Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 1234567 ... LastLast

Thread: The High End Of Low

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Well, now that was a grand first post, and welcome to Provider Module. As it correlates with some thoughts I had on the number 15 this week, I entirely agree with the linear ideas you have written here, and how it culminates (though doesn't dissipate) with The High End of Low. One thing that struck me in the lyrics, which you may have picked up on, is how the album starts with a passive allowance at first, and an aggressive disallowance last. During Devour, Manson croons:-

"And I'll love you, if you let me"

...which is then countered by Manson growling:-

"Not letting you win, won't satisfy me, I'll teach you about loss"

...during 15. The duality of love and loss are common, but seem more prolific when placed in this dichotomy of whether it is allowed to happen or it is restricted by one party. This reminds me of lyrics from The Dope Show; "They love you, when you're on all the covers, when you're not, they love another".

What I think (and this ties in directly with your thoughts [god]speed, is that the final line of 15 is meant to imply the listener directly, in that Manson is teaching us that we will all be loved and lost, it is not just the construct of "movies". Effectively, this is what The High End Of Low achieves, the ability to show us that it isn't about us and Marilyn Manson, or Marilyn Manson against us, the very notion of what Marilyn Manson represents means ---"I Am You" --- "I am your shit, you should be ashamed of what you have eaten" --- EAT ME, DRINK ME...

The use of stage props that are taken from film sets is deliberate, I agree, and much like the work of Powell and Hitchcock (you might enjoy my "Visual Parallels" with Psycho in this section), Manson seeks to make us aware that we are always on screen to someone else, that we are always scrutinised for the things we do in life, it's just that some people do it behind the camera, others in front. To some degree we are all film directors holding a clapper board, we all desire to see someone through a selective lense, through the "Eden Eye", if you will, and this is what the new record has made clearer. I'm reminded of the glove-concealed stripshow from the mOBSCENE video, given that it is about authorial power over what entices or seduces. The role of the director is the voyeur, and behind cameras (the eye, the hole where the heart is), we are our "own wicked Gods".

Fantastic thoughts, I'm glad to be able to respond to them here.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    I always felt the echo of the empty chamber was Manson saying - your words are without firepower, your rants without ammunition.
    Also, Emma, I liked your take on this, and I'm interested, were you in mind of this line at all:-

"I'm more like a silver bullet, than I'm like a gun."

First time I read this, being aware of the subsequent lyric of "Rapist Werewolves", I put the two together, that Manson is not the weapon, but the thing people try and fire out of it.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by S.D.
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    I always felt the echo of the empty chamber was Manson saying - your words are without firepower, your rants without ammunition.
    Also, Emma, I liked your take on this, and I'm interested, were you in mind of this line at all:-

First time I read this, being aware of the subsequent lyric of "Rapist Werewolves", I put the two together, that Manson is not the weapon, but the thing people try and fire out of it.
    I had not been specifically thinking about any lyrics, mainly Manson's way with words during interviews, and also things like the Rolling Stones Who's Fault Is It?essay - but yes it corrolates - Manson has the ammunition, he has demonstrated this over the years with his constant, even if at times his message has worn him physically. All the protestors come and go and the words used to have a go at him are merry-go-round, nothing new, and as pointless as an empty gun on a suicide - which to me, Holywood was always the "I'm back, can't get me down" two finger salute.

I also agree, that others use him as their weapon - and in your analogy I offer another - much like an army is just the pawn of their government, they may be the rifle bearers but they do not fire - and this is how some have used Manson - though I wonder if he has not willfully, but slyly and knowingly participated, mainly because he knows more than they, what the reasons and real useage is.
    Nineteen76Designs: Clients are; Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, John 5

Original AIDS provider.

There is some interesting material in those articles for certain, though I do find it a little odd that all of the content is credited to NK, because there is a rather large portion of the material there that was originally discovered and featured in a selection of threads originally penned at MansonUSA.

That isn't meant to sound like a barbed comment, because it isn't, I'm just concerned that a lot of the time and effort put in by various parties in the months leading up to the release of The High End of Low might be being overlooked to some degree.

Extensive reading, nonetheless.
    I noticed that too. I was reading parts thinking "Hmmm..." Oh well. Suss as it may be, in depth discussion on Manson is always good

I like your take on this. Interesting.

