be justified. (A good example of this can be seen by reading Joseph duncan's blog (http://5nconfessions.blogspot.com/)). On the other hand, people loved by their families and communities end up killing themselves for various reasons (depression etc.). Others, people with personality disorders (like Avoidant PD, schizoid PD etc.) have a damaged connection to their own personality and have a completely different experience of their existence compared to the general population. So I think how you perceive your own self is perhaps the most important factor of what makes "you".

2. Other people's idea of you
In life you play various different roles to your family, colleagues, boss, neighbors, customers, etc. Your corporate colleagues might think you are an efficient hard worker who always meets their deadlines, so for them "you" are this efficient balanced human being. But do they know that what motivates you to perform at this level is the constant fear that is ruling your life? Do they know that you have to abuse substances to sometimes get through the anxiety of delivering the upcoming big project? On the other hand, your SO has got to know that these insecurities rule you, and that makes a big part of how they perceive you, and consequently treat you. But do they know how well you do your job and how much your colleagues respect you? There can be endless examples like this.

So different people perceive "you" differently and you play all these different roles in your life. While you are playing these roles they are as real as anything can be. But that's not really who you are, or are you? Idk.

3. Your actions
Joseph E. Duncan III is a piece of shit scumbag who should be put to the electric chair asap regardless of whatever his inner experience might have been. That is an idea of him that most people have based on his actions. Steve Jobs is an inspiration to millions because he founded Apple, or at least that is the action these people know him for. Others might think he was a sociopath because of some other of his actions they are aware of. I suppose we all in our own small scales get defined by our actions.

I think all three of these larger heads (and probably others) interact with each other and influence each other to form an abstract, ever-evolving, idea of "you". "You" is probably like a open system constantly being acted upon by other such open systems, and everything is always evolving. Probably even after death.

Shangri-LIE
08-16-2020, 06:06 AM
@Dope Box (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/member.php?u=458) - Thank you for your reply.

I'll begin with an excerpt of something i posted in my "CHAOS" thread. Feel free to read and share your thoughts whenever you have the time and if you care to.

http://www.providermodule.com/forum/showthread.php/9383-CHAOS

"Most people are p-Zombies, lacking an inner monologue. We are stories we tell ourselves and stories other people tell us about who they think they are, who they think we are and about each other. In other words. identity and what we think of as awareness, intuition and overall perception is a caricature. I'd argue that all philosophies are mere glitches and that and that our cognitive machinery is accessing internal models and those models are providing information that is wrong. The machinery is computing an elaborate story about a magical-seeming property. And there is no way for the brain to determine through introspection that the story is wrong, because introspection always accesses the same incorrect information. For the most part, this world is a lot like the SIMS where people are just planking.". Is that to say that humanity is worthless? No. Is that to say that subjectivity is irrelevant? Np. Existence, consciousness and being evolved as we know it is extraordinarily rare and is mostly "luck".

1. Your own idea of yourself - I think most people believe themselves to be righteous, and doing the best they can given their circumstance. Even serial killers have been known to believe their actions to be justified. (A good example of this can be seen by reading Joseph duncan's blog). On the other hand, people loved by their families and communities end up killing themselves for various reasons (depression etc.). Others, people with personality disorders (like Avoidant PD, schizoid PD etc.) have a damaged connection to their own personality and have a completely different experience of their existence compared to the general population. So I think how you perceive your own self is perhaps the most important factor of what makes "you".

If anything, we're too complex. As Sagan has put it, “The cosmos is within us. We are made of star-stuff. We are a way for the universe to know itself.”, and with one of his most popular statements, "The nitrogen in our DNA, the calcium in our teeth, the iron in our blood, the carbon in our apple pies were made in the interiors of collapsing stars. We are made of star stuff.". So, it's amusing to ask people what nebulae are you from? Or did you know that you literally fell from heaven? Just goofy stuff like that. Anyway, yes, putting what Sagan had to say along with Dawkins (Who is an obnoxious bitch imo - but I appreciate him for saying pantheism is "sexed up atheism") who describes humans as survival machines and lumbering robots. If so, our brains, our DNA, our overall physiology is way too complex and that can lead to a great deal of suffering, confusion, fucked up disorders, conditions and personality issues.

2. Other people's idea of you - In life you play various different roles to your family, colleagues, boss, neighbors, customers, etc. Your corporate colleagues might think you are an efficient hard worker who always meets their deadlines, so for them "you" are this efficient balanced human being. But do they know that what motivates you to perform at this level is the constant fear that is ruling your life? Do they know that you have to abuse substances to sometimes get through the anxiety of delivering the upcoming big project? On the other hand, your SO has got to know that these insecurities rule you, and that makes a big part of how they perceive you, and consequently treat you. But do they know how well you do your job and how much your colleagues respect you? There can be endless examples like this.

