Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 94 of 94 FirstFirst ... 44849091929394

Thread: Random Manson Comments

Quote Originally Posted by Nemoris Inferioris View Post
    Ditto. Always loved that line. It has a lot of great lyrics on it tbh. I think what people do is compare it to TPE, which I loved also. I can't find where to rank this album though. Better than TPE? Worse? Idk. But every song on here is great, which is good why it's only 10 tracks, straight to the point.

Also, it's the only Marilyn Manson album that seems to cover his own entire discography sonically, all while keeping it fresh with tracks like Saturnalia and Heaven Upside Down, Threats Of Romance, etc.
    Saturnalia covers his entire career. A rip off. I'm surprised he hasn't been thrown in Lana Del Rey's shoes and gotten sued over it yet.

Honestly, I think it's at the same level of The Pale Emperor. Both albums are definitely redeeming of the bs Jeordie 'wrote' the some albums prior to.

I still wish he did a music video for Cupid Carries A Gun and the video was heavy on Santeria rituals. The drummings, Sacrifices, card readings, etc. If any Santero paid attention to him at that time, they'd of already known he talked shit on their religion so what's displaying it?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by theimpaler View Post
    Saturnalia covers his entire career. A rip off. I'm surprised he hasn't been thrown in Lana Del Rey's shoes and gotten sued over it yet.

Honestly, I think it's at the same level of The Pale Emperor. Both albums are definitely redeeming of the bs Jeordie 'wrote' the some albums prior to.

I still wish he did a music video for Cupid Carries A Gun and the video was heavy on Santeria rituals. The drummings, Sacrifices, card readings, etc. If any Santero paid attention to him at that time, they'd of already known he talked shit on their religion so what's displaying it?
    Sorry, without meaning to sound rude, this post is a ramble. Can you clarify your comments...

Who is Manson ripping off? Who would sue him? At what point has he been disparaging of Santeria? Why the parenthesis regarding what Twiggy has written for Manson?

It's the Internet, I might be misinterpreting your words, but I'm interested either way.

Cheers.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Quote Originally Posted by S.D. View Post
    Sorry, without meaning to sound rude, this post is a ramble. Can you clarify your comments...

Who is Manson ripping off? Who would sue him? At what point has he been disparaging of Santeria? Why the parenthesis regarding what Twiggy has written for Manson?

It's the Internet, I might be misinterpreting your words, but I'm interested either way.

Cheers.
    Have you never heard Bela lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus? Seriously?

" I don’t know what I was possessed by, maybe it was just me remembering being in New Orleans, which is a place where you realise that there’s not a great difference between when you see personally – which I have – someone in the middle of a fucking swamp doing some sort of strange voodoo hoodoo Santeria type of ritual, cutting off the heads of chicken and pouring blood on you, it’s not that different from some evangelical zealot in a church tent handling a snake and not being afraid of being bitten by it. If you look at them both they’re very similar – if you just look at them objectively – and they both think that the other is different, although I would probably lean towards the Christian element being more against the other one saying that it’s evil, but in a sense it’s all about how you worship and how you figure things out in your life, and for me it’s with music but I wanted to make a record that represented both sides of that coin."

----

http://themusic.com.au/interviews/al...on-steve-bell/

Jeordie is clearly not that well of a writer. Especially when you compare him to others that have worked with Manson.

"Clearly not that well of a writer," lol.

SELF-PWN

I listened to Born Villain for the first time since years, i really don't know how to feel about it.

Have you never heard Bela lugosi's Dead by Bauhaus? Seriously?
    Yes, quite a lot. Saturnalia is a lovely homage that fits very closely to it, but still contributes something different in terms of mood, lyrics and music. The world is a better place for having both of them to listen to. There is even a bit at the end there that is lifted directly from Sisters of Mercy to change things up a little. It is no more identical than any other of the many, many, many 'inspired by' versions of songs Manson has done, whether it be Beautiful People, Fight Song, Devour, Disassociative ... the list goes on.

Personally, I am more surprised by how fans (and non fans) are always endlessly 'OMG THIS SONG IS EXACTLY LIKE..' as if he hasn't made a career out of bricolage.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    Yes, quite a lot. Saturnalia is a lovely homage that fits very closely to it, but still contributes something different in terms of mood, lyrics and music. The world is a better place for having both of them to listen to. There is even a bit at the end there that is lifted directly from Sisters of Mercy to change things up a little. It is no more identical than any other of the many, many, many 'inspired by' versions of songs Manson has done, whether it be Beautiful People, Fight Song, Devour, Disassociative ... the list goes on.

