Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 15 of 88 FirstFirst ... 51112131415161718192565 ... LastLast
Results 141 to 150 of 876

Thread: Random Manson Comments

  1. #141
    I've whited out my name. Halo Infinity's Avatar
    Join Date: 02.02.13
    Posts: 1,859
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    I don't really collect vinyl regularly at all, but should I get both the chances and the means, Antichrist Superstar and Mechanical Animals are still my main selections.

    (And then perhaps Portrait of an American Family and The Pale Emperor afterwards.)

    I'd also like to get Portrait of an American Family to The Golden Age of Grotesque on cassette as well.
    Last edited by Halo Infinity; 03-01-2015 at 01:18 PM.

  2. #142
    I've whited out my name. Halo Infinity's Avatar
    Join Date: 02.02.13
    Posts: 1,859
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    The fight that Marilyn Manson got into at Denny's reminded me of the time Kid Rock got into a fight at Waffle House.

  3. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
  4. #143
    benis Mok's Avatar
    Join Date: 09.15.12
    Location: Silent Hill
    Posts: 2,760
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    I kind of wish Manson fought back..I mean look what freaking Jack White did to a guy.


  5. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
  6. #144
    Raspberry Syncope FeedYourHead's Avatar
    Join Date: 07.06.09
    Location: New York, NY
    Posts: 2,052
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    I wish they would stop playing No Reflection. Of all the songs in their repertoire, that is not a candidate that should have ever even been considered for a setlist staple this time around. Obviously I know it was chosen because it's a single, it's a radio hit, it's from the last album, blah blah blah, but there are other singles and immensely popular songs that would have been infinitely better on this setlist. It makes me so angry and I'm not even sure why. I think I just really hate that song. It strikes me as gimmicky, especially since they're not touring to promote Born Villain anymore.
    Last edited by FeedYourHead; 04-28-2015 at 12:58 PM.


  7. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
  8. #145
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster
    S.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date: 06.19.09
    Location: Inkland
    Posts: 3,274
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    See, I love how Provider Module can genuinely offer completely opposing opinions. The world would be boring without a bit of disagreement, I personally love No Reflection and I'm really happy that there's material from Born Villain remaining in the live sets. I think it compliments The Pale Emperor well, and it's a nice, concise, 'modern classic' of Manson's. The post-Millennial Manson albums that have reflected his personal feelings more have also fallen prone to being neglected after their respective tours, EAT ME, DRINK ME and The High End Of Low aren't really getting a look in, which is a shame, they have some great live potential.
    Knowing that Born Villain is still fresh enough in Manson's mind to include a track or two is nice, I hope they still get the desire to do something like ...Arms or Murderers at some stage soon. For now though, No Reflection does the job, and still sounds vital.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

    m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m


  9. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
  10. #146
    Raspberry Syncope FeedYourHead's Avatar
    Join Date: 07.06.09
    Location: New York, NY
    Posts: 2,052
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    I'm really happy that there's material from Born Villain remaining in the live sets. I think it compliments The Pale Emperor well, and it's a nice, concise, 'modern classic' of Manson's. The post-Millennial Manson albums that have reflected his personal feelings more have also fallen prone to being neglected after their respective tours, EAT ME, DRINK ME and The High End Of Low aren't really getting a look in, which is a shame, they have some great live potential. Knowing that Born Villain is still fresh enough in Manson's mind to include a track or two is nice, I hope they still get the desire to do something like ...Arms or Murderers at some stage soon. For now though, No Reflection does the job, and still sounds vital.
    Do you really objectively love No Reflection though? Or are you just happy to see it on the setlist as a representative from the Born Villain album? I agree with you that it's unfortunate and sometimes actually annoying that Manson seems to completely ignore his more recent albums, because there are so many gems that he could pull from them. But in my opinion, No Reflection is seriously not one of those gems. That song actually detracts from my otherwise somewhat positive opinion of the album as a whole. I thought No Reflection was super gimmicky when it first came out, and now it's ten thousand times worse in that respect, because it's not even the current album anymore. By "super gimmicky" I mean that it sounds like somebody else was trying to write a Marilyn Manson song or imitate Manson's style, making sure to include all the "classic" elements believed to be necessary to produce a Manson-style song, but without anything remotely original or intelligent or of real depth and substance... kind of a lowest common denominator of the Marilyn Manson stereotype or musical archetype. It always just sounded like something a non-manson fan would write and produce in an attempt to fit in with people who ARE manson fans - like somebody trying to get a song on the radio by way of the Marilyn Manson "gimmick" but without actually putting anything into the song beneath that surface.

    I think that the band really, really, REALLY should have gone with Slo-Mo-Tion instead, since I also would hate to see the current setlist devoid of anything from Born Villain, and I assume tracks that were never played last tour definitely didn't even have a chance of making it into this tour. But I also think that No Reflection was a poor choice, especially with Slo-Mo-Tion sitting right next to it as a potential option, because if you look at the setlist as a whole, No Reflection contributes absolutely nothing new; it's surrounded by too many similar-sounding songs. I feel like Deep Dix, Disposable Teens, mObscene, Rock Is Dead, Personal Jesus, This Is The New Shit, AND No Reflection are all too much of the same thing. It's not that I have an issue with the fact that they're all singles or have been on the radio, I just think that in terms of sound/vibe/energy they are all almost identical in a concert setting, and even if we only look at Manson songs that have been incredibly popular, there are still so many other options that bring something new to the setlist and actually contribute to the show overall because it's not quite so redundant. For example, if they didn't want to consider Slo-Mo-Tion for some reason, I would have replaced No Reflection with The Love Song, Antichrist Superstar, or Four Rusted Horses, if sticking to the idea that the spot on the setlist is reserved for a popular hit song. All three of those songs are much more musically and lyrically complex and diverse, and I would bet that everyone in the audience would still know all the words and would still be just as excited if not more so to hear those hits instead.


