Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image

View Poll Results: Which is your favourite NIN album?

Voters
84. You may not vote on this poll
  • Pretty Hate Machine

9 10.71%
  • Broken/Fixed (EP)

8 9.52%
  • The Downward Spiral

28 33.33%
  • The Fragile

30 35.71%
  • With Teeth

4 4.76%
  • Year Zero

0 0%
  • Ghosts I-IV

2 2.38%
  • The Slip

1 1.19%
  • Hesitation Marks

2 2.38%
  • Bad Witch

0 0%
Page 81 of 89 FirstFirst ... 3171777879808182838485 ... LastLast

Thread: Nine Inch Nails

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

The confusion is seducing me
    Warm, flowing, wide his eyes
    Summer hypnotize they see inside of me
    Hot swollen skin, want me take me, perfect embrace
    Black and bloody, rotten and perfect

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye

That's ridiculous, Trent singing the verses poorly but live is still preferable to using a fucking tape recorder. Or maybe he can perform it and the tape recorder is just an ~aesthetic~ which is even dumber. Either way I'm mad.

Personally, I'm TOTALLY down with a legit-mp3-recorder or w/e version being "sung" into the mic. It's still something and actually pretty cool and creative, and it certainly still adds a weird, sonic "otherness" to the track, assuming it's not just a visual prop for a pre-recorded track.

So, with all that in mind, I suppose it's cool. Albeit, mostly for the first few rows alone. And/or the home audience viewing a stream or w/e online. If I were up front and caught him pulling that shit I'd be TOTALLY PSYCHED about it.

But for everyone else, yeah...it kinda sucks.

OR, if it IS true as presented, I'd kinda hope they'd have done more with it. Pull the playback a bit further from the mic here-and-there, use an omnidirectional mic and wave the sound-source around it like he did back in '08, etc. Just a thought. I know it's only a rehearsal.

In related news, it's not too hard to just synch a karaoke-style lyrics-crawl to a click-track or w/e for any given song.

Which ALSO sucks in its own way but still. Just sayin'.

>__>

speed bump mannequin Golden Eel's Avatar

I was at the first show on the rail when that song debuted but I was TOTALLY PSYCHED about everything happening at that point. It's not my favorite effect ever, but Trent has done spoken word bits on stage before, as well as read lyrics if he really needed to. So with that in mind combined with Trent's reputation as an extreme perfectionist, it's clear that he did it for a specific reason beyond laziness or difficulty. If it was just the inability to remember the lyrics, they just wouldn't do the song imo.

I really, really love that song so I'm just glad they're doing it. Also of note is that he's playing a different take of the recording than what's on the studio version. Personally, I think it's as fitting on that song as any. There's something to be said about a guy on stage holding a tape recording of himself speaking into a microphone during a song that begins, "I've slipped out of time again, leaving all of you behind." Not many more succinct ways to express being in a place while not really being there. Both of the EPs are about feeling like you're trapped in an in-between world unable to really pull yourself back to reality, so I think the idea of Trent playing his own disembodied voice expressing these things is pretty neat.

With that being said, it's nothing groundbreaking or super impressive so I won't be defending it until my dying breath or anything.

and with just one faint glance back into the sea
    the mollusk lingers with its wandering eye

We've all heard his myriad of variations for various lyrics in the live format.

The formerly-pre-recorded outro for "Closer" leaps to mind.

As does Atlantic City '09, when he acknowledged fans calling out his first few, furtive attempts to actually SING IT, lol.

Personally, I'd rather have the PERFORMED-LIVE version. That being said, unless he intends to play club shows or else play it up a bit, I think what he's doing in that rehearsal footage is a misstep.

:-\

Whoopsie, I meant 2008 not 2009:

And, yassss...my FAVORITE part is him STILL fucking it up @2:53, lolololomg.

https://youtu.be/E9oUH2ekWEQ?t=2m53s

XD XD XD

Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

6 songs makes an LP now? The way Trent's been going, I wouldn't be surprised if "Shit Mirror" = an intro, followed by 4 actual songs, and "Over and Out" being some extended 30-minute version of "The Background World".

Will be interesting to see how this ends up playing out, though, because if it's not the above, then I'm imagining every track being at least 10 minutes long, and some epic electro-prog-rock shit awaits. Definitely intrigued.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Consider me intrigued also, I really like that artwork, and extended track lengths with less hooks might be a good overall direction for a NIN release. I know it's not something new, but just saying "Here's a black-and-white slab of it for an hour, no frills or bullshit sounds like a good approach for 2018.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...