Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 10 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Musical Parallels

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default Musical Parallels

I was listening to Ministry's Filth Pig, and it occurred to me that Lava bears some similarity to Kinderfeld.

They were both recorded in 1996, but Filth Pig came out a good eight months before Antichrist Superstar, so it isn't an impossibility to consider that the song may have been an influence, as certainly Ministry were both aesthetically and musically for that album.

If there are any other notable comparisons you can make between any of Manson's music and other sources, I'd be very interested to read them, or indeed, hear them. As the title of the topic suggests, that extends to both lyrical comparisons from other sources, and any songs or segments of music you feel are perhaps an influence, or have been influenced in some way by Marilyn Manson.

I have others, some that I have submitted before, and some that haven't, which I will add when time permits.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

He got inspiration from the beatles during the years..
    in the Early yeas he did some covers, and he used samples of several Beatles songs..
    he covered Helter Skelter live.. He used samples of the song in My monkey.
    The Single of Get your gunn contains "Mother Inferior Got Her Gunn" ar reference to the line "Mother Superior jumped the gun" of Happiness is a warm gun of the Beatles, and The Single Contains: Revolution #9 reference to Revolution 9.
    the old Demo "Lucy in the sky With Demons"
    Etc.

Olso in the Holy wood era he used a line of the song Revolution : "You say you want a revolution" in, offcourse, Disposable teens. the single of disposable teens contains a cover of John lennon's Working class hero.

During The EMDM and he 2009 tour he Sang Lines of several Beatles Songs as: Happiness is a warm gun, Birthday, Etc.
    And probally much more..

David Bowie - Lady Grinning Soul
    Leave a Scar - "There's a crack in my soul, you thought was a smile."

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oedepus
    There's a danzig song that sounds really similar to the beautiful people, but i dont know which one came out first.

The obvious I don't like the drugs and Bowie's fame.
    Danzig song.

My mom thinks Heart Shaped Glasses sounds a lot like China Girl by David Bowie and Iggy Pop. I was listening to it today and now I hear it.

Original AIDS provider.

RE: Kinderfeld/ Lava, there is similarity but bear in mind that Kinderfeld was originally "Smells Like Children", which was played before Lava's release, so I guess it's most likely coincidence

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Not Mechanical's Bowie reference is excellent, particularly just on a common Manson lyric basis of death and rebirth, as the final words to Lady Grinning Soul repeat the phrase "living end".
    And that Danzig comparison is almost laughable, considering not only how close it is, but also the fact that both bands toured together before The Beautiful People was released. I like any excuse to laugh at Danzig, but him being a thieving gibbon is the best.

Quote Originally Posted by Lauren
    My mom thinks Heart Shaped Glasses sounds a lot like China Girl by David Bowie and Iggy Pop. I was listening to it today and now I hear it.
    There are some expanded thoughts on this HERE, but I also should point out the lyric "I'll give you eyes of blue" from China Girl, in comparing these two songs...

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy
    RE: Kinderfeld/ Lava, there is similarity but bear in mind that Kinderfeld was originally "Smells Like Children", which was played before Lava's release, so I guess it's most likely coincidence
    You know, this isn't the first time I've completely forgotten about that detail in conversation, it must be a psychological Manson blind spot.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Drumbeat from Dope Show is pinched from "Nightclubbing" by Iggy Pop (whoever it was who chewed my bollocks over that back on the phant can kiss my arse, Twiggy admits it in a few interviews)
    Sweet Dreams riff is VERY similar to the riff from Crazy Train by Ozzy
    Antichrist Superstar = Shout At The Devil
    Mobscene = that song by Faith No More (I fail)
    Sweet Tooth's riff is very similar to War Machine by KISS
    Beautiful People has a definite Adam Ant feel...
    Fight Song/Song 2 by Blur
    I always thought the bass on "Kinderfield" sounds like "Up Jumped The Devil" by Nick Cave

Also this is the weirdest one, the bassline from "Dope Hat" sounds like the synth melody on Soft Cell's cover of "Tainted Love", but when Manson covered "Tainted Love", they really messed with the rhythm (making it all staccato) & it sounds pretty different.

Black Metal Ist Krieg Lord Hypnos's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by handofsutekh
    Mobscene = that song by Faith No More (I fail)
    The Faith No More song is "Be Aggressive".
    "The Yesterdays are hailed with open arms.... with open arms..."

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

As for Heart-Shaped Glasses and Bowie, Ashes to Ashes is a close call. Manson even said he listened to Scary Monsters a lot during recording of EMDM.

I will get slammed by the one Lady GaGa live intro to her shows Who Shot Candy Warhol? uses a very similar flutter (at beginning and at the 0:58 mark and at the beginning) to the one heard at the end of Heart-Shaped Glasses. S.D. will back me up, I showed him. Listen to it below:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwpMJ8DOHfQ

Devour and Xiu Xiu's I Luv the Valley OH!

This was debated a lot and some call it a rip off but I can hear and see where they're coming from. The music progression and the lyric style talking about a heart and pills is also very similar.

I got more to share later.
    I use words sharp as a sword