Quote Originally Posted by secretsquirrely
so as S.D. said, the use of the "monkey" or animal symbolism is still there, but he's just using different species lately. Whether this is intentional or not I have no clue, but it is an interesting point that the cars continue but the monkeys have been quiet as of late.
The way I see it, it's always been about the difference between the "Mechanical" and the "Animate". Charles Manson had a song called Mechanical Man, which Marilyn Manson appropriated for a song regarding a monkey, thus establishing the evolutionary link between apes and man later explored on Holy Wood. As a precursor to Holy Wood though, that link was extended to Mechanical Animals, proposing that man had indeed, as characterised by Charles Manson, become non-mammalian; mechanical. Knowing that humans are mechanical animals, Manson's hand explores them and himself as such, using various creatures as the basis for this. So much of his work is about the expression of emotions that it seems befitting, knowing that Manson considers one specific statement on The High End of Low to describe he and his band, that they are depicted thus:-

[center:kesz9vhb]Four Rusted Horses
---------------
M E C H A N I C A L
A N I M A L S[/center:kesz9vhb]

Much like cattle "hung with velvet rope", the 'Four Rusted Horses' symbolise Manson and his work being turned into something unimportant, the greater ethos being missed by people who aren't good enough to appreciate it in the first place, suggesting that much like Alchemy --- [Because Marilyn Manson is an Alchemical man] --- it should be used in order to strengthen and teach, rather than to be ridiculed and belittled by genuine mechanical animals. After all, "if we cry, we will rust", suggests that despite being rendered mechanical like others, the 'Four Rusted Horses' still retain enough humanity to bear witness to Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon.