Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast

Thread: Musical Parallels

That tune by At The Drive-In that sounds like IWTKYLTDITM...

Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by handofsutekh
    Mobscene = that song by Faith No More (I fail)
    Don't mean to jump on you over this but it surprises me how often this gets mentioned... I'm fairly certain mOBSCENE is based on an American cheerleader chant, as was FNM's song. They draw inspiration from the same source, but not each other. Manson's was also based on an Oscar Wilde quote which suitably fit the rhythm of the chant.
    Nineteen76Designs: Clients are; Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, John 5

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

You are correct, it was originally the American cheerleading theme. I thought it was funny that all these older guys got really defensive about it when mOBSCENE was released, I enjoyed reminding them that it wasn't Faith No More's anyway.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Yep I'm aware it's a colloquial, but it uses it (specifically) as a refrain during an alternative metal song (as such it's not really any more tenuous than many other things stated, also I won't bother citing it has the same beat because it's a rhythmic chant & wouldn't fit any other way), I'm not outraged & the song itself is sufficiently different to avoid a lawsuit, but in my gut I suspect that ze reverend... shall we say "homaged" FNM with that one, I find it hard to believe that someone who worked as a music journo in early 90s america is unaware of that song, especially seeing as Manson would almost certainly have been watching the more quirky & innovative bands at the time...

It's ok though, Trent Reznor is somehow way more critically respected & yet there are about 6 instances of outright THEFT from Bowie (that bit on the frail is nicked from Low, there's no denying it, and everyone knows the deal with "warm place"), rock n roll is just white people playing the blues too fast anyway, it's all reinvention/interpolation

Then again, maybe not, I always thought that FNM tune sounded like "dig lazarus dig" by nick cave, but I doubt the cave pinches from US metal

Black Metal Ist Krieg Lord Hypnos's Avatar

That tune by At The Drive-In that sounds like IWTKYLTDITM...
    The At The Drive-In song is Quarantined. :)

It's only the bass that sounds like it though.
    "The Yesterdays are hailed with open arms.... with open arms..."

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

This song always reminded me of The Doors and now recently a bit of IWTKYLTDITM because of how "free" it sounds. This is one of top favorite SK songs. Maybe it's just me, but something about the way Manson sings is really Jim Morrison.

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    Don't mean to jump on you over this but it surprises me how often this gets mentioned... I'm fairly certain mOBSCENE is based on an American cheerleader chant, as was FNM's song. They draw inspiration from the same source, but not each other. Manson's was also based on an Oscar Wilde quote which suitably fit the rhythm of the chant.
    OT, but lolwhut? Was that not my post, that mysteriously appeared as Emma's? Crazy things be happening!

We now return to our regular programming.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Have you ever noticed that Emma only posts when you're passed out?

BTW Danzig has pinched another Manson song, listen to "Deep" after listening to Sweet Tooth and fight the deja vu

Alumni

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy
    Quote Originally Posted by Emma
    OT, but lolwhut? Was that not my post, that mysteriously appeared as Emma's? Crazy things be happening!

We now return to our regular programming.
    Now that is weird. I was not even online then - was half way down a bottle of JD at the time! Weird glitch.

Will keep an eye out that it doesn't happen too often, though I did notice, we share an IP for some reason on some posts - maybe that had somthing to do with it???

Nineteen76Designs: Clients are; Rob Zombie, Sheri Moon Zombie, John 5

Just some things I was thinking about regarding Manson and Radiohead, particularly the OK Computer album.
    There is, of course, the obvious similarity between the vocal melody of Climbing up the Walls and Lamb of God and the aesthetic similarities between OK Computer and Mechanical Animals.
    There is also the song Subterranean Homesick Alien, not only does the title of this song seem to describe Omega quite well, but it is also inspired by the Bob Dylan song, Subterranean Homesick Blues, with the video in which cue cards are held up to the camera, similar to the way the cue cards are held up during performances of Arma-Goddamn-Motherfucking-Geddon on the current tour, a comparison already mentioned in the Visual Parallels thread.