Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 4 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unsung praise for The Golden Age of Grotesque

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default Unsung praise for The Golden Age of Grotesque

I was just talking to rararoxsox today, and in the brief time when I wasn't mentioning how lovely I think crippled_plaything is, we spoke about The Golden Age of Grotesque, and I am of the opinion that it is a very underrated album, both between fans and wider audiences. For a record that had to follow the damn tryptych of all things, it has a lot more depth than I think it is given credit for. It is amongst Manson's most experimental albums lyrically, the choices he made with words throughout are unlike any other he has produced, and I make a point of listening a lot closer than some might. There are a lot of samples and things going on in the background on the record than I think instantly jump out at you.

Also, some of the ferocity seems to be overlooked, perhaps because the structure of songs is quite tight throughout. But listen to something like Vodevil, and pay attention to Manson's vocals, he's fucking rasping there, moreso than perhaps a lot of his records. Or the trickery at the end of Slutgarden, it has some real similarity to Antichrist Superstar in some places, and there is an atmosphere on Spade that I think has only been captured on Devour otherwise.

I think a lot of fans are idiots, they took the more public face of Manson around the time and afterwards leading up to Lest We Forget and characterised him a little softly, but there are some real moments of animalistic fury and violence on The Golden Age of Grotesque, that I'm annoyed don't get more recognition. I don't require anyone else's validation for enjoyment of an album, but it would be nice to see more discussion of this between people who think about the art behind Manson's work more than the average fool might, and that is what people here are best at, so I hope this inspires some ideas.

In my opinion, the album was an experiment in noise terrorism in some places, but one that cleverly masquerades as a normal rock and roll album, and some ears took that at face value, which ironically, the album artwork and some of the lyrics reference deliberately.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Default Re: Unsung praise for The Golden Age of Grotesque

Well said, dahhhling. You know my opinions on this album, and you also know it's my favorite.

'Nuff said.

First I thought it was just okay, but it has really grown on me. It's definitely the most heavy album in terms of sound and the most straightforward. During the lead-up to THEOL everyone talked about how it might be "just as heavy as ACSS", but I think that album is more gritty and menacing rather than heavy. It's true Golden Age is overlooked too often.

I like it a lot nowadays, it's really danceable and I think it has some rap influences as well (because of his collaboration with Eminem?). I never understood why only mObscene got into setlists in the last few years, what crowd wouldn't go nuts at Use Your Fist or Vodevil? I just told this to a friend, this tour could definitely use more GAOG.

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

I've always liked this album and its historical aspects with Wiemar Republic Germany, Nazism and early 20's and 30's cultural references and imagery. I'm a history buff and especially of the 1920's-1950's with WWII and world struggles so this album is a joy.

I find the the production crisp and the artwork and imagery to be darker than it appears. The sounds that were made are also different than anything he's done before. This had a solid line-up as well. Skold made a good addition after Twiggy's departure.

The Grotesk Burlesk Tour is my favorite tour alongside Smells Like Children as far as imagery and antics go. The entire stage set up and Manson's attire were well done to preserve and resemble early 20th century fashion.
    I use words sharp as a sword

The Golden Age of Grotesque is one of my favourite albums. I agree, it has been very underrated, but as long I can listen to it at home and enjoy it all alone, fuck other people opinions. It sounds like a kick in the stomach and it has power and depth. Also, its atmosphere goes along with the imagery which is simply stunning.

Cause it breaks my heart that we live this way

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

Quote Originally Posted by Enigma
    It sounds like a kick in the stomach and it has power and depth. Also, its atmosphere goes along with the imagery which is simply stunning.
    Manson once called the sound "Getting kicked in the balls while licking the floor of a men's restroom."
    I use words sharp as a sword

Follow absinthe bunny On Twitter

Quote Originally Posted by Nick Sixx.
    Quote Originally Posted by Enigma
    It sounds like a kick in the stomach and it has power and depth. Also, its atmosphere goes along with the imagery which is simply stunning.
    Manson once called the sound "Getting kicked in the balls while licking the floor of a men's restroom."
    Or as I call it: 'friday night'.
    NEW WEBSITE LAYOUT UPLOADED 22/09/2013:

I think its a great album. Vodeville is one of my favourite manson songs.

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

I always liked the album as well. I listened to it for months after it came out. My least favorite song might be Para-Noir (mostly due to the lack of lyrics and over use of the woman giving reasons) but sonically, it's good.

I like the The Golden Age of Grotesque more than Eat Me, Drink Me. EMDM is good, but I much prefer listening to most of the songs on GAOG over most of the songs on EMDM. I really like the production on GAOG a lot as well.

For me the GAOG just like PoaF can be listened to in almost any mood.

Thank god a thread like this exists, I don't give a shit what others say about this album I love the music on it and the imagery and references. Plus spade definately has to be one of my favourite Manson songs.
    http://i220.photobucket.com/albums/dd59/Bevz91/AA4.jpg