Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 65 FirstFirst 123456781454 ... LastLast

Thread: What Are You Reading?

Default Re: What book(s) are you currently reading?

I'm reading 'Memnoch' by Anne Rice. I recently finished 'The Vampire Lestat' (again) - but I can't seem to find a copy of 'The Queen Of The Damned' anywhere. Bloody thing,

I am currently reading Longitude by Dava Sobel. I've had it for ages but never got round to reading it before. I not long ago finished reading 'They Have Their Exits' by Airey Neaves, which is a biography of his life during and shortly after the war. It was very interesting.

I literally have 3 big piles of books to get through, can't stop myself buying them.

I'm currently reading My Early Life by Winston Churchill and Harry Potter for the 500th time.
    A lie gets halfway around the world before the truth has a chance to get its pants on.
    Winston Churchill

Chuck Palahniuk (in general) and to be more precise: Invisible Monsters
    It moved me deeply and was the entry point for his other works which are (nearly) all excellent.

John Milton: Paradise Lost
    A wonderful tale about humanity (and not about Satan) which is often cited by many artists (especially Manson)

Dante Alighieri: La Divina Comedia
    Like Paradise Lost this delivers basic knowledge about many references made art history (including Manson). Beside that you have the bonus of reading one of the most beautiful prose ever written.

Friedrich Nietzsche: (in general) and to be more precise: Jenseits von Gut und Böse
    Everyone thinks he knows Nietzsche, few have really read him and even fewer can claim to understand even half of his writings. You should start with Der Antichrist or Also sprach Zarathustra but my favourite is Jenseits von Gut und Böse. The reasons are too complex too state in one or two sentences. Feel free to ask in social media though :)

H.P. Lovecraft (in general) and to be more precise: The Call of Cthulhu (most will know this) but please also check out his non-horror piece The Dream-Quest of Unknown Kadath

Plain and simple the granddaddy of modern horror. Beside that he was a xenophob (in the literal sense of the word) but also wrote a dream cycle of unbelievable beauty.

Black Metal Ist Krieg Lord Hypnos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Michael

Dante Alighieri: La Divina Comedia
    Like Paradise Lost this delivers basic knowledge about many references made art history (including Manson). Beside that you have the bonus of reading one of the most beautiful prose ever written.
    Yes, this trilogy is probably the best books I've ever read. I love the John Ciardi translation
    "The Yesterdays are hailed with open arms.... with open arms..."

I'm currently reading "For Whom The Bell Tolls" By Hemingway and "Women" By Bukowski.

Quote Originally Posted by rararoxsox
    Motley Crue - the dirt: Confessions of the World's Most Notorious Rock Band

This is crazy that you just finished this book (cowritten by Neil Strauss) because I came here to post that I had just finished his book, THE GAME: Penetrating the Secret Society of Pick Up Artists (remember: Strauss cowrote THE LONG HARD ROAD OUT OF HELL)

http://www.amazon.com/Game-Penetrating- ... 462&sr=8-4

This was a fascinating read. As a woman I am repulsed by what I read and at the same time, I couldn't stop reading until it was done. SPOILER: The conclusion Strauss reaches is that the techniques that can be used to pick a woman up are a completely different skill from maintaining a relationship with a woman. Duh.

Today I bought Dissecting Marilyn Manson by Gavin Baddeley. I'm not that far in yet but it's already a fascinating read, and makes me wish I was born 5 years earlier.

Quote Originally Posted by Ich_bin_du
    Good choice, I really like that book! :D
    you really know that one? :D
    didn't expect that, to be honest.^^

I've just restarted 1984, an excellent book.