Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Smells Like Children, 14 years later

Default Re: Smells Like Children, 14 years later

I like SLC, and I see it as an extension of Portrait and love the idea of doing a remix ep with some covers inbetween major cd releases. when Sweet dreams came out i imediately loved it and mentioned to the music director of a local radio station how great it was and that you could "almost play it on the radio". and the guy replied "yeah, almost". and then he went into his talk about how its cool that some bands/songs you really like arn't on the radio because it keeps them more special to you etc. it wasnt too long after that MTV picked it up and the station had to play it because it became a monster hit. it was awesome getting to hear manson, any manson on the radio and the video ruled mtv.
    it also brought a whole new crowd of fans to manson who became dubbed "sweet dreamers" to establish their point of entry to Manson because the older more original fans somehow felt threatened i guess. personally, i dont care where in the time line someone gets into manson.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by archdandydotcom
    it also brought a whole new crowd of fans to manson who became dubbed "sweet dreamers" to establish their point of entry to Manson because the older more original fans somehow felt threatened i guess.
    Haha! I love it how every step of the Manson canon has people who say or do this, claiming they were either there from before Portrait of an American Family in Florida, or they were totally hardcore and first heard Antichrist Superstar and think everything since it is shit. Idiots.

1998 was when I first heard the band, and Mechanical Animals was the record, and I don't care who knows it, there's nothing special about when you got into a band unless it has a personal meaning to you, it's not a licesne to make people younger or who heard later material first feel bad.

i dont care where in the time line someone gets into manson.
    Precisely, it's the enthusiasm that counts, which you could have in abundance if you first heard them three days ago or fifteen years ago.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

"sweet dreamers" also represented the more mainstream rock fan. some of the original fans seemed to think manson would always remain their champion of the fringe. and that manson would always be the patron saint of all the misfits, and outsider kids and that just as the mainstream rejected them, so too would manson always reject the mainstream. but i think manson has always wanted to take it as far as he could and be as big as he could, and to me, seeing manson become mainstream would be a victory and awesome. just like it was cool seeing manson in clubs filled with the coolest most elite kids in town, it was also awesome seeing him play in arenas filled with just about everyone and you'd get that enormous feeling of power and solidarity.

Eeeh... I was a two-year-old when it was released :) and the first song I heard of it was Sweet Dreams... and I love the album.... :D

Just to support archdandy's point:

I know people that have been fans for 2 or 3 years, and they somehow enjoy more the whole "fan" experience than some "Oh I've been there since the Refrigerator cassette days" people.

I admit it: I became a fan mostly due to Sweet Dreams going mainstream back in the day... but hey! didn't Manson himself said that, in order to spread your message, you must first enter into the mainstream scene, and then overcome it?

SLC came out when I was 7 year's old. I got into it late in the game. I think I bought it a few months after GAOG came out. And I became a Manson fan shortly after Holy Wood was out.

I never cared much for SLC. What I do appreciate (to an extent much may not realize after saying I didnt like the record) is the imagery and the overall idea. This album is, to me, the final "Spooky Kid" output in the sense of the idea from the Spooky Kids days to Portrait. Antirchrist Superstar was the bitter end to the cartoonish wacky days.....Not completely. Manson is living and breathe his art in the fullest and that is one reason why I love him, so I think he always has that side to him. And I also think that side came out a little in GAOG like in tracks like Doll Dagga Buzz Buzz Zigety Zag.

And yes I think "I Wanna Kill You Like They Do In The Movies" has a little Spooky kids in there...a much more serious side, but it's still trippy as hell and psychedelic and amazing!

I'm glad SLC wasnt an album. If it was, it would have sucked. But it does great as an E.P. and my favourite track would have to be Rock N Roll Nigger!

I also love the soundckips of Mansons grandma and the Texas Chainsaw Massacre intro to I Put A Spell On You (a song that I didnt care for at first but now love!)

