Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Rhianna American Music Awards Performance Manson Influenced?

Administrator
    Unkillable Party Monster

Default Re: Rhianna American Music Awards Performance Manson Influenced?

I says right there that I also don't think it to be Manson influenced, I've said that in this thread and to [god]speed personally, he knows I'm more lucid in what I see and perceive than he sometimes is and that's a mutually respected, personal prerogative. As you've said, an opinion doesn't have to be shared, but so often at the moment it seems easier for people (no, I'm not angling that at any one person) to just be flippant about something than to play along and say "sure, I'll see something interesting there, even from a different, more realistic perspective".

And no, don't be ridiculous, I'm not "calling out" anyone, I'm certain discussions of this nature can get a little heated without it reflecting on what we think of each other as people, you're a good friend and have been for years, this is merely a topic of discussion about a music video.

I'm just getting really sick of this persistent rigidity when it comes to even trying to take varied approaches to culture. The accusation of close-mindedness was nothing to do with what I think of your personality or what I am certain are wide and varied music tastes, it was more relative to (and it's not just you, as I've stated) the manner in which at the moment, people are sort of regressing on themselves and seemingly wanting to back away from wider perceptions of music and art, whether stemming from Manson's hand and intention or not. We all know there is only so much gold at the end of a black rainbow, Manson isn't a never-ending pit of cultural references and seamlessly interwoven thematics, sometimes, he's just a clever musician with a good eye for detail.

I attribute the same methodology to "digging deeper" as I always maintained about that blasted code system, and that is that there is no such thing as a right or wrong answer, there are only a variety of approaches to exciting cultural locations that can be enriching to read about or discover for yourself.

Although the question mark at the end of this topic's title still leaves the debate open, [god]speed knows that I feel he can sometimes word things as though they were absolutely intentional and gospel, and that I don't hold with that, but at the same time, I at least appreciate the intent. Sure, maybe you weren't being ignorant of Rihanna, and do enjoy some of her music, but the way the post came across was as an immediate put down of a topic, and with a coupled "I didn't even listen to the song anyway" sort of comment to close. Not your intention? Fine, there's no need for us to be flying off the handle about it, but I think you'll agree, as keeps coming up in conversation, that a once combined, enlightening tangent of cultural analysis has been left a little uncertain and barren following the demise of The Heirophant.

I've tried as hard as I can to repopulate the analyses section we have here with what I feel to be decent ideas (and others have commendably done the same), and they have their Analysis section over at Babalon, which I've posted in once or twice. Then again, in that location, it seems like there are just ten too many scrambling tangents on every few pages with people writing things like "Manson was in a car in the The Dope Show video, does that mean he was a car crash away?". No, it means he was in a fucking car you dolt. But here I've tried to make sure that things are as tight as possible, and the result has been a notably unused Analyses area, sometimes. I'm not saying that people have to go and use Evidence, that would be an awful directive, and I know there are a good number of people that are happy to simply read things over there, and that's fine, I hope they enjoy it, as do I with some of the excellent submissions that are made.

But this current strain seems to have erupted and it leaves me wondering, if we are never going to get any validation of the ideas that we write, does that mean it's worth not bothering in the first place, or is the issue people have with how things are worded, and the direction a discussion might head in?

As ever, I'm sure if this were a discussion over a few beers things wouldn't get over the top, and I'm tired as fuck working on things I can't tell you about at the moment ;) So apologies if S.D. is a miserable rat-bastard at the moment.
    "the Serpent was more crafty than any beast of the field which
    the LORD god had made
    "

m e m e n t o m o r i . p o s t m o r t e m

If Rhianna's was inspired by Manson then what about Lady Gaga's outfit.

Original AIDS provider.

Quote Originally Posted by S.D.
    they have their Analysis section over at Babalon, which I've posted in once or twice. Then again, in that location, it seems like there are just ten too many scrambling tangents on every few pages with people writing things like "Manson was in a car in the The Dope Show video, does that mean he was a car crash away?". No, it means he was in a fucking car you dolt.
    Fuck this made me laugh hard.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

I should give an apologize as well, S.D. I was also very defensive. But it's ok, even friends have disagreements (As Nikk Sixx told me ;) ) so, it's all cool now.

and I guess that, in the end, it was all about semantics. Perhaps I should have marked my (seriously) acotation with bold or italics; and this all would be avoided if the thread would have started with an "I think... I believe" thing. Oh well.

Just for the record, and to keep on topic: now that we're talking about videos and performances that might have been influenced or inspired by Manson, I recently watched a video that made me scream: "godamn!! lol'd @ Deathstars":

[youtube:32i48ooi]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=q_fRVtcQq2k[/youtube:32i48ooi]

^ Hehe, I can definitely see the 'Tourniquet' influence(rip-off)(tribute)

Original AIDS provider.

What? When has Manson ever had guys coughing up eggs and running around weird plastic plants? Oh, wait, you mean the Tourniquet room? Yeah, I guess it does look the same :p I actually spotted that some time ago, being a Deathstars fan, but didn't really take anything too seriously from it.
    My avatar looks like a mix of NIN, My Chemical Romance, and Chris Vrenna

^^Yeah. I've never been a Deathstars fan, and I actually liked some ideas they portrayed on this video, but the Tourniquet homage -I'd like to think of it that way- is quite obvious.