Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 9 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: The High End Of Low

Stupid Teenage Girl

Quote Originally Posted by S.D.
    http://i403.photobucket.com/albums/pp112/providermodule/Analysis/EtCetera.jpg

"I'm not an artist I'm a fucking work of art"
    I remember this, too...was that the title Twiggy posted it under...?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Hate Sells
    I remember this, too...was that the title Twiggy posted it under...?
    No, I just thought it worked well.

Here is something that people might be interested in. Compare the descending guitar parts for Wight Spider with the following:-

The music used for this scene from the film Heat is a reworking of the Joy Division song New Dawn Fades. I'm aware that Marilyn Manson is a fan of the band, and that this version is recorded by Moby. Brian Eno also worked on the soundtrack for this film, which I think is nice, as both Roxy Music and by default, Eno have been influences on Manson's work in the past. This version, though without words, musically bears a lot of resemblance to Wight Spider I feel, and I think Manson would be aware of both the film and the piece of music. There is even a drum beat that is very much the same in both songs, if you listen at around 1:55 (yes, I know, it's a coincidence!) into the clip, you'll hear the same speed drum part that introduces Wight Spider.

Anyway, although not included, these are the original lyrics to the Joy Division version:-

"A change of speed, a change of style.
    A change of scene, with no regrets,
    A chance to watch, admire the distance,
    Still occupied, though you forget.
    Different colours, different shades,
    Over each mistakes were made.
    I took the blame.
    Directionless so plain to see,
    A loaded gun won't set you free.
    So you say.

We'll share a drink and step outside,
    An angry voice and one who cried,
    we'll give you everything and more,
    The strains too much, can't take much more.
    Oh, I've walked on water, run through fire,
    Can't seem to feel it anymore.
    It was me, waiting for me,
    Hoping for something more,
    Me, seeing me this time, hoping for something else."

These could quite easily be lyrics from The High End Of Low, most obviously with a line referring to running (to the edge of the world?) "through fire". Not only that, but the film, of course, is called Heat... I'd be interested to read any thoughts on this, and if the song has the same resemblance for anyone else.

Also, I've been thinking about some of the samples and noises that feature on the record, I can't put a finger on all of them. What is the sound at the start of We're From America, that features at the official website on loop? It seems to me to be like a death knell of some kind, monotonous and grim. There is also the sound at the end of Pretty As A Swastika that resembles a periscope for submarines.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Original AIDS provider.

Shit, I never even knew Twiggy had an "et cetera" tattoo as well.

compare 'I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell (Alternative Version)' with 'I Put A Spell On You' and i bet you'll notice something.
    the part i mean beginns at 00:17.

IPASOY just came to my mind when i listened to the alternative version the first time. the similarity is unbelievable.

This is not that relevant, oh well.

You all must know of Rocky Horror Picture Show. These lips certainly are familiar for the ones who attended the first legs of Rape of the World tour.

Anyway, there's a musical segue, when Rocky wakes up / is born, named The Sword of Damocles in which he sings

My high is low
    I'm dressed up with no place to go
    And all I know is I'm at the start
    of a pretty big downer
    The song's here if you're interested, sorry I couldn't find a clip from the movie itself.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Maniac Master
    compare 'I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell (Alternative Version)' with 'I Put A Spell On You' and i bet you'll notice something.
    the part i mean beginns at 00:17.
    That is really close, thank you for the observation. I've only just tried out some of these alternate versions. The intention seems literally to have 'High' and 'Low' identities to the album.

Quote Originally Posted by HerrDoKtor
    A musical segue, when Rocky wakes up / is born, named The Sword of Damocles in which he sings

My high is low
    I did some brief reading, as I wasn't that familiar with this Greek myth, and the story of Damocles does have the named sword hanging above his head, as the song's lyrics state. Interestingly, he swaps places with the king to enjoy being treated like royalty, and looks above and notices the sword. It could be said he had "to look up just to see hell". Read more if you like:-

http://www.inspirationalstories.com/0/2.html

The Rocky Horror song can be watched here:-

http://www.myvideo.de/watch/3843738/Roc ... f_Damocles

Fantastic notes everyone, thank you.
    the LORD god had made
    "

no problem, just thought i should mention.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

There is some interesting material in those articles for certain, though I do find it a little odd that all of the content is credited to NK, because there is a rather large portion of the material there that was originally discovered and featured in a selection of threads originally penned at MansonUSA. That isn't meant to sound like a barbed comment, because it isn't, I'm just concerned that a lot of the time and effort put in by various parties in the months leading up to the release of The High End Of Low might be being overlooked to some degree. Extensive reading, nonetheless.

Here's an interesting idea, consider the front cover of The High End of Low, and the "halo" that Manson has around his head. To some degree, the halo also looks like a collection of veins ("soaked and stained red" / "you're not crying this is blood all over me"), which are leading to the brain, or perhaps, the "wounded head". In this sense, the "hole is where the heart is". This is especially true if one considers the relationship between Kennedy and Christ, in that Kennedy's halo was a bullet.

That is one of the things I see looking at the album cover, veins, which makes some sense to me, I'm interested if anyone else shares these thoughts?
    the LORD god had made
    "

Default Unveiling Unfolding Before Our Eyes

Kurosawa's HIGH AND LOW or Heaven And Hell has been a notable influence, It is the source of inspiration for the Font Used On The Album Cover... However The Intricate Details That Manson has Drawn Upon In the actual construction of the album itself is rather remarkable...

I think everyone that spent the Extra Money to Purchase the Deluxe Edition and had the chance to compare it to the standard version can attest to the absolute lack of quality in the printing of the book in the deluxe version and I recall reports of terrible sound quality from some when playing the record at heavy listening volume, In my opinion, This Tactic Was Used By Manson to Prove a Point A higher Price Does not Guarantee Higher Quality, And that certain products, carry a higher value because of a Brand Name, Dolce and Gabbana, Louis Vuitton, Et Al... Marilyn Man$on Has literally become a Brand Name that the Record Industry Capitalizes Upon, They Know that it is automatically going to sell a set number amount as soon as the record hits the shelf, Because he has attained a certain status where all that he touches turns to Gold, from the Midas Touch of his 'Celebrity Status' And They don't give a fuck about the Philosophy or theories he presents, But One has to Fund a Revolution somehow, right? Manson Quite Literally created a defective version of the album, With a dull worn out booklet and 6 bonus tracks that seemingly use an open mic technique to capture all the sounds of the songs, And stamped Deluxe Edition on it, To Showcase exactly what I have stated above. LOWER QUALITY FOR A HIGHER PRICE- The Exact Fascist Motto That Conglomerati Corporations Thrive Upon. The Opening scene of Kurosawa's High and Low that showcases the exact same situation

The scene takes place in the Main Character, Gondo's Home that Is Perched High Upon the Hill, For Our Sake... Let's Call it "Holywood" Overlooking the impoverished City below,
    Let's Consider this for the triptych's sake "Death Valley. Now Gondo, Or Our Omega is quite a noble man, unswayed by corporate greed, he is one of the top men of a reputable Women's Shoe Company. They Have established a name for themselves on the Market as one of the top designer brands of the time, His colleagues have devised a rather 'ingenius' albeit dishonorable deed by creating a cheaply fashioned line of shoes that are to be sold at a higher price, sacrificing quality which ensures that the consumer will have to buy a new pair more sooner than later, Gondo is absolutely appalled by this... The heel shreds like paper as He takes one of the shoes and begins tearing it apart with his bare hands, to showcase his apparent disgust in the idea of selling a terrible product to his loyal consumers and decides that he wishes to use the money he has put back to purchase more shares in the company, in order to ensure that his legacy lives on as a reputable brand with high standards, and then the rest of the plot begins to unfold...
    With Takeguchi the kidnapper as ADAM, In the Shadow of the Valley of Death looking up wishing to one day become "Something Beautiful And Something Free" as -<me>- put it "Takeguchi quite literally Looks upfrom the valley every day Just to see Hell"
    What One Man's Heaven, is another Man's Hell thus as the title of High and Low is commonly known as Heaven and Hell.