I'm not afraid to say that I hated the recording of Sweet Dreams. I think my fellings would be different if I had been around when it came out. Sure, then it would have blown me away. But discovering this years later...I dont think it's at all as good as Sweet Dreams is live. On Last Tour On Earth...THAT is the Sweet Dreams I wanna hear. So much energy and so much creepier.

Or even on the Holy Wood Dvd. That Sweet Dreams was great too. I think if Manson would re-record an album version of Sweet Dreams these days, it would sound way better. But they were young and still trying things out.

I sincerely wish Down In The Park would have been on that EP. That is one of my all time favourite Manson covers.

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by S.D.
    Additionally, it's a fucking powerful record in some places, the Organ Grinder mix that manifests in Kiddie Grinder is brutal, and I remember being really amazed when I head it first, recognising Manson's background chants of "fuck, fuck, fuck, fuck...", which if you listen to them now, bear some resemblance to the similar "cut, cut, cut, cut..." of I Want To Kill You Like They Do In The Movies.
    Indeed it does. I hadn't noticed that, but it's so obvious now. It's almost a perfect match. I do smile every time in that part towards the end... "I like to take little boys and put my finger in their...." =p

I also think that in relating this record to the second tenure of Twiggy in Marilyn Manson, it is perhaps not accidental whatsoever that Rock N' Roll Nigger has been a permanent fixture in the post Rape of the World live sets, as it was the 15th song on that album.
    Ahhh, nice. I've noticed a lot of the sets hover around 15 songs too, though some have a few more or less.

Also, does anyone else, when listening to Sympathy For The Parents, pick up on the link to Arma-Goddamn-Motherfuckin'-Geddon...? From the Donahue audio, Manson states "I think that moshing is a sign of what Christians would call, the Apocalypse". It can be suggested then, that moshing is in fact, a form of "Nervous Breakdance"...
    Gah, a great little find and link up there! Satanic girls gone wild?

Haha! I love it how every step of the Manson canon has people who say or do this, claiming they were either there from before Portrait of an American Family in Florida, or they were totally hardcore and first heard Antichrist Superstar and think everything since it is shit. Idiots.

1998 was when I first heard the band, and Mechanical Animals was the record, and I don't care who knows it, there's nothing special about when you got into a band unless it has a personal meaning to you, it's not a licesne to make people younger or who heard later material first feel bad.
    The first Manson song I heard was The Dope Show when it was the lead single for MA, but I was younger and so I didn't really get in to Manson until GAOG era. However, even though that was the release at the time it was Holy Wood that got me in... strange.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Spawning Forth The Snake spaceSuicide's Avatar
    Follow spaceSuicide On Twitter Add spaceSuicide on Facebook Follow spaceSuicide on Tumblr

I've been so busy ergh.

I love this EP. I can listen to it beginning to end (Excluding May Cause...). It's wonderful.

For how little this thing was and how unsatisfied the band was with this I can definitely sense the dark subject matter radiating for it on every track and I applaud it for what it is.

Each song gives me a shallow swim in dark waters full of abuse, corrupted adults, innocent children, lack of morals and the raw sex (yes, actually). It's all so very childlike and surreal though keeps a level of a real factor to it.

I love the Donahue sampling tracks, Scabs, Guns and Peanut Butter, Sweet Dreams and Kiddie Grinder most. They're all so filthy in the sound department.

I can state that every single time I've listened to Dancing With the One Legged... I bust out laughing until the opening lines of Rock 'n' Roll Nigger begin. The black guy and that stupid woman with my Sympathy to the Parents is just too funny.

This was my second Marilyn Manson purchase, behind Antichrist Superstar.
    I use words sharp as a sword

I remember being a teenager when SLC came out. All of my friends were into Manson since Portrait and I was slightly interested. It was until 1998 until I fully became a Manson fan.

Anyways, I love the look the band had for this album. Far superior to Portrait and only paving a path for what was to come. I love Diary of a dope fiend and Dance of the dope hats. Rock n' roll nigger is a classic. I put a spell on you is a cover I wish was played live.

sorry, maybe someone the not about this things
    Do you love your guns?
    Do you love your god and your government?
    Let me hear you goddamn it