Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 9 FirstFirst 123456789 LastLast

Thread: The High End Of Low

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Underdosed
    I posted that as Azoth on the Phant, No harm done though. I thought it was a pretty easy find to anyone who is familiar with Burton's work, So I imagine that you noticed this on your own, Thanks for posting Sixx.
    Great minds think alike then. I'ma big Burton fan and when I seen this photo this was the first thing I ever noticed to it really.
    I use words sharp as a sword

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Nice work Norsefire, I like that once again, what people assume is some throwaway comment becomes (or always was) the basis for a piece of music or artwork. In fact, on that note, something else came to mind recently regarding something he said in an interview in 1998:"I think Marilyn Manson has become the zeitgeist for America. It's become an adjective for when something is shocking or perverted. They say that's very Marilyn Manson."

This almost exactly mirrors Manson's perspective in WOW, that when he wants to describe how someone has betrayed him, or misunderstood his position, he has to say "WOW", when other people might say that something is "very Marilyn Manson".

"There's a word that's like you because it can be a noun, a verb, an exclamation or the thing I say"

I would also relate that to the concept of naming things, which is a theme of Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon: "If it hasn't learned your name..."; and This Is The New Shit: "When it's all the same you can ask for it by name".

Besides those already identified by various persons, here are some phrases in various Manson lyrics that seem to mirror the term "The High End Of Low". That isn't to suggest that they are referential to that record, but rather that they are more indicative of the duality of something positive and negative in one place at the same, or where heights are involved:-

mOBSCENE - "We have high places, but we have no friends"
    Coma White - "She's standing on an overpass, in her miracle mile" (suicide?)
    Better Of Two Evils - "I'll step on you on my way up, I'll fucking step on you on my way down"
    Minute Of Decay - "I'm on my way down now, I'd like to take you with me"
    Kaboom Kaboom - "We wear lawsuits when we get high, high, high" /
    "Call it fake I call it "good as it gets"".
    You And Me And The Devil Makes 3 - "I'm just like a rolling stone up the hill in Hades" (I have to look up...?)

If anyone else has others, I'd like to read them.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Original AIDS provider.

Coma White - "She's standing on an overpass, in her miracle mile" (suicide?)
    I've always read it more like being led to her death. Isn't the walk from a prisoner's cell to the execution room sometimes referred to as the Miracle Mile?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

p r e t t y
    - - -
    s w a s t i k a

the LORD god had made
    "

Another brilliant find as usual S.D., you should be a detective or something :P
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd59/Bevz91/AA4.jpg

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

The further you look, the more you discover. I am glad you have been enjoying some of the submissions here of late, it's always nice to see people igniting interest in subjects surrounding Manson and Celebritarianism.

"I used to hold your haunted neck"

In this image, if Manson were her vampire, the holes (in happiness) would be on the haunted neck, where the heart is. Should he have drunk from the jugular vein, I'm sure the victim would have died, she wouldn't be crying, there would just be blood all over him. Also, concerning Devour, no one seems to have made the connection between these two lyrics:-

"I want your pain, to taste why you're ashamed"
    "My pain is not ashamed to repeat itself"
    the LORD god had made
    "

I use to hold your "heart to neck" I know I'll miss you if I close my eyes
    Now My Sweet Knife Rusts Tomorrow....
    If We Cry, We will rust...
    You're not Crying this is blood all over me.

One Of Us Is A Knife, And One of Us Is Ripe... Let Me Show You where it hurts

Holes In My Everything, Stabbed through the center of the spiraled heart, Draining the blood turning the heartless upside down to drain.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I wonder if there is any validity in linking these phrases:-

"If we cry, we will rust"
    "Now my sweet knife, rusts tomorrow"
    "You're not crying this is blood all over me"

Unrelated perhaps, but I had thought about the possible stretch of relating a Mechanical Animals lyric to one from The Golden Age of Grotesque, but realised there are more than just those two relating one to the other. On both albums Manson refers to himself as a grenade:-

"I was a hand-grenade that, never stopped exploding"
    "I'm not a puppet, I am a grenade"

Apologies, my thoughts at the moment are so scatter-brained. Also, [god]speed, was the spiral heart/spade image you posted a self-created one, or was it part of an official graphic at any stage? I think it's terrific, and was always enamoured with the spade being a drained heart as a symbol for the song title, but if there was an aesthetic link also, to EAT ME, DRINK ME, I would be happier still.
    the LORD god had made
    "

I think that the parallels that you made above are pretty likely, There are key words that he seems to reuse and reinvent throughout his albums.

I created that spade spiral, It would have made a great logo and Im quite flattered that you questioned whether it was "official" or not.

Also... I wish they would have made a male version of the heart spiral or better yet a spade like that

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Sorry, I've just realised how using the word validity looked as though I was dismissing the lyrics you quoted, which is not the case. I agree with the tangent, I just worded my sentence badly.
    the LORD god had made
    "