Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: The President of Whatever - beep beep beep

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

Default And then I'm gone, I'm gone, I'm gone

Last edited by Shangri-LIE; 03-21-2016 at 12:09 PM.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

2. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Default Re: The President of Whatever - beep beep beep

He didn't censor it. The label did. I like the censored version on the album though. The beep kind of adds to it I feel. That song should really be on their live set list if Manson wasn't so fucking lazy and actually varied it.

Also I think with the censoring in general, Manson probably had a lot more leeway when his albums sold really well. Interscope must have expected a smash hit with 'Holy Wood' because of all the media attention from Columbine and the sales of 'Mechanical Animals', so they let him do his thing.

I think by that point even they must have learned that:

a) He sold more records when he grabbed controversial headlines and
    b) The more they allowed him to get away with on the record, the more he'd grab those headlines.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

An inquisitive question, without doubt.

I don't believe the comparison between President Dead and Blank and White has anything to do with record sales or perceived notoriety in relation to record company directives. I don't know if it is seen as common knowledge, but certainly I was aware that the audio at the beginning of President Dead is not a created "lyric" or statement, but is in fact a sample from the initial television report on the death of President Kennedy. You can hear it clearly enough anyway, but it says "The President is dead, let us pray". I forget who the voice is momentarily, I believe it was mentioned perhaps in an interview or something, but nonetheless it is an original sample.

I think the reason why both this and the term "President Dead" are acceptable, is because they do not concern any perceived suggestion or instruction. At no point does Manson say "Make the President dead", or anything of that nature, it's just an esoteric commetary, similar perhaps to the Misfits song Bullet (which is still top of the list of songs I would like to see a Marilyn Manson rendition of...). Blank and White however, whilst it may be fairly easy to see how Manson doesn't refer to the President of America, still has the directive to kill. It may not state which particular person that means, but perhaps in a post 9/11 world the men in suits were simply not prepared to run the risk of it being misconstrued by anyone. Why it was allowed to stream uncensored on MySpace for some time I don't know, because surely that's a more public place for people to be influenced than the confines of their stereo. Maybe that is the record company objective; play the song but as long as we don't make money from any heinous acts in relation to it...

Anyway, the key word, both analytically and relatively could be "headlight". Much like the "rabbit" in another of Manson's lyrics, the President of Holy Wood is "caught", and therefore already dead, and the directive of Blank and White is the "headlight", meaning you can portray the victim but you can't suggest where to locate and kill one.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

5. Like 2 Member(s) liked this post

Good thread.

The idea of Manson attracting any single solitary person or group's (be it among supporters or detractors) attention by attempting to say or do "controversial" things has been a dead fucking end and a dead fucking horse (or rusted, if you like) since Holy Wood. The sooner everyone- including Manson, realizes this the sooner we can all move on.

Anyway, the lyrics in President Dead and Blank and White are totally different. The lyrics in Holy Wood as a whole can be pretty vague/esoteric (unless you're "one of us"), so from the standpoint of censors they're probably much more difficult to gauge. "President Dead" could literally mean anything from presidents who have already died, to the (then) sitting president, or an entirely fictional or metaphorical figure. And the line "The President is dead," is also different. It's a STATEMENT, which is completely different than...

Blank and White, which contains a COMMAND. Which, from a legal/first amendment stance is a very, very different animal. I think when it comes to his lyrics, Manson (unless stated otherwise- notably GAOG) speaks as an American, to Americans, about America. When he extols listeners to "Shoot up the mall, the school..." do we suddenly shift context to "non"-America? No. His meaning is plainly inferred. But even in America, not all speech is protected. It is illegal (since 1917) in the United States to threaten the President's life, incite, or command others to do so. The added words "of Whatever" may be enough to place the lyric in a technical gray space, but certainly not enough for the label's peace of mind.

Further, the fact that Manson's name- even after so many years, occasionally crops up (justifiably or not) during instances of actually fatal, real world violence, makes the Blank and White line an enormous liability from the label's standpoint. They'd have to have been insane to actually let it on the album.

Finally, I don't think the particular line has much of anything to do with many of the other themes or conceptual strains on THEOL, and I don't find the specific line (or beep) particularly poignant either. There's no "statement" here. It's just a wall. Some speech is literally illegal and will get you flat-out censored by your record label- even if you're Marilyn Manson.

I'd quote all three of the previous replies which were all ardently thought out and expressed. But There'd be no point in it seeing as how each of the passages are at such great legnth. Here is part two of the Shockhound interveiw.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dX_3I_Um ... re=related

I understand that it was more of an "instruction" in Blnk and White. But so was "Shoot up the mall and the school". We can gather up all sorts of "instructions" in Mansons lyrics and examine them if you'd like. Maybe when I wake up a bit, if this thread attracts any other points of veiw.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Original AIDS provider.

Just quickly, it was the label's decision to censor it, but wasn't it Manson's choice to put the loud beep in instead of just having silence? So the beep would actually be his artistic choice similar to using a $ for Pretty As A Swastika.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Quote Originally Posted by The Empirical Guy
    Just quickly, it was the label's decision to censor it, but wasn't it Manson's choice to put the loud beep in instead of just having silence? So the beep would actually be his artistic choice similar to using a $ for Pretty As A Swastika.
    Exactly, which is why I posted the link to the interveiw where he explains that.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

I thought it was amusing that Marilyn Manson voted for the first time in his life for a person that he likes, and the label thought he was singing about killing him. :P

11. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

^ An MP3 of the uncernsored version ever make the rounds? I know it was on his Myspace.

Quote Originally Posted by Justin Fenrir
    I thought it was amusing that Marilyn Manson voted for the first time in his life for a person that he likes, and the label thought he was singing about killing him. :P
    Well which President do you think he was talking about then? The fucking President of France?

Yes Manson voted Obama and yes he also alluded to shooting Obama. Because he is Manson.