Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 4 of 10 FirstFirst 12345678 ... LastLast

Thread: Musical Parallels

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by Not Mechanical View Post
    Just some things I was thinking about regarding Manson and Radiohead, particularly the OK Computer album. There is, of course, the obvious similarity between the vocal melody of Climbing up the Walls and Lamb of God and the aesthetic similarities between OK Computer and Mechanical Animals.
    Indeed, I'm fond of the OK Computer links to Manson's songs, he's a big fan of theirs and has been for some time I gather, I recall him talking about them way back in 1997 in a Kerrang! interview, and saying something along the lines of "I like Radiohead because they make people unhappy, and no one should be happy". Ironically, on that basis, I believe he met Evan Rachel Wood at one of their concerts.
    It's tenuous, but I'd be interested to know what you (and others) and others think, but in Airbag Thom Yorke sings "I am born again" several time throughout, obviously reflecting Born Again by Manson. It is a common term of course, so it's only a link of content, I'm not necessarily claiming it was part of Manson's thematic when writing Holy Wood.

Quote Originally Posted by Mary View Post
    The scream at the beginning of 'Jack The Ripper' by The Horrors and 'I Have to Look Up Just to See Hell' is very similar. Also, take note of the bass at the beginning of them both.
    I am glad you posted this sweetheart, and thank you for pointing it out to me also, it's a really close sound between the two, almost identical intros.
    I guess also, even though the original Jack The Ripper was a Screaming Lord Sutch song, the theme of serial killers is relevant to The High End Of Low, and Manson was obviously involved in the most recent Jack The Ripper outing in Hollywood; From Hell (there's that word again...).
    I'm not saying the link between that and The Horrors is deliberate, it's all just pleasant happenstance when these things converge, and the result of performers of a similar ilk being influenced by the same sort of events. It's still nice to make the observations though. Incidentally, I recall when the back cover image for The High End Of Low surfaced (at thehighendoflow.co.uk), I thought Manson's attire had a "Jack"esque quality to it:-

Also, regarding the She Wants Revenge comparison, and release dates, I just read that True Romance was also featured on an EP of the same name before This Is Forever, and perhaps before EAT ME, DRINK ME. Also, it's worth pointing out that Mary hadn't said Manson was influenced by She Wants Revenge, only that the drum beats of the two songs remind her of one another, which I can definitely hear.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Q is for fucking Queen Alexandra's Avatar

I've been wondering about a possible lyrical parallel between The Speed of Pain and Depeche Mode's Lie To Me:

Lie to me, cry to me, give to me
    I would
    Lie with me, die with me, give to me
    I would

---
    Come on and lay with me
    Come on and lie to me
    Tell me you love me
    Say I'm the only one

Whenever I listen to Lie To Me I can't help thinking about The Speed of Pain, though even despite that, I'm still not sure about this parallel.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

I have written about Marilyn Manson and Eminem before in The Empirical Guy's I AM YOU topic, and The High End Of Low imagery, but I was a bit stuck on where to place this. It's not really worth an entire discussion on its own, but has visual and lyrical comparisons. Anyway, this is the location I thought was best. If anyone is familiar with D12's song Fight Music, it might make sense. Watch and listen to it if not:-

One of Eminem's lyrics during Fight Music is "You don't have to ask who produced it, you just know, that's the new shit". Perhaps this was part of Manson's wry reflection for This Is The New Shit? The Golden Age Of Grotesque astutely observes the prominence of rap and hip-hop as modern forms of Degenerate music, and there are a lot of deliberately tongue-in-cheek references to the genre within the album, perhaps this is one of them. Fight Music was released in 2001, and so it was available and publicly circulated during the time Manson was writing The Golden Age Of Grotesque.
    Obviously the title, and references to things like The Warriors in the music video are evocative of The Fight Song, so perhaps there was even a level of influence from Manson to D12/Eminem?
    If you've read this and watched the music video, some of the imagery similarities to The Nobodies might be apparent also:-

the LORD god had made
    "

Haha! I love that song, nice shout.
    "You know why my hands are so numb? (No) Because my grandmother sucked my dick and I didn't cum (Oh)"

There's also a lyric in Eminem's rap that reminds me of Manson.
    "I came to save these new generations of babies from parents who failed to raise them 'cause they're lazy, so they grow to praise me."
    I can't think of specific examples at the moment, perhaps I'll edit some in later if I do, but it reminds me of Manson's thing about children being babysat by the television and lazy parenting being responsible for violence, and things like Columbine.

On the subject of Eminem and Manson, I don't know if you've heard the song We As Americans, which features the lyric, "Fuck money, I don't rap for dead presidents, I'd rather see the president dead."
    The last use of the word 'dead' was censored on Encore, similar to Blank and White.
    Also noteworthy is the first part, "fuck money," - Pretty As a $, and the reasons behind that, and the use of the phrase "president dead."

I've got some other Eminem things, but perhaps it's going off topic.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

There's also a lyric in Eminem's rap that reminds me of Manson.
    "I came to save these new generations of babies from parents who failed to raise them 'cause they're lazy, so they grow to praise me."
    "You better start raising your kids properly, or I'm going to raise them for you" - Marilyn Manson
    Was that one of the quotations you were thinking of?

And yes, Fight Music is such a ludicrously overblown chest-puffing anthem it's hard to take seriously, but I like Eminem's over-arching theme that music should be used to express anger and frustration, it more or less pales the claims of physical violence by members of D12 in the other lyrics.
    There's some parts that remind me of The Golden Age in the last Eminem section, specifically "You motherfuckers wanna judge me cause you're not me, you'll never stop me, I'm top speed as you pop me" and "All you Liberaces and Versaces, New/you (?) Nazis". They respectively sound like the "(s)Top Hat(ed)" lyrics from Ka-Boom Ka-Boom and "spit on all you Paparazzinazis" and a few other phrases during Better Of Two Evils.
    the LORD god had made
    "

I was listening to an album/compilation by the Sisters of Mercy (Some Girls Wander by Mistake, recorded in the early 80s but released in 92) today and there's a song called Valentine on it, it reminds me of Valentine's Day a lot. Take a listen: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kOfyJm53cQo
    Last edited by Lauren; 08-22-2010 at 01:02 PM.

Original AIDS provider.

A few weeks a go I made this post (clicky link) in the visual parallels thread about Maria Brink from In This Moment's mic stand, which has a lot of similarities to early-era Manson visuals. Following up on that, take a listen to the lead single from their most recent album. Credit for this must go to Dysmorphia, who first noted it to me. The chorus for the song, particularly when it is used in the opening, sounds remarkably like Antichrist Superstar.

My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

^Some elements of that video also remind me of The Man That You Fear's video. Interesting spot.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Wow, never heard of the band but the definitely is a very Manson-esque riff. Good catch, it's funny to see the more musical influence of a band like MM come out years down the road once the young kids who grew up listening to them are now the new wave of young bands to hit the scene.

Original AIDS provider.

^Some elements of that video also remind me of The Man That You Fear's video. Interesting spot.
    Yes, forgot to mention it but that too.

Quote Originally Posted by Cringeon View Post
    Wow, never heard of the band but the definitely is a very Manson-esque riff. Good catch, it's funny to see the more musical influence of a band like MM come out years down the road once the young kids who grew up listening to them are now the new wave of young bands to hit the scene.
    That's the thing that got my attention, on their two previous albums there was nothing like this, and to my knowledge they've never given any mention that could connect them to Manson or suggest they are fans, but their most recent stuff seems to be rather dripping in Manson stylings, whether it is intentional on their part or not.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna