Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rhianna American Music Awards Performance Manson Influenced?

Default Rhianna American Music Awards Performance Manson Influenced?

[center:3qts7nty][youtube:3qts7nty]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rAjKedDn7K8[/youtube:3qts7nty][/center:3qts7nty]
    Rhianna American Music Awards 11.22.2009

I just walked into the next room and noticed a darkened stage with blank television sets lighting a figure dressed in white strapped to a gigantic X, Immediately I was reminded of the Inauguration of the Mechanical Christ intro, The X spins aroun Rhianna steps off and is wearing a white outfit with triangular shoulders much like Omega, Her hair is even styled in a similar fashion. and it gets even more interesting as the stage is lit up and you realize that the shoulders are completely covered in bullet casings like spikes, Police in Riot Gear are dancing around with shotguns in squared masks which reminded me of the Disposable Teens video. Suddenly the bullets turn into red lasers on her shoulders almost exactly like the directors cut of Arma-god-damn-motherfuckin-geddon. the bullet casings projected laser-sighted scopes as sniper rifles and such are equipped with. I was really amazed... I am a very tough critic in my own opinion and Rhianna pulled that off well and spun it off as her own similar to the way Manson does with Bowie. It was really impressive to say the least.

Default Re: Rhianna American Music Awards Performance Manson Influenced?

LOL. I think someone's going to far into the rabbit hole...

(seriously):
    Nah!, the X cross thing is somewhat similar... but not enough to call it "influenced by".

In fact, the initial video secuence reminded me more of the "I, Robot" movie or that Garbage music video they did for an 007 movie, "the world is not enough".

And just for the record, i watched the whole thing with the mute option.

Original AIDS provider.

Yeah, I agree the similarities are obvious. I would suspect that any influence is not one her part though, but a staging or costume director. I'd also say she could benefit more by taking influence from his music rather than stage act, as that song was terrible.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Rumor has it she was Manson's first choice to be cast as the girl getting beaten in the ' Running to the Edge' video.

Such a brutal beating.

Silent Catalyst

Interesting. Hm, Manson's influence may have been a possibility =)

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by ThreeEyedGod
    Rumor has it she was Manson's first choice to be cast as the girl getting beaten in the ' Running to the Edge' video.

Such a brutal beating.
    "Life imitates art far more than art imitates Life." -- Oscar Wilde.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Nice examples of 'Cynicism 101', as ever.

Do I think that Rihanna or her stage designers and choreographers were point blank, without question inspired by Marilyn Manson music videos and live shows when creating this performance? No, not necessarily, but what I am able to do, as ever, is appreciate the observation being made here for what it is; two potentially opposed cultural icons (in their fields at least), being compared through use of very similar aesthetics, movements, clothing and motifs. Great, as far as I am concerned, figures such as Lady Gaga have made it plain in the last year or so that the schmaltzy ghetto schtick of people like Fergie and Beyonce (recent collaboration not withstanding) is tired and boring, and that more eccentric, theatrical representations of pop music are exciting and more of a spectacle to behold.

In this performance, comparisons with Manson aside, I see equal layers of Queen (Freddie Mercury's stage movements with the half-length mic stand and strut mimicked almost exactly), Bowie's Ziggy Stardust and (gasp), Gary Glitter. All three were named as direct influences on Mechanical Animals, both as a record and live show, so yes, actually, whether Manson was the instigator for this performance, in a round about way, his sources were hers. The lasers and flickering TV screens are debateable, it may or may not be a proliferation, but then again, they're not exactly uncommon stage props/features, so it could just be a nice coinicidence that they fit in equally. Am I complaining either way? No, because I like extravangant renditions of music more than something boring and predictable, this video was fun, and hats off to Rihanna for doing something more in the vein of pop performers like Madonna and Kylie Minogue, who have both been borrowing from the same pool of rock and roll theatre as Marilyn Manson for decades now. Incidentally, as Jakob Synn noted, this is not the first time an overlap of imagery has occurred between Manson and Rihanna: Masonic Cap

But, apparently having a little fun and recognising that isn't enough for some people, the identification of this link has to be belittled, with snide remarks about rabbit holes and Rihanna being the victim of domestic abuse summing up what people can offer a discussion. Well done, pat yourselves on the back.

Quote Originally Posted by Mexicanfiend
    And just for the record, i watched the whole thing with the mute option.
    How incredibly open-minded of you.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

I am another yourself. Dronepool's Avatar

^ Her music is wretched so I don't blame him. Being too open minded can be hazardous sometimes. Too be honest, I won't even bother playing it more than skimping about 30 seconds through out the entire video because I can't stand this genre in any way. It really annoys me :-P

As for the thread topic, she's probably more inspired by Madonna and some other rock acts her agents thought of for her. I don't think just because it's a bit theatrical and uses TV's mean's it's Manson influence.

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Quote Originally Posted by prescribeddrone
    ^ Her music is wretched so I don't blame him.
    You feel it's wretched, which doesn't mean that it is. And I blame him because it's hypocritical to come and debunk someone's thoughts when you didn't even bother processing them properly.

As for the thread topic, she's probably more inspired by Madonna and some other rock acts her agents thought of for her. I don't think just because it's a bit theatrical and uses TV's mean's it's Manson influence.
    Agreed, and it says as much in the post I wrote above. I wouldn't use the word "influence" either, but I like seeing the link being made, and I enjoyed the video. The majority of the time I wish people could just drop their inhibitions and think "I know there is no definite way of proving a link between two things, and more often than not these observations are coincidence, but hey, isn't it a bit of a giggle seeing what's out there?"
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

Wait a minute, S.D., are you calling me out?

It is something I don't really want to even to provoke. We've never had a problem, and I don't see why this thread should mark the beginning of one.

Just to clarify: am I an hypocrite because I wasn't interested in the song, yet at the same time I watched the video just to see what godspeed was talking about? come on, don't make me laugh. I like some Rihanna songs, but honestly, I'm not really interested on her new material, at all. I have plenty of other music to enjoy, and I think that discarding a pop song won't affect my open-mindness. I don't really have to say this, but you have no idea of how many different styles, genres ans bands I listen to. You would be fucking surprised.

Plus, those were my thoughts about this video and godspeed's perception, and I won't change them, just because some other MM fans agree with him. It's his perception, and I have nothing against it, but I don't share it. OR is it now that being a fan implies that we musst find a correlation in everything? don't fuck with me.

I have the same right to talk about it as much as you guys have the right to analyse it and find similarities. But, besides the X-cross thing, I don't really see anything else to be called an "influence". And, in the end, that's the purpose of this thread, isn't it?

So, stop being so uptight and carry on with the discussion, if you would like to.