Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image Nav_image
Nav_image
Page 5 of 7 FirstFirst 1234567 LastLast

Thread: List your Equipment

^I love the finish on the Ibanez Art300, looks great.
    This is my baby, my JUNO-D and one of my many Palley pandas:

I am currently saving up for a Roland AX Synth. :)

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Just got this guy a few weeks back. Seriously replaced 3-4 different bass distortion/overdrive pedals on my pedal board. It's so nice to have 6 presets for just bass tone, ranging from the mellowest clean, to full on fuzz mayhem and every degree of dirt inbetween.

Good Morning! One of my dreams has been to become a DJ. I've always wanted to create music (I started with a Roland ep 707) 14 years ago, but everything I learned then, I've forgotten it now. I downloaded Reason software, but that thing was so intimidating that I just sat there, staring at it. So now that I have a MAC, I wonder if you guys know of any programs out there to start messing around with and creating some stuff, perhaps tweaking songs out there and just trying to get the hang of things, so in 10 or 15 years I can be part Great Filmmaker...and part Great DJ. Haha. No serious, Paul Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, Trentemoller, Moby, UNKLE....etc etc...are all little fragments in me trying to come out! So yeah, instead of creating a new thread, y'all mind pointing me to the right equipment? Thanks pals.

list my equipment? I put my dick in the microwave and phat beats come out.

5. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post

Quote Originally Posted by keyboards View Post
    Good Morning! One of my dreams has been to become a DJ. I've always wanted to create music (I started with a Roland ep 707) 14 years ago, but everything I learned then, I've forgotten it now. I downloaded Reason software, but that thing was so intimidating that I just sat there, staring at it. So now that I have a MAC, I wonder if you guys know of any programs out there to start messing around with and creating some stuff, perhaps tweaking songs out there and just trying to get the hang of things, ! So yeah, instead of creating a new thread, y'all mind pointing me to the right equipment? Thanks pals.
    Honestly, Reason is one of the industry standards when it comes to creating music from virtual instruments. I would just invest in a tutorial or something for Reason.
    Another software options would be Ableton live, Cubase, Logic Pro, Fruit Loops Studio, or even Magix Music Studio (12 or higher). I'm not sure if you have a MIDI keyboard/controller, but that is pretty much essential for any of those programs, or at least makes things a hell of a lot easier. I know that Korg makes a nano series that retails for like $65 Korg nanopad, nanokey.

Hope that helps :)
    Last edited by [god]speed; 10-01-2010 at 07:38 PM.

Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST
    Follow Cringeon On Twitter Add Cringeon on Facebook Visit Cringeon's Instagram Channel

Quote Originally Posted by keyboards View Post
    Good Morning! One of my dreams has been to become a DJ. I've always wanted to create music (I started with a Roland ep 707) 14 years ago, but everything I learned then, I've forgotten it now. I downloaded Reason software, but that thing was so intimidating that I just sat there, staring at it. So now that I have a MAC, I wonder if you guys know of any programs out there to start messing around with and creating some stuff, perhaps tweaking songs out there and just trying to get the hang of things, so in