Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: The Number 15

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy
    I'd never seen this before but had wondered over the fact that the first three letters of the bottom row spell out "EVE"... I thought it was interesting as in all the "Adam" references in Manson's work there are very few for his female counterpart.
    I did a little bit of looking around and have found what the box is. If you look inside the Mechanical Animals booklet, beneath the lyrics for The Last Day On Earth, you will see a diagram of a weekly pill organiser*, given to patients who are on a continued prescription of medicine. Each day of the week is listed in order on the seven compartments, with the requisite pills inside each one. The one in the booklet is for people who only need a daily amount, just the once. However, for people with something like diabetes, you have to take several doses at different times of the day. They are mostly divided into MORNING/NOON/EVENING/BEDTIME. For some reason (I have no idea why) you can also get ones that list the times as MORNING/NOON/BEDTIME/EVENING, which is demonstrated in the image I found below:-

It seems strange that there would be a listing for bedtime before the evening, no? But regardless, that is the listing on the box featured in Manson's artwork, [it says BE... --- BED] above, so the "EVE", is just that, EVE. It likely goes on to read EVENING, as the letters are across each compartment, but it's hard to tell. Incidentally, I quite like the fact that one of the next things Manson would record was a cover of The Doors Five To One, which in addition to having the aforementioned one and five in the title, also features the line "Shadows of the evening, crawl across the years", which is the only example I can think of where Manson sings the word. It's likely unrelated, of course, but a nice observation nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by --
    Nice find S.D.!
    Thank you, I'm glad you enjoyed it.

* - "It is finished when Seven are One" - Weekly doses.

DON'T LET THEM KNOW HOW FAR YOU GO...

Original AIDS provider.

Default Re: The Number 15

Well there you go. Actually a little disappointed that it's something so simple and not a more obscure Adam/ Eve reference, but the "when seven are one" that you pointed out it nice.

HOWEVER

I'm grasping at straws here, but I'll continue. In the picture of the pillbox you mentioned below The Last Day On Earth, if I'm counting correctly (and not mis-interpreting the drawing) I count 6 pills in the first compartment, 5 in the next, then 4, then 3... presumably this follows in the closed sections with 2, 1 and the final one being empty. If so this would have all sorts of relations we'd no doubt be familiar with: "never get to seven" "God is a number you cannot count to" and, after popping all those pills, how about "we all lay down" from Count to Six and Die. Just lay back and feel the effects... some do it fast, and some do it better in smaller amounts.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy
    I'm grasping at straws here, but I'll continue. In the picture of the pillbox you mentioned below The Last Day On Earth, if I'm counting correctly (and not mis-interpreting the drawing) I count 6 pills in the first compartment, 5 in the next, then 4, then 3... presumably this follows in the closed sections with 2, 1 and the final one being empty. If so this would have all sorts of relations we'd no doubt be familiar with: "never get to seven" "God is a number you cannot count to" and, after popping all those pills, how about "we all lay down" from Count to Six and Die. Just lay back and feel the effects... some do it fast, and some do it better in smaller amounts.
    Now this, my friend, is fucking brilliant, I commend you. Indeed, I'm looking at the booklet now and it certainly does count down 6, 5, 4, 3... "et cetera", presumably with the final compartment empty. This obviously can mirror the chambers of a gun, and is certainly relative to the lyrics for Count To Six And Die, excellent.

Also (and this is really fucking interesting...), consider the tracklisting for both Mechanical Animals and Holy Wood; The sixth and seventh tracks on both albums seem to document the process of dying, and then being dead:-

Mechanical Animals: The Speed of Pain --- Posthuman
    Holy Wood: President Dead --- In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death

So it can be viewed as the "Speed of Pain" - Death, or the speed of a bullet - leads to being "Posthuman", and viewed as such for Celebritarian needs, posthumously, and the "President" dies, also via the Speed of Pain, the bullet, and enters the "Shadow of the Valley of Death", in Holy Wood, also for Celebritarian needs...

