Nav_image
Nav_image NEWS TOUR BIOGRAPHIES DISCOGRAPHY VIDEOGRAPHY GALLERY INTERVIEWS Nav_image
Nav_image JOURNAL ESSAYS TIMELINE FORUM THEATRE SITE INFO Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 18 of 19 FirstFirst ... 8141516171819 LastLast

Thread: Marilyn Manson In Popular Culture

Quote Originally Posted by Hazekiah View Post
    "M-A-N-S-O-N M-O-U-S-E," lol.

Not to mention the blackface and antisemitism!

And don't forget that Disney wouldn't allow Manson's/Helnwein's planned cover with the Mickey Mouse Club ears because they're trademarked...so Manson just "dilated" the ear over his contact lens, tr0llolololol.

Also THIS. They literally reconfigured the podium for the sake of a dig at Disney.

XD XD XD
    Good, was hoping someone else would pick up the baton and pass it on down stream (by steam boat) so to speak. :)
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

Quote Originally Posted by Enname View Post
    The brief version:

Throughout the entire period of Golden Age of the Grotesque Manson is playing the role of Mickey Mouse (although that image is from a photoshoot for Paper magazine and The Pale Emperor in 2015). The lyrics to Ka-boom Ka-boom - "I'm the leader of the club and I've shrugged off my mouse ears." Also he painted a Mickey shrugging off the top of his head - 'Faunadestia'. Helwein's black and white face versions of Manson as Mickey were a fundamental part of the artwork for Golden Age of the Grotesque - they should be in the image gallery of PM. Definitely at the heart of the Celebritarianism and Weimar Degenerate Art (Expressionism, what became Pop Art) project that he had going on. Mickey Mouse was always the whipping boy of the Nazi party as far as Degenerate Art went, and five seconds with the Wikipedia for Mickey should give you some idea of the meanings by the cartoon on the US side. So he was dressing as the very epitome of American culture and everything that should be suppressed and then leading an artistic revolution.
    Also this time period that the album is basically a giant homage to, the 1940s-50s, is colloquially known as Disney’s Golden Age of Animation. It is referred to as such, verbatim. I also always felt Mickey was present as a source of inspiration and derivation since day 0, and played a big role in making Portrait though not necessarily an overt one. As everyone’s said Mickey/Disney is so heavily entrenched in American cultire and the portrait of an American family. It’s often dressed up as childhood innocence when it’s actually a source of moral degeneration that aims to conform. “Dope Hat” always especially reminded me of Mickey with the line “we all know the hat is wearing me” because it evokes an image of a performer on strings being forced to go out on stage against his will or who has no idea he’s even attached to strings and becomes overpowered by the (ahem) stage persona and performance art. Steamboat Willy is the perfect depiction of “Ignorance is Bliss” by Walt, which is just one step away from Willy Wonka’s darker portrayal down the chocolate river, bringing us back to Dope Hat and Portrait.

You people know a lot about Manson
    - I feel kind of silly being here. I don’t know anything, I just like the music and you’re nice people as far as I can tell LOL

Anyway, thanks for explaining.

/going to do some “wiki homework”.

Quote Originally Posted by FeedYourHead View Post
    Also this time period that the album is basically a giant homage to, the 1940s-50s, is colloquially known as Disney’s Golden Age of Animation. It is referred to as such, verbatim. I also always felt Mickey was present as asource of inspiration and derivation since day 0, and played a big role in making Portrait though not necessarily and overt one. As everyone’s said Mickey/Disney is so heavily entrenched in American cultire and the portrait of an American family. It’s often dressed up as childhood innocence when it’s actually a source of moral degeneration that aims to conform. “Dope Hat” always especially reminded me of Mickey with the line “we all know the hat is wearing me” because it evokes an image of a performer on strings being forced to go out on stage against his will or who has no idea he’s even attached to strings and becomes overpowered by the (ahem) stage persona and performance art. Steamboat Willy is the perfect depiction of “Ignorance is Bliss” by Walt, which is just one step away from Willy Wonka’s darker portrayal down the chocolate river, bringing us back to Dope Hat and Portrait.

Nice. I had forgotten Potrait, although I have always liked the use of this in 'Dope Hat' and the intro.

The steamboat also connects nicely back to things like Steamboat Bill Jr of Buster Keaton (and Charlie Chaplin on the English side), and other similar styles of comedy and entertainment that spring right out of the late nineteenth-century to the mid twentieth-century vaudeville tradition both in the US, and of course in Germany and continental Europe. Such making of the vaudevillian and carny traditions mainstream is also (on the US side, and what Haz was referring to in one sentence) is the where the origins of a lot of black face minstrelsy transmuted into leverage for immigrants as a means to 'whiten them' and stop anti-semitism/anti-Irish and become 'all American.' As a side, there is quite a lot of interesting research on the connections between the Jewish and African American communities during this period in music and film, but equally up until The Beastie Boys and advocacy for social change. And Manson taps into all of these things.

Quote Originally Posted by Plutonia View Post
    You people know a lot about Manson - I feel kind of silly being here. I don’t know anything, I just like the music and you’re nice people as far as I can tell LOL
    Why feel silly? All of us started from nothing. May as well ask, it saves you having to go read the Masonwiki/Wikipedia/Nachtkabarett for days.

Not like any of us mind talking about Manson. At length :P But be warned, you could get lot of answers. So ... brace?
    Last edited by Enname; 01-21-2018 at 06:12 PM.
    Quid ignorantia sit multi ignorant.

@Enname

I’m the new girl in the class or it feels like when you join forums like this LOL.

But yes, everyone has been there.
    I did read up on a lot though :P

Strange & Unusual Sinner Halo Infinity's Avatar

That second reaction video was really funny.

MMA and Manson, two great thing that go great together!

"And We Will Sleep on the Skin of Its Nightmares..."

Strange & Unusual Sinner Halo Infinity's Avatar

A Psycho's Path Nemoris Inferioris's Avatar

Lol the dude is pissed because the set was cut like 20 minutes because Manson almost died? Lol

Memento Mori
    You Pays Your Money, You Takes Your Choice.
    619208 919 4514
    -The Divine Trickster-
    I Was Invited To Eat The Young
    It's A Poor Sort Of Memory That Only Works Backwards.