Personally, I am more surprised by how fans (and non fans) are always endlessly 'OMG THIS SONG IS EXACTLY LIKE..' as if he hasn't made a career out of bricolage.
    ^^^Like
    Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.

I recently suggested to someone I know who researches performance and the art of adaptation that they might want to consider looking more closely at Manson for how to successfully preserves political and social commentary in a new context. hey are attempting to adapt the original 1963 stage play of Marat/Sade* by Peter Weiss to remove some of the Theatre of Cruelty excess and maintain the political critique. He does it so very, very well that even if there spine of another song exists, or the most characteristic phrasing of the composition is used as a starting point, it almost always is sucked into a world so Marilyn Manson as to not be anything else. If there was a way to cite music, then the citations would be endless fascinating.

There is nothing inherently wrong with adaptation and bricolage when done well. Nothing of course, unless you are a copy right lawyer and out to make money, or a poor artist being fucked over by a record company. The idea that somehow an idea, an image, or a sound is 'unique' is a remarkably modern concept that has only been articulated in its current form since the mid 20th century, and almost certainly different across musical genres - classical music you almost need to re purpose motif's and composition for somethings, but it is simply often older and therefore less of an issue. Messed up music industries are not the same as somehow being bad.

*Die Verfolgung und Ermordung Jean Paul Marats dargestellt durch die Schauspielgruppe des Hospizes zu Charenton unter Anleitung des Herrn de Sade
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I've been at work all week, but the answers above and identifcation of SELF-PWN are adequate to anything I'd have brought to the table. Besides being insulted that anyone thinks I might not own the collected works of Bauhaus. ;)

Anyway, that's a silly thing to say, Manson didn't go for sonics when paying homage to Bela Lugosi's Dead, he went for theme:-

"If I Was Your Vampire is the new Bela Lugosi's Dead. It's the all-time gothic anthem."
    MM, 2007

Maybe Tyler was trying to be more well of a writer on Saturnalia, it sounds like a tribute to Twiggy's work on I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies, to me...
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Strange & Unusual Sinner Halo Infinity's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by FuckmanQ View Post
    I still don't like the record but I'm glad you find enjoyment in it. I like KILL4ME and Blood Honey and that's about it. Been jamming to Cry Little Sister though. Hopeful for album 11.
    Thanks. It's always a hit or a miss for me too, but Heaven Upside Down just seemed to be much more to my liking this time around.

Quote Originally Posted by cataract777 View Post
    Iíve been listening to The Reflecting God like nothing else. Love how, after the 11 years Iíve been into Manson, itís still such a good song. Iíd say I love it now more than I ever did. So glad I got to hear it live back in February.
    The Reflecting God is easily one of my most favorite songs from Antichrist Superstar. As far as heavy and fast songs go on it, Irresponsible Hate Anthem is probably the closest to it. If only I also heard it live in real life too, but I definitely loved how it turned out of The Last Tour on Earth and Guns, God and Government. And for some reason, having The Reflecting God placed in between Irresponsible Hate Anthem and Great Big White World was very satisfying.

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    ^Like a lot. Especially when the lead in from Minute of Decay.
    As with other albums, that's one thing I've always liked about Marilyn Manson. (And Nine Inch Nails.) Just how one song transitions to the next song. It also helps that Minute of Decay is yet another favorite song of mine off Antichrist Superstar as well.

Heaven Upside Down is heavily underrated. I get that manson fans get stuck on the past and bash on his latest album...but seriously. This album is pure fucking gold and a huge middle finger to America.

My favorite line off the album absolutely has to be "Too stupid to call themselves evil/so they call themselves heroes". Clear punch towards Cops/US military and those who worship their boots. You canNOT change my mind on that.
    That's also my favorite line as well. I also interpreted that as people that are also too arrogant and selfish to the point where they justify all their words and actions as goodness or even greatness no matter what, especially while power tripping.

Quote Originally Posted by Melmoth View Post
    Now that's a favourite of mine, love the nihilism in that song!
    I've also figured that's why Minute of Decay is also sometimes great for when I feel jaded and hollow. It's just one of those songs to me.