I quite like the continual reference to doses as well, which links back even to Portrait of an American Family, and May Cause Discoloration Of The Urine Or Feces. Now, lastly, and perhaps most shockingly, I saw something else today...

That is from the Portrait Of An American Family booklet, and it shows all the collections of pills that feature next to song lyrics. The first is next to Misery Machine, the second is Cake And Sodomy, and the last two sets are either side of Dope Hat. I made sure to check the amount twice, and even had someone else stand and verify with me. Altogether, there are 15 pills... Or should I say, 15 P1LL5?

Thank you also to -< me >- for the scans, and for the five or so people I've made wait all morning for this!

Original AIDS provider.

Worth the wait, S.D. Glad I could make a useful contribution :D I do indeed wonder if things like the 15 pills are a pure coincidence, or if he's been planting this sort of thing all along and only began drawing our attention to it circa MA.

Can I point out as well, you mentioned the correlation between tracks 6 and 7. 6 + 7 = 13, which is a prevalent number on Holy Wood and, of course, the Death card in a Tarot deck.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Yes, it's also the number for M in the alphabet, which is relative of course to Manson's initials and the Fritz Lang, Celebritarian era imagery. Lang has been an influence for a long time actually, since before that era, and especially on Mechanical Animals. Metropolis is a prime example of this. A friend once pointed out the significance of the female robot and electronic rings in the film, and their relevance to those five similar rings on the cover of Mechanical Animals, not to mention the pronounced breasts, yet ambiguous sexuality of their respective protagonists.

The robot is also called Maschinenmensch, which besides having two pronounced 'M's in the name, also has 15 letters to it...

Original AIDS provider.

Well I guess it never ends. It seems whenever you find something it throws up dozens of more meanings. I'm not really familiar with Metropolis but I'll look into it and read up on some more Lang. I guess that's one more thing on my to read/ watch list.

10050 Cielo Drive
    19 6+9

The original home at 10050 Cielo Drive in Benedict Canyon, Los Angeles, California is infamous for being the scene of one of the Manson "family" murders.
    The final resident of the original house was the musician Trent Reznor of Nine Inch Nails. Reznor moved into the house in the early 1990s and had a recording studio built inside. This studio, dubbed Pig (sometimes called Le Pig) in a reference to the fact that one of the murderers had written "Pig" in Tate's blood on the front door of the house during the murders, was the site of recording sessions for Nine Inch Nails' 1992 EP Broken and 1994 album The Downward Spiral as well as Marilyn Manson's 1994 Reznor-produced debut album Portrait of an American Family. Reznor moved out of the house in December 1993, later explaining that "there was too much history in that house for me to handle."[3] He insists that he did not know that the address was site of the Manson murders when he bought the place.

And Finally,

On August 9, 1969, the home became the scene of the murders of Tate, Wojciech Frykowski, Abigail Folger, Jay Sebring and Steven Parent at the hands of the Charles Manson "Family". William Garretson,

Simple Pythagorean Numerology Reveals 1 5 as the final numbers of the date of the Murders of 9th August 1969, Before being reduced to 6.

9 + 8 (Aug) =17 (1+7) = 8 + 1 = 9 +9 +18 (1+8) = 9 + 6= 15 (1+5)= 6 + 9 = 1 5

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/10050_Cielo_Drive

New spreadeagle t-shirt has 1 & 5 inside the two big Ms on the back, I was thinking the layout makes it looks like it was the 15th anniversary tour or something.

And then I realised it's 15 years since 1994 & the release of Portrait... wooo

Stupid Teenage Girl

^It's the same as on the back of the We're From America single, correct...?

Great observations here guys, by the way! S.D., you have never failed to amaze me, and The Empirical Guy, what a wonderful find!

Sorry to be untr00 but I have no idea what the WFA single looks like, I need to get down the exchange and rape them out of their "MA" section