I have a few things I'd like to say but haven't quite managed to get them into coherent words yet. Hopefully will have them up soon if no one beats me to it.

Post, discuss, dissect imagery related to THEOL.

The High End Of Low booklet (Australian deluxe edition)

The Seventh Seal

I'm not sure how much of this is lost in translation....

"He sneers at death, laughs at god, mocks himself and winks at the pretty girls. His world is his own world implausable to all except himself, a joke to everyone including himself. Worthless to heaven and absolutely irrelevant (useless) to hell".
    The Marilyn Manson encyclopedia that anyone can edit.

If you don't know what forever feels like,I'll show you what it feels like without it-15 lyrics
    You never said forever would ever hurt like this-Long Hard Road Out Of Hell lyrics
    You Never Said "I'll End Up Like This"-Unkillable Monster

Going over lyrics by Marilyn Manson,you'll find reoccuring themes ,same symbols,metaphors,and same same refrains.
    Of all things,it makes me wonder who he's been singing to all along.
    Maybe his Mother,a girl that reminds him of his Mother?
    The High End Of Low is just added speculation and going through his whole body of work,he really never changed in his lyrics during Eat Me,Drink Me and now, as some might say that he's gone more "emo".Eat Me Drink Me wasn't much of a turning point,especially considering that leading up to that album he was hinting at the Celebritarian album,now THAT seems it would have been more of a departure but even that can be looked upon as an elaboration on the Holywood theme.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I'm not sure if we're acquainted sugarbaby, but I've enjoyed your submissions and thoughts here, they're top.

Quote Originally Posted by --
    [i]"He sneers at death, laughs at god, mocks himself and winks at the pretty girls. His world is his own world implausable to all except himself, a joke to everyone including him
    Presumably the pretty girls are comparable to swastikas...

This description sounds a lot like the Antichrist Superstar, does it not? The notion of controlling one's own "world" and being aware only of one's own existence, especially in relation to Crowley and Nietzsche.
    the LORD god had made
    "

Thank You S.D.You have some really great stuff in this thread,especially that movie clip with the Joy Division song.
    I too hear sounds in this album that sound so familiar but I can't put my finger on them.I hear sounds that sound like they are from past albums too,such as Mechanical Animals and Antichrist Superstar.
    Also,as I am not a musician,I don't know if some of the sounds are just stock "filler"keyboard sounds or actual sounds taken from movies and such or live Manson sounds.
    The sound in the beginning of We're From America makes me think of something violent,like destruction at war or a natural disaster.
    It's all very intriguing.

I've been sitting on this thought since I have heard the song "I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell" but since noone has brought it up anywhere I thought I'd bring it up.The song sounds like it's straight out of the book The Island of Dr.Moreau by H.G Wells,the sinister subject matter of the lyrics,the harrowing scream at the beginning of the song and even the crazed deranged circus/carnival feeling music at the beginning.
    This song makes me feel like Manson is describing a satanic ritual and even the words "human wreakage"fit accordingly.
    Research this book or even the movie and let me know what you think.

The High End Of Low
    The Island Moreau-sing it,it's similar
    http://www.gradesaver.com/the-island-of ... t-summary/

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by sugarbaby
    Research this book or even the movie and let me know what you think.

http://www.gradesaver.com/the-island-of ... t-summary/
    "A strange mix of science fiction, romance, and philosophical meandering"

That quote actually seems to me to be a rather precise description of some of the themes of the song, and indeed, other areas of the album. It would be nice to see if there are more tangible links between the two, I will have to take your advice and do some research, thank you for this post, as ever, your contributions have been excellent.

Also, referring to your comment about the similarity in how the lyrics sound, the first time I heard the song I Have To Look Up Just To See Hell, I thought that it seemed as though Manson was going to some trouble to make it sound as if he were saying "The I end of low" in the lyrics, which seems to be reflected in the title, given that he (I) has to look up high to see what is below...

The original topic for this album saw someone quote the Hermetic phrase "As above, so below", which seems to be present even further in the assertion that Manson is "Forbidden in Heaven and useless in Hell". That would imply that Manson is forced to stay on Earth, to be mortal and die --- "I'm sick of immortality", rather than being in either Heaven or Hell:-

"You can take me,
    The grave can take me
    The earth is waiting to eat us alive"
    the LORD god had made
    "