  11. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post
  12. #147
    XIII arkahno's Avatar
    Join Date: 04.30.10
    Location: guadalajara jalisco mexico
    Posts: 471
    Rank: Glass Jaw
    Add arkahno on Facebook Follow arkahno on Tumblr

    Default

    I pretty much have the same feeling with mObscene, I get it, it is a radio hit, and more than that, it is a manson classic song now, but it has been in the live setlist since TGAOG came out, and it really start to get old, I think there is a lot of great stuff from TGAOG that could be played instead, for exemp. when This is the new shit was added to the setlist was awesome because it is also a great manson hit, now they are not playing that, it would be nice if they can explore a new/old golden age song like (s)aint.
    But in the matter, I agree, I would rather slo-mo-tion over no reflection any time.

  13. #148
    Twitch & Shout VelvetAIDS's Avatar
    Join Date: 08.12.09
    Posts: 1,035
    Rank: Crimson Soil

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
    if you look at the setlist as a whole, No Reflection contributes absolutely nothing new; it's surrounded by too many similar-sounding songs. I feel like Deep Dix, Disposable Teens, mObscene, Rock Is Dead, Personal Jesus, This Is The New Shit, AND No Reflection are all too much of the same thing. It's not that I have an issue with the fact that they're all singles or have been on the radio, I just think that in terms of sound/vibe/energy they are all almost identical in a concert setting, and even if we only look at Manson songs that have been incredibly popular, there are still so many other options that bring something new to the setlist and actually contribute to the show overall because it's not quite so redundant.
    You've hit the fucking nail on the head as to why I've had such a moan-fest over the current setlist.

    It comes across as flat-out lazy over time-I mean if he wants to be a nostalgia act at this point then by all means do so-but to release one of your most solid albums in a decade as well as having built an impressive back catalog but to put it all to waste in a live setting and focus on radio/promo singles? It's a waste of perfectly capable musicians. You might as well be tossing out periodic maxi-singles than albums instead if the tours are going to continually be a revised 'Lest We Forget' mumblefest.

  14. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
  15. #149
    Raspberry Syncope FeedYourHead's Avatar
    Join Date: 07.06.09
    Location: New York, NY
    Posts: 2,052
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by arkahno View Post
    I pretty much have the same feeling with mObscene, I get it, it is a radio hit, and more than that, it is a manson classic song now, but it has been in the live setlist since TGAOG came out, and it really start to get old, I think there is a lot of great stuff from TGAOG that could be played instead, for exemp. when This is the new shit was added to the setlist was awesome because it is also a great manson hit, now they are not playing that, it would be nice if they can explore a new/old golden age song like (s)aint.
    But in the matter, I agree, I would rather slo-mo-tion over no reflection any time.
    Ha I actually disagree with that too. I totally get what you're saying and can definitely relate, but to me, the BIG difference between mObscene and No Reflection are the lyrics and degree of sincerity that each song emits. I feel like mObscene has so much to say - there are so many nuances and both surface and deeper sentiments expressed in that song. It has a point, it makes several other, more subtle points throughout the song, and also has a very distinct identity as a product of the GOAG/arch dandy era. If another band that wasn't Manson originally performed mObscene I would be ALL OVER that band, whereas if any other band had performed No Reflection I would probably be all "ugh, look at this new shitty band trying to copy Manson and failing."


  16. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post
  17. #150
    Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster
    S.D.'s Avatar
    Join Date: 06.19.09
    Location: Inkland
    Posts: 3,274
    Rank: 15 Gauge

    Default

    I agree there's easily a lot of songs that would work in place of No Reflection, but yes, I do actually really enjoy the song. To be honest (not that it was ever a bad thing), my friends and I were already picking out the identikit 'Manson' song when Holy Wood came out. Disposable Teens or mOBSCENE are ace, but playing 'Which Is This Album's The Beautiful People?' became par-for-the-course.

    I like the jagged simplicity of No Reflection, and I think it does a better job of the energetic Manson-Stomp-Along than Arma...Geddon did live (for example). The song's inclusion on tour is a separate issue from overall setlists though. I don't really spend hours poring over YouTube videos or the minute-by-minute accounts people give of the shows they've seen, so every few years when the Manson show rolls into the UK, even a set with Rock Is Dead, Sweet Dreams, Personal Jesus and The Beautiful People in it isn't tired or boring to me, because I haven't over-saturated my enjoyment of those songs. The same definitely goes for No Reflection, because if it's still being played when Manson gets here, it'll be the first time I've heard it live since 2012, so I think three years will have been long enough to be excited by hearing it again.
    As I keep saying, time-and-time-and-time-and-time again though, the minority fans who congregate online kind-of shoot themselves in the foot by being so obsessive over setlists. The average person in a Manson audience might be a fan, they might know every word to a song, and have every album, but chances are they haven't spent the three months prior to the show they attend looking on the Internet for a prediction of what they're going to hear.

    Aaaaanyway, yes, obviously it's always down to personal preference, but I still think No Reflection is pretty nifty. It's by no means Manson's best, but I don't resent it for being another flagship single cut from a classic Manson mould. It's actually quite a comforting thing, each record, singling out the song that belongs in that little cluster of cousins.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

    m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m


Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •  

NEWS | TOUR | BIOGRAPHIES | DISCOGRAPHY | VIDEOGRAPHY | GALLERY | MEDIA & INTERVIEWS
MANSON'S JOURNAL | ESSAYS & ANALYSIS | TIMELINE | FORUM | THEATRE | INFORMATION & LINKS