Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Unsung praise for The Golden Age of Grotesque

Original AIDS provider.

Default Re: Unsung praise for The Golden Age of Grotesque

Yeah, I like this album and never had any problem with it. It's strong enough to stand up on it's own for sure, and has some great songs. My favourite would probably be Spade.

My criticism of the album would be minor things, such as in my opinion Skold not being as strong a song writer as Twiggy. Of course I can't say for sure but I think the better moments on that album probably came from John5 rather than Skold. I also don't like the way the drums were handled. I remember reading an interview where Ginger said he had a disc with the songs given to him, with all the programming done, and he basically had to play bits on a real kit and fill in some blanks. I've always felt that when Skold came in to the band he pushed out Ginger's ability as a programmer, which is a shame as he did a great job on the previous albums. I'm not a Skold hater though, it's great album and overall I like it.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Manson once called the sound "Getting kicked in the balls while licking the floor of a men's restroom."
    He always has the right words to describe it.

And I know a lot of people will hate me for this, but in my personal opinion, The Golden Age of Grotesque is much better than EM,DM and THEoL. Manson seems sure of himself and prooves he doesn't need to attack the church or the government to create good art. He is art himself. And he is FIGHT art.

Ps: SPADE might be one of the best songs I've ever heard, and so is This is The New Shit.

Cause it breaks my heart that we live this way

Silent Catalyst

I absolutely loved the imagery and stuff... but I just couldn't get as into the music as I could with all of the other Manson albums. I do agree it was a great album overall though. It's just my least favorite. I liked some songs a lot more than the others though; Doll-Dagga, the title track, and Spade.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Not that it surprises me, because there aren't any idiots here, but I'm really pleased to see so much love for Spade.

When I first heard The Golden Age of Grotesque, I think I didn't really know what to anticipate, so I let it wash over me somewhat. But later that year I started to get more immersed in the whole concept of the record, and I gathered that Manson's intention was not to replicate the sound of cabaret or vaudeville (as so many people assumed), but rather to use that as a motif for how guitar driven rock and perhaps rap had become less about rebellion and protest, and closer to coarse comedy or stage tunes (in a modern context). It is a post 'Nu-Metal' album, and I think it is quite knowing in that respect. It doesn't seek to capitalise on that sound, but rather it reminds the listener that the structure of metal and "heavy" music should be matched with passion and animosity, not crude jokes and gurning men nearing thirty on skateboards.

If you like, it is the post "Armageddon" of Holy Wood in an album. When Adam Kadmon realised that the revolution was "full of shit", he destroyed the world with one simple hole, ushering in the "Dirty Word Reich". It recognises that you can "say what you like", and uses that to deliberately alter and abuse language. It's a statement about itself, in the sense that it is proud of the fact that it exists. Its knees are very much bent at the Altar of Manson's Ego
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

I have a complete love/hate relationship with this album.

Coming off the heels of Holywood, the music (or at least the majority of it) of tGAoG really came off to me as cookie-cutter, over-produced, over-thought yet little substance, nu-metal inspired rock. Granted there are some amazing moments (title track, Slutgarden, Spade, Saint, Paranoir) - I just can't find myself really getting into sometimes. I know the point was to make rock anthems that "everyone could sing along to", but at times the music reminds me more of Linkin Park rather than MM.

On the flip side, when I go a few months without listening to this album, I find myself so amazed by the lyrical content. His lyrical phrasing, and just sheer execution of his words is some of the most inventive and creative stuff he's ever done to date. Granted, it was more about him than the world, yet he still came up with some amazing imagery and metaphors to paint the picture.

I think a big thing for me was the sudden shift in style after Twiggy left, but I totally understand his approach and desire to recreate the band image. It was a great effort to instill they were a united force to be reckoned with; I just don't think the band at the time was the right one to follow through MM's vision.

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by S.D.
    If you like, it is the post "Armageddon" of Holy Wood in an album. When Adam Kadmon realised that the revolution was "full of shit", he destroyed the world with one simple hole, ushering in the "Dirty Word Reich". It recognises that you can "say what you like", and uses that to deliberately alter and abuse language. It's a statement about itself, in the sense that it is proud of the fact that it exists. Its knees are very much bent at the Altar of Manson's Ego
    That's an interesting thing to say, considering that in the lead up to THEOL's release you (it may have been someone else, correct me if I'm wrong) presented the idea it could be a conclusion to a second triptych of GAOG, EMDM, THEOL, and explained how even though it wasn't as explicit as the main ACSS, MA, HW triptych, there was still a general theme running throughout. Now having heard THEOL for a few months and considering the sense of "things to come" many have gotten from the ending with 15, and you linking GAOG/ HW like this, would you say we could we be looking at a triptych of EMDM, THEOL, next album with GAOG being the transition point and glue between the two?

Also, I forgot to mention my love for the title track too. The piano on that song is just delightful.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

The only song that I liked off of this album and still do is Spade.
    I just can't get into it.Perhaps for me it's too new metal sounding,over produced and childish.I hated the look of the band at that time and everything.
    I never have been a fan of the more childish sounding Marilyn Manson songs,such as Armageddon and Dope Hat.
    I really disliked Skold too and I hear his influence from KMFDM too much in the album.In Eat Me,Drink Me,which I like,I think Skold is more in the background so I don't connect him much to it and it certainly doesn't sound like KMFDM material.
    I didn't like the covers of Tainted Love or Personal Jesus from around this time either.
    It's just a matter of taste really,hit or miss.

Quote Originally Posted by sugarbaby
    I just can't get into it.Perhaps for me it's too new metal sounding,over produced and childish.I hated the look of the band at that time and everything. I never have been a fan of the more childish sounding Marilyn Manson songs,such as Armageddon and Dope Hat.
    Childish? What the hell is childish about it? Being playful doesn't turn you childish. Grow up.

Cause it breaks my heart that we live this way

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Enigma, no need to throw attacks. sugarbaby is absolutely entitled to their own opinion, especially since they expressed it in a calm manner, and even said it just comes down to personal tastes.

I agree with most of you here, I also think its one of the most underrated albums, which i love to bits. It was the first one I ever heard, my introduction to Manson.