Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 56789

Thread: The High End Of Low

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy View Post
    I guess it's just the sort of pun that goes through his head all the time, but didn't have the chance to use it in a song until now.
    Well, there's that element, but also the recurring motif of strangulation throughout The High End Of Low, and the possibility that it wasn't a viable pun to use up until that point...
    I say that because I was suggesting something to Mary recently, about Manson's make-up for the tour. It sounds morbid, but given some of the reactions to the initial run of live shows, I thought the deep black rings round Manson's eyes, and the dark black/blue marks across his temples and neckline might have been representing blood coagulation after death by strangulation. The first promotional picture anyone saw from the record was the Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon sleeve image, with Manson beside what looked like the shadow of a gallows, bringing up the obvious comparison with Adam Ant (a Highwayman, a Dandy, the high road to a low way of life...):-

I guess that role of the condemned is juxtaposed with Manson as the "Executioner" as well, given the album's commentary - "If the world had one neck".
    But the Noose/News thing, I don't know if it would have worked at any other stage, Manson's always been fond of victimising himself through characters, but The High End Of Low was the first time he was really vulnerable to critics, and they chose to take him on that, making any "News" surrounding his name as negative as possible (a Noose if you will), which might not have happened so virulently at any other stage of his career. I think he was throwing himself to the lions to a degree, and he has still emerged the better for it, perhaps more creatively driven of late than at any recent point.
    Here's a tour image with the make-up I mentioned, to me it looks like strangulation blood rupturing:-

Again, as ever, I'm not trying to be some loon and suggest any of that was planned since 1989 or anything, it's clearly just a play on words Manson wanted to re-use at a time when it was appropriate, and that's fine, it's his pun, but in relation to that awesome connection Norsefire made, I wanted to offer some of these thoughts I'd had as well.
    I even remember mentioning to Mary that when Manson played what many called the worst tour performance at the Download festival in '09, a lot of people spoke about how when the set was ending, and going pretty badly, Twiggy gestured to his neck like one would a noose. I never saw the footage, but people who were there said it was an odd moment, and I wondered if it was related to these ideas at all.
    I also love the fact that there is still so much conversation and potential readings of an album that a lot of people carelessly said was void of such interpretations originally. It's never that simple with Marilyn Manson.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

2. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

great post S.D. I liked the thoughts on his tour make up.

4. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Another Charlie Manson idea (in a sense) this week. From the Dope Hat video:-

"WE EAT OUR YOUNG"

Manson (senior) was accused of misguiding The Family (the young), in a sense preying on and "eating" their insecurities and stupidities. As ever, I couldn't say if that parallel was intentional in the case of Dope Hat, but it works nicely with the above visual. Similarly, America was the society that chewed up and spat out those members of The Family, and then tried to disown them when they reached up and killed people.

"I was made in America, and America hates me for what I am
    I am your shit, you should be ashamed of what you have eaten"
    Rock N' Roll Nigger

"Made In U.S.A."
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

6. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

I was listening to The High End of Low today and i realized this is an amazing album! I dont understand the hate on it. Tracks like "Running To The Edge Of The World" and "I Want Kill You Like They Do In The Movies" and "White Spider" are probably some of the best tracks since Mechanical Animals! I understand that the TOUR in 2009 wasn't the best. Just Imagine if the 2009 tour had as much effort as Hey Cruel World? The Band would be playing arenas by now! Now the only problem about this album was the production. I hate how devour is cut off at the end and four rusted horses sounds terrible quality wise. Both being amazing tracks I felt they were ruined and the high end of low should have been a double album.

8. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Four Rusted Horses uses a phrase ("Useless in Hell") very similar to a phrase he penned in the Holy Wood novel ("Worthless in Hell").

She is shaking more now and her strand of confidence is snapping. She starts crying weakly and
    he laughs at her, wiping the blood and tears out of his eyes.

"You're nothing, now you'll be less than nothing. Back to the ghetto for poor trash like you."

She stops the sound coming from her mouth abruptly with this realization. She opens her chapped,
    red lips into the shape of an 'o' and sticks the barrel in her mouth.

"You'll be worthless in hell too."

She pulls the trigger and fires. Her head explodes onto the perfect white walls. If the
    President had a frame of reference he would consider her blood splatter to be completely artless
    even by Jackson Pollack's standards.

Detecting some AIDS from Baudelaire

The Sunset of Romanticism
    How beautiful the Sun is when newly risen
    He hurls his morning greetings like an explosion!
    — Fortunate the one who can lovingly salute
    His setting, more glorious than a dream!
    I remember!... I have seen all, flower, stream, furrow,
    Swoon under his gaze like a palpitating heart...
    — Let us run to the horizon, it's late,
    Let us run fast, to catch at least a slanting ray!
    But I pursue in vain the sinking god;
    Irresistible Night, black, damp, deadly,
    Full of shudders, establishes his reign;
    The odor of the tomb swims in the shadows
    And at the marsh's edge my timid foot
    Treads upon slimy snails and unexpected toads.
    — William Aggeler, The Flowers of Evil (Fresno, CA: Academy Library Guild, 1954)

"We're running to the edge of the world
    I don't know if the world will end today

I can see a new begining rise behind the sun
    We can never catch up to it as fast as we run"

I'd also like to add:
    "How beautiful the Sun is when newly risen
    He hurls his morning greetings like an explosion!"

In comparison/contrast to

"I had no choice, I erased the debt of our family
    I let you say goodbye with lips like dynamite
    And everyone turned their backs, 'cause they knew
    When we held on tight to each other
    That we were something fatal, that fell into the wrong hands"

Duality Again, the high end of low
    --------------------------------

Don't tell me what to do.

11. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Just a little tiddlywink, but it seems not to have been noted here.

http://www.mansonwiki.com/wiki/A_CAT_MAY_LOOK_AT_A_KING

A CAT MAY LOOK AT A KING
    An essay by Marilyn Manson
    July 17, 2002
    marilynmanson.com Journal entry

A catless grin with smoke for words,
    I love all those who let me.
    M.M.
    A.D.
    An indirect THEOL lyric from back when Manson was still signing off with his Holy Wood tag. Kinda groovy.

EDIT: From the same. To be honest, these may have been pointed out in this thread already; I'm too lazy to check beyond the first few pages.

Those who have low expectations should get high.
    Last edited by The Overman; 11-23-2014 at 05:22 AM.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

13. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

"The WOW":

"Don't be surprised/I can look in yoir eyes"

Monster Magnet's "Spine Of God", which Manson joined the band on-stage for in 1999:

"Don't be surprised/There's a bug in your eye"

Very minor potential source of inspiration for that couplet.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post