Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 10 FirstFirst 123456789 ... LastLast

Thread: Musical Parallels

I've been suggesting this since the MansonUSA forums were alive and kicking. The intro to Mechanical Animals sounds a lot like the riff around 4 minutes into Metallica's Fade to Black.

[CENTER]
    [CENTER]

Q is for fucking Queen Alexandra's Avatar

That's a good one, zwiebelsaft!

I think there's a small parallel between the title The High End of Low and a verse in Strawberry Fields Forever:
    "No one I think is in my tree, I mean it must be high or low."

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Honestly, most 80's metal can sound like some of the guitar on MA - especially the title track.

Is it just me or is riff the unforgiven by Metallica simular to Coma white

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

I think it's just you, the only MM track that sounds directly Metallica influenced is the break down in Astonishing Panorama which is taken from For Whom the Bell Tolls.

Original AIDS provider.

^ Actually, compare the main riff of that same song to Whiplash.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Administrator
    "Captain Aids"
    Follow Norsefire On Twitter Visit Norsefire's Instagram Channel

This song keeps getting played on an advert in the UK, I always think of We're From America when I hear it.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

That's so weird, I heard that on the radio a week or so ago, and at the time I thought "damn this sounds like a watered-down We're From America", but I forgot all about it. I totally agree, the pace, drums and guitar tone are all the same, it's just not as good a song.
    I think the comparison between Killing Joke's The Wait and parts of We're From America has been mentioned a few times since it was released, but I also hear a bit of Feel Good Hit Of The Summer, and You Think I Ain't Worth A Dollar, But I Feel Like A Millionaire by Queens Of The Stone Age.

The latter comparison is interesting also, as Twiggy's first credited appearance on an album after he left Marilyn Manson was as a (spoken only) radio DJ on Songs For The Deaf, on which ...Millionaire is the first track.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

I think Millionaire is a direct influence on We're from America, it was the first thing that came into mind when I heard the MM track. Same thing with some of the later Goon Moon that was posted on Myspace. The QOTSA style really became much more the focus point versus the stuff on Egg Laying and LLL.

I really love Millionaire and I've never thought about it being similar to We're From America, that's a good shout.
    Also, I agree, Cringeon, I can't remember where but I swear I remember Twiggy talking about desert/stoner rock or something along those lines?
    Obviously he appeared on Songs for the Deaf, and he also appeared in Josh Homme's Desert Sessions. I definitely think during his time away from Manson he was inspired by that sort of music, and it shows, in some of his guitar parts especially, on THEOL.