Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The Number 15

Default Re: The Number 15

Haha! Damn I'm messed up. That is what you get after studying non-stop for a week in a row.

From the Dope Show music video

8+4+3=15

for me, this new song "15" has finally settled what the 15 was always about. its mansons birthday, and more specifically refers to Manson himself. so from the begining, Manson has been dropping hints that its all about him. everything he does includes 15 and that refers to him himself. its not about his bass player gidget, or gidgets replacement twiggy or twiggys replacement timmy or tims replacement whatshisname, its all about Manson.
    its not enough to have his name on the credits, only his photo on the cover, all clues must point to him. there is no band. there are no fans. there is nothing but manson and all roads lead back to him. everyone else is replacable. everyone in the band is temporary, even the fansites and the fans can be replaced too.

its all 15!

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerx
    Quote Originally Posted by archdandydotcom
    for me, this new song "15" has finally settled what the 15 was always about. its mansons birthday, and more specifically refers to Manson himself. so from the begining, Manson has been dropping hints that its all about him. everything he does includes 15 and that refers to him himself. its not about his bass player gidget, or gidgets replacement twiggy or twiggys replacement timmy or tims replacement whatshisname, its all about Manson.
    its not enough to have his name on the credits, only his photo on the cover, all clues must point to him. there is no band. there are no fans. there is nothing but manson and all roads lead back to him. everyone else is replacable. everyone in the band is temporary, even the fansites and the fans can be replaced too.

its all 15!

and it just so happens to be your 15th post :)
    *gasp!* Could this be from Manson himself?!

/blatant sarcasm.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Thank you for your thoughts Arch, I really admired that post.

It can be looked at in terms of existentialism. The number 15, though embroiled in significance and coincidence, is still an item of Manson's construct. It is 15 because he says it is, the number is one we seek because he has instructed us to do so. I think that he is aware that this is very much how religion works, and whilst he may be creating a "Dogma" of sorts, the concept of this tutorship is showing us that whilst the art and music may be solely centered around Marilyn Manson, he is still holding up a mirror for us to see ourselves properly. His flaws are our flaws, his highs are our highs, and the same goes for the lows.

I was considering this in some depth recently, after instigating the thoughts about Celebritarianism. The phrase that adorns the inner spine in Portrait of an American Family reads "I Am You", which I believe is still relevant. Aren't we all fuck ups, don't we all make stupid mistakes? Yes, we do. We've all got our vices, our inconsistencies, our failures, and some of them might well be as negative or damaging as the things that people discuss in relation to Marilyn Manson's life. The difference being, of course, that we are not all on camera in public and cannot make things progress like a film (There is no "Cut, Cut, Cut"). I mean, if I drink alcohol every day, which I do, am I an alcoholic? No, I am not, I just have my familiar vices. If a photograph shows me looking tired, am I ugly? I don't like to think so, and I think this mirroring of our "selves" is the predominant part of Marilyn Manson's ethos. The High End of Low is us* at our most decadent, our most personally vulnerable, compounded in lyrics like "I'll love you, if you let me". The human nature of this is haunting, but true, and 15 is a product of that, a symbolism invented to try and create order around chaos.

If events out of one's control (Manson's greatest fear) can be rationalised or made easier to handle by the association of a symbol or a structure, then surely this is beneficial. In addition to saying "I Am You", Manson is also finding a way to be himself, and see through that mirror, much like "Herr Doktor" on the inner sleeve of The Golden Age of Grotesque. I find it interesting that in relation to my book end notion about that album, both it and The High End of Low have this focus on the front of the face, posing for the camera or being observed by either the self or the world, and shrouding of the body.

*[We're From America: The US?: Manson says The High End of Low is a perpetual state of being that he is in... Are we not all United States?]

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Quote Originally Posted by tuckerx

and it just so happens to be your 15th post :)

im scared now, someone call me an exorcist and i mean it this time!

and as for S.D.'s post, you bring up alot of valid points.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Apparently, Miss Stoya's birthday is the 15th of June. June being the sixth month of the year means you can divide the numbers one and five from it. That essentially means you have 1 5 and 15. Also, I think I have read some of these details elsewhere, but I can't recall who authored them, so apologies for any repetition. From the I Don't Like The Drugs (But The Drugs Like Me) video:-

On the football jersey, the numbers 8 and 7, which when added, equals 15.

Manson features on "Channel 15"

And from The Dope Show video:-

Sensitivity is set at 15, and from what I can make out, the letters "mm" (very likely for Millimeters) are underneath the dial. Manson is currently signing his online messages as MM15.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

S.D., thanks for the images to illustrate the '15's. I'll see if I got some to share. And I liked your view, I would have never thought it at the 1st listening of THEOL, but the album starts to make more and more sense to me. The 1st listening I was completly lost, I didn't find any structure at all..

I think it's really interesting to see how personal the meaning of 15 is to MM. I remember since the release of Mechanical Animals, there has been a discussion what the 15 really meant, and there has been a 'hunt for 15' ever since. I always looked at the reference to his birthday as 'one of the many interpretations'. And I don't think there has ever been such a clear indication this was the most important of all till the release of THEOL/track 15.

EDIT: don't know if it was mentioned, but it's not only the 1/5 in his birthdate, but also the year '69 (6+9=15). And don't forget the 15 in 'Mar1lyn Man5on' on the We're from America single cover (I don't think it was ever used in artwork other then the MA artwork).
    NEW WEBSITE LAYOUT UPLOADED 22/09/2013:

i think Manson must of just read this thread because he has changed his top friends from 15 to 18.

Stoya's Birthday numerology numbers are 6-6-6.I am sure that Manson appreciates that.