People create stories of other people for a multitude of reasons, even if they genuinely think that they are synced up and have a psychic and heart connection. Whenever you were talking about how colleagues interact, in my sleep deprived, delirious state, I chuckled internally while thinking, "You are a damn fine asset to this company, one of the best here, and one hell of stand up guy!". Or "Unfortunately, you're not really what we're looking for. You might want to try finding a job at GO FUCK YOURSELF! WE'RE PART OF THE COOL CORPORATION CLUB AND YOU AIN'T COOL!" - lol :P - But yeah, I follow what you're saying.

3.) Your actions - Joseph E. Duncan III is a piece of shit scumbag who should be put to the electric chair asap regardless of whatever his inner experience might have been. That is an idea of him that most people have based on his actions. Steve Jobs is an inspiration to millions because he founded Apple, or at least that is the action these people know him for. Others might think he was a sociopath because of some other of his actions they are aware of. I suppose we all in our own small scales get defined by our actions.

Speaking of pieces of shit, Did you know that Dzhokhar Tsarnaev, one of the Boston Bomber's, death sentence was overturned? I recently watched "Patriot's Day" and the reenactment of the final battle between the bomber's and the authorities was both sad and epic. If it had been televised, I would have both been angry but also laughing like a child while watching Tamerlan Tsarnaev get riddled with bullets and then ran over by a fucking cop car. I really would have watched that. There has to be real hone cell phone video of that event out there somewhere. Tanerlan's wife, "Katie" Russell, a basic white girl who converted to Islam and tried to convert her other friends at a Starbucks (Not kidding) was somehow never charged and still has custody of their child. In 2016, a family lawyer released the following statement on behalf of both her and her family - "The injuries and loss of life – to people who came to celebrate a race and a holiday – has caused profound distress and sorrow to Katie and her family. The reports of involvement by her husband and brother-in-law came as an absolute shock to them all. She has spent a lot of time crying. As far as I know, Katie wasn’t aware of what he was up to. She stopped seeing a lot of her friends and cut them off.She became very withdrawn and quiet. That took away a lot of what we knew of her.” - Oh, fuck off little girl! I hope she gets shot in her head, but not a kill shot nor put into a comatose vegetative state by the blast. I'd hope she'd recover only long enough to be smothered with a pillow in her hospital bed while recovering. In the meantime, there are people who are languishing in jail with excessive sentences for first time minor offenses. That and people who are actually innocent, but "thanks" to overzealous cops, prosecutors, judges, made worse by a lack of money and competent representation, are in prison hoping that all of the junk science, if not fucked up in a lab science, forensics run by some rushed autistic, "lost evidence", or evidence that is deemed inadmissible for whatever reason might be able to be rediscovered and/or re-run in order to free them if they can prove they were railroaded. There are even people who have had their sentences overturned, totally exonerated, who are still in prison due to fucking clerical errors for Christ's sake.

At the same time, I am hardly ever one to say "What is this world coming to?!" or "Who would DO such a thing?!". Nothing surprises or shocks me. Of course I feel bad for people who are victimized, but I don't see it as some sort of societal collapse or even anything abnormal whenever someone or a group of people do something incredibly cruel or heinous. I also don't only focus on my surroundings and what occurs in the world as full of lunatics and what people call monsters. I see the beauty and harmony where it exists as well.

Marsmind
08-16-2020, 10:48 AM
https://farm4.staticflickr.com/3163/3006424894_957c44d66d_b.jpg

mr.svperstar13
08-18-2020, 06:19 AM
I like turtles

Shangri-LIE
08-20-2020, 03:55 AM
I like turtles

Ahaha

mr.svperstar13
08-20-2020, 04:52 AM
Ahaha

I had a long, too truthful post typed out originally but I deleted it cause it was too embarrassing after sobering up X_X

Shangri-LIE
08-20-2020, 04:53 AM
I had a long, too truthful post typed out originally but I deleted it cause it was too embarrassing after sobering up X_X

Meh. Fuck it. Post it anyway. No one cares or pays attention to these sub forums anyway.

S.D.
08-23-2020, 05:15 PM
A few years ago, when I finally met Norsefire (http://www.providermodule.com/forum/member.php?u=3) in person, we were taking the train through London and I remember he said to me; "Most people make up a personality to use online, but you're exactly the same in real life as you are on the Internet!".

So I guess honesty, humility, and being a total nob make me who I am.

iggy
08-24-2020, 03:44 AM
The three Ds my dude:
Drugs
Dick
A family history of Dementia

hugeur
09-25-2020, 04:50 AM
I second the motion. hehe. yep i agree - nature + nurture.