Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If You Live With Apes...

Default If You Live With Apes...

I was gonna write an entire analyzation of this topic, but I am lazy and will just get my point across quickly.

As Manson fans we know that Manson has always used the apes and monkeys as analogies or metaphors in his releases. From the "monkey trinity" from Portrait to Baboon Rape Party in Golden. There are of course connections to Nietzsche and other philosophies that Manson delves in. It seems that the monkey business is nowhere to be found in his last two releases..why do you think this is? Was this a conscious decision? His other trademark reference, cars, remain intact...why stop monkeying around?

Default Re: If You Live With Apes...

I think this just has to do with the different nature of the last 2 albums. They deal more with his emotions and personal dilemmas than with society or a message that he is trying to get across. Monkeys or apes just wouldn't make any contextual sense if they were incorporated into the last 2 albums.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by antichristangel
    Monkeys or apes just wouldn't make any contextual sense if they were incorporated into the last 2 albums.
    It could be funny though, imagine a song called You And Me And A Monkey Makes 3! Or Unkillable Monkey!

Anyway, I'm not sure if your question was inspired by the recent article on the 3 Wise Monkeys at The Nachtkabarett, but I added some thoughts to that piece with notes and images I had saved, it might be of some interest, it is over there in their analysis section.

As antichristangel has suggested, the thematic of monkeys may not have a place in some of Manson's more recent works, but at the same time, some of the thoughts I offered suggest that the animal (when "not mechanical"), is often a figure of persecution or scapegoating (a literal lamb of god if you will), and other figures and animals have been used in place of the monkey in more recent works, causing Manson to ask "Are you the rabbit or the headlight", figuring the position of abuse given/received. After all it's all meat to be "devoured" right?

[center:3i5rnoch]"Could you stop the meat from thinking for a second before I swallow all of it"
    "I'm most monster with my groan box in the 'Meat Show'"[/center:3i5rnoch]

[center:3i5rnoch]

'Most Monster'[/center:3i5rnoch]
    [center:3i5rnoch]THE MEAT SHOW[/center:3i5rnoch]

You not the "12 Trees Of Beef Heads" in that list, which is where I presume our erstwhile Swedish counterpart at MansonUSA, who has yet to show his face here took his moniker from...
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

^ No, I had not seen that S.D, but I definitely checked it out. An excellent analysis of the ape in Manson's work. Very interesting about Manson trading one animal for another in Are You the Rabbit? I had not thought about trading one sacrificial offering for another.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedGod
    Very interesting about Manson trading one animal for another in Are You the Rabbit? I had not thought about trading one sacrificial offering for another.
    [center:3d31j7ga]"The rabbit's just a monkey in disguise"[/center:3d31j7ga]
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Visit Freeston3r's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by S.D.
    Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedGod
    Very interesting about Manson trading one animal for another in Are You the Rabbit? I had not thought about trading one sacrificial offering for another.
    [center:9mslusb4]"The rabbit's just a monkey in disguise"[/center:9mslusb4]

S.D your too good at analyzing things :D

Married to Suedehead Shangri-LIE's Avatar
    Follow Shangri-LIE On Twitter

I believe that Manson uses Monkey analogies because Monkies have AIDS and Manson has Rock n Roll AIDS. Therefore, if you live with apes, man, you've got teh Rock n Roll AIDS.
    OMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOMNOM

Monkeys or apes just wouldn't make any contextual sense if they were incorporated into the last 2 albums.
    It could be funny though, imagine a song called You And Me And A Monkey Makes 3! Or Unkillable Monkey!
    Yes, you're right, monkeys certainly would have spiced things up a bit, what about Running to the Edge of the World with a Monkey and Pretty As A (Chimpanzee)?
    lol

Another example to be used in the most recent album would be that of the werewolf, or "rapist werewolves" to be exact. It is used almost in the exact manner he would refer to humanity as monkeys (granted let's be honest and acknowledge a lot of the monkey symbolism came from the fact it reeeeeally pisses off Christian extremists when you discuss evolution). Both terms are usually use as scapegoats or a way of hiding from their true selves. The monkey comes from those blinding themselves from the fact they have instincts, etc. Werewolves are creatures who are just blatantly hidden and attack when their true forms are shown.

so as S.D. said, the use of the "monkey" or animal symbolism is still there, but he's just using different species lately. Whether this is intentional or not I have no clue, but it is an interesting point that the cars continue but the monkeys have been quiet as of late.

...a..god..amongst..insects...

in your dreams

Yes, you're right, monkeys certainly would have spiced things up a bit, what about Running to the Edge of the World with a Monkey and Pretty As A (Chimpanzee)?
    lol
    How about, Wight Spider Monkey?