Manson has quite literally showcased the concepts he spoke of in Mechanical Animals in THEOL.... The common knowledge of the revolution of the Triptych, Being marketed and sold as just another by-product of insatiable means of Celebritarian Needs... It is pressed, packaged, and Sealed. To be delivered to the hands of the masses only to be swallowed and spit out again. Manson Says it best regarding Pretty as A Swastika Being Changed to Pretty as a $... The Revolution (which the Nazi symbol literally is...) is packaged as a $... The Revolution has become everything it stands against and thus it must Destroy itself, "Take You Down, Down From The Inside" But Don't let the concept of destroying what you've become to escape what you hated being as a negative aspect.
    You become the contradiction in order to destroy it, We've Known that for what 10-12 years? It paves the path for a new version of the self to take hold.

I Urge Everyone To See the Big Picture for What it Is... Think of the Actual meaning of the Phrase ASTONISHING PANORAMA OF THE END TIMES, It is an amazing Large scale frame that is more grandeur than ever imagined previously, Why Do You Think Manson Has Implimented the Use Of Behind the Scenes Equipment in his Show? He is attempting to show exactly what we already known through lyrics like "the screen is us and we're tv" We are the Nobodies, The Cast Aways, We are the Infants that the world attempted to destroy, though we have Survived abortion ushering in a New Age of Enlightenment The New Aeon of Horus.

WE are LITERALLY, Every single one of You Are ALL STARS NOW, In The DOPEST SHOW ever Conceived.....

The recess bell does not toll for anyone we have dismantled it, Sleep now you were not the spectators you were part of the SPECTACLE

(the show, and spectacles in the sense of FRAMES, Both Film Frames and Frames of HEART SHAPED GLASSES) It is Time To AWAKEN to See the Brilliance of this, The Revolution is Not DEAD, We are Experiencing it now.... Don't Believe Me? Think of the Common Idealisms that Manson fans that understand general concepts of Manson's work commonly speak of in casual conversation. Not Limited to Dualistic Properties in all things, The Cyclical Nature of Events, The Fascination of Death through the Media's Eyes, A Seemingly Unattainable Being Known as Coma White, Adam Kadmon the First Man, JFK as the second christ, Martyrdom, "Etc....ETC..."

Do Not Let These Fruits Fall From Your Hands They are precious, but Most of all...
    THEY ARE RIPE.

All the concepts of an awakening/ spiritual revolution that Manson Has talked about for so long Is True and now is literally the End times (Which we Know marks a New Beginning)

Here's the Biggest Misconception and I urge everyone to get this out of their minds,
    The Gun was Never Loaded in Count to Six and Die.... Holywood Doesn't End in a Demise.

After All

We Don't Seek Death We Seek Destruction

Alumni

It's interesting concerning the booklet and quality on the deluxe version - to be honest mine remains under wrap and key.

However, as much as I understand the battle against the corporate man, the corporation, does it matter to him that the everyday fan may feel cheated and may not feel all that has been given is of the upmost standard?

I mean this as no derision because I agree, Manson has used as a cashcow and is rebelling - especially given the battles he has had with the record companies of late over his creative stranglehold they have bestowed upon him, but not everyone is going to know his motives, motivations, tactics and tacticians.

As for Count to Six and Die, I always felt it apparant that it was an empty gun, one empty chamber after another - you can't kill it especially a charge against those those who sort to at the time - look at the media - fickle monkeys that they are - they change their tune against Ozzy, changed their tune against Manson, changed their tune against MJ - a posthumous entry into celebritarian if ever there was.

I always felt the echo of the empty chamber was Manson saying - your words are without firepower, your rants without ammunition.
    Nineteen76Designs: Clients are; Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, John 5