Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 68 of 68 FirstFirst ... 18586465666768

Thread: What Are You Reading?

American Gods by Neil Gaiman

No Exit and other plays - Jean-Paul Sartre. Just started.
    The last book I read was a biography of Sir Francis Younghusband by Patrick French. Pretty interesting fellow, crazy transformation from being a prudish Victorian imperialist to a believer in free love, alien supreme beings and mysticism.
    Looking at the best college paper writing service at essay-company.com is exactly what you need because our reviews will help you to find a cheap and reliable writing service that will not let you down!

Prince Lestat and the Realms of Atlantis. Novel by Anne Rice

Esalen: America and the Religion of No Religion by Jeffrey J. Kripal

Jeffrey Kripal here recounts the spectacular history of Esalen, the institute that has long been a world leader in alternative and experiential education and stands today at the center of the human potential movement. Forged in the literary and mythical leanings of the Beat Generation, inspired in the lecture halls of Stanford by radical scholars of comparative religion, the institute was the remarkable brainchild of Michael Murphy and Richard Price.

Alain Mabanckou, Verre cassť (Broken Glass).

Not new, but the translation is new. Mabanckou is one of the foremost writers of diaspora from the Democratic Republic of Congo/France, or something. He is at UCLA. Broken Glass is the main narrator of the comings of going of a particular bar (Credit Gone West) run by his friend Stubborn Snail who gives him the notebook. It is a .... social critique of the relationship of the West to Africa; a scatalogical, ribald, viciously dark comedy, and a rather insightful meditation on alcoholism. Reminds me in tone (at least in the English) of The 'Green Cockatoo' from Arnold Schnitzler, sort of, with less French Revolution, fewer paragraphs and 100 % more stream of consciousness.

Now I have made sure no one will read it this book (they should), I also read:

The Unwritten - comic series by Mike Carey, Peter Gross and Vince Locke.

Not sold on this. I get it is trying to do intertexutal meta on par with League of Extraordinary Gentlemen, but yeh. No. It plays with a Christopher Robin/Harry Potter sort of thing, and then tries to magic-up Umberto Eco's conspiracy theory from Foucault's Pendulum, which all in all leaves me rather angry and wishing it was a lot cleverer than it is. I mean, even Harry Potter did it better and if you can't play off the source material more successfully .... meh. The best part is the 'horror party' that goes horribly wrong.

Daphne du Maurier - Rebecca

I've seen the Hitchcock film, but never read any of du Maurier's works. I cannot believe that this was sold as a love story for so many years - the story is horrible and extraordinarily clever. I mean, sure, there is a great deal of swooping romanticism and gushing love but also the main narrator remains entirely nameless, and is essentially rendered into a blank tool and her worst nightmare. Anyway, there is something even more terrifying and suffocating than in the film which is admirable. Also makes me realise why I was so annoyed by Sarah Water's The Little Stranger, which is a poorer shadow of this. Well, that and her writing somehow strikes me wrong anyway.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.