Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 82 of 88 FirstFirst ... 3272787980818283848586 ... LastLast

Thread: Random Manson Comments

One of my favorite things about this era was the backup singer. I seem to remember her name was Nikki Harris and she was a gospel singer. She had a wikipedia page years ago but I can't find anything about her anymore. Could be wrong.

2. Like 5 Member(s) liked this post

Has Manson ever mentioned his love for the film Candyman? Cause that would explain a lot.

Quote Originally Posted by Mok View Post
    Has Manson ever mentioned his love for the film Candyman? Cause that would explain a lot.
    Oh, the bees thing.

http://www.providermodule.com/forum/...ost#post221165

I think it's more a reference to Fibonacci's use of bees to demonstrate numbers sequences. Though I'm sure Candyman is also a reference point. "Christ consciousness manifest to the Golden Ratio" and all that.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

All the houses of Europe are now marked with the mysterious red cross.

5. Like 3 Member(s) liked this post

And here I thought the "nose is like a beehive" was just a reference to doing cocaine haha. I'm really curious about lyrics of all the more personal songs on this album. I'm still not sure if we're supposed to interpret it as Manson playing a character/persona or if it is Manson speaking honestly about himself and his life.

The line "I fuck every broken crazy girl instead of hanging from my ceiling" really struck me when I first heard it, because the mental image "hanging from my ceiling" brought was someone hanging themselves with a noose. Which is a pretty fucked up and direct lyric even by Manson's standards imo. Like damn dude I hope you're getting some kind of psychological help if that's how you really feel. But then again I could be completely overanalyzing and misinterpreting it lol.

Also found the bridge of Threats of Romance to be interesting - "My seed would have made good fruit/And you could have been a tree." It makes me wonder who in his life this line is directed to, since I don't think I've ever heard him say in an interview that he was interested in having children with any specific woman. Of course it could just be a call back to In the Shadow of the Valley of Death, which I'm perfectly fine with since Holy Wood is my favorite album by him haha.

Both these songs just kind of took me off guard, since I wasn't expecting HUD to be a very personal record. What do you guys think?

7. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Not only does the reference to seeds and fruits call back to "In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death", but also to "Born Villain":

You'll have to cut it down
    And burn me into splinters
    Or I'll unwrap the string
    That was me from your finger
    It's kind of like how there's a reference chain from "Get Your Gunn" -> "The Bright Young Things" -> "Deep Six" -> "We Know Where You Fucking Live". In this case it's "In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death" -> "Born Villain" -> "Threats Of Romance".

As for as "hanging from the ceiling", that's a layered metaphor. It can symbolize everything from auto-erotic asphyxiation to vampirism, which of course has been a recurring theme for Manson post-Triptych.
    To revenge the misdeeds of the ruling class, there existed in the middle ages, in Germany, a secret tribunal, called the “Vehmgericht.” If a red cross was seen marked on a house, people knew that its owner was doomed by the “Vehm.”

9. Like 4 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by The Overman View Post
    Not only does the reference to seeds and fruits call back to "In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death", but also to "Born Villain":

It's kind of like how there's a reference chain from "Get Your Gunn" -> "The Bright Young Things" -> "Deep Six" -> "We Know Where You Fucking Live". In this case it's "In The Shadow Of The Valley Of Death" -> "Born Villain" -> "Threats Of Romance".

As for as "hanging from the ceiling", that's a layered metaphor. It can symbolize everything from auto-erotic asphyxiation to vampirism, which of course has been a recurring theme for Manson post-Triptych.
    Almost like Manson's trying to do some kind ring theory thing and link the albums in new circles, not just the triptych.

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulDarter View Post
    Almost like Manson's trying to do some kind ring theory thing and link the albums in new circles, not just the triptych.
    I have a half-assed interpretation of the first lyrical chain, if you're interested.

We start with a young Manson singing passionately about the murder of David Gunn, an abortion provider. He's assuming an anti-hero role, killing the killers:

The pro-life I will kill
    What you won't do, I will
    Eight years later, an older, wiser Manson now considers his previous stance passé:

Crashing the aether, we've got the loudest stereotype
    Even neophytes deep six your pro-life
    In other words, even a young novice can kill in the name of ideology.

And, fifteen years on from that, Manson now sees his earlier confrontationalism reflected in the broader culture:

Let's make something clear/We're all recording this as it happens...

We don't need to move a single prayer-bone
    Dodge/burn so loud and sub-low
    We don't need to move a single prayer-bone
    Hi-def is still life
    [These lyrics, of course, directly reference "The Bright Young Things".]

I'm still not entirely sure where the track "Deep Six" itself fits into this exactly, except that it's possible that song is meant to be reflective of the actual psychological process of someone motivated to kill for a 'higher' cause. If "Get Your Gunn" reflected the mentality of a young man enraged at an injustice and ready to avenge it, "The Bright Young Things" a slightly older individual skeptical of such a stereotyped act, and "We Know Where You Fucking Live" the perspective of an older, wearier man who sees this mentality reflected around him, "Deep Six" reflects what ties all of these outlooks together.

"You want to know what Zeus" - an abstract Ideal or the categorical imperative or God - "said to Narcissus?" - the neophyte for whom his entire identity is enmeshed in that abstraction, until it becomes a reflection of his own personality - "'You better watch yourself.'" - When you act in the name of a Cause, you're really acting out your own ego.

The Superego is simply a reflection of the Ego, and any action taken in its name is really just self-gratification.
    Last edited by The Overman; 10-06-2017 at 04:03 PM.

12. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    A Mental Revolution Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar
    Follow Nemoris Inferioris On Twitter Add Nemoris Inferioris on Facebook Visit Nemoris Inferioris's Youtube Channel

Quote Originally Posted by JoyfulDarter View Post
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vpYmFUskGqc

One of my favorite things about this era was the backup singer. I seem to remember her name was Nikki Harris and she was a gospel singer. She had a wikipedia page years ago but I can't find anything about her anymore. Could be wrong.
    I remember reading that Manson found them as prostitutes and gave them a job on the album, and to sing live.
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

Does anyone have the KILL4ME Mystery Skulls remix yet? I just checked on CD Japan and apparently they have it in stock. About to orderrr, I got my Made in Abyss CD's from there. And my GO ACE! one. GO ACE!

15. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    I've whited out my name. Halo Infinity's Avatar

This was yet another surprise as far as Marilyn Manson songs I thought I wouldn't really get into, but it seems like Revelation #12 actually helped me appreciate Hey, Cruel World... so much more that it became one of my favorite songs on Born Villain. I used to always skip Hey, Cruel World..., and thanks to that now I'd also actually hope to see it live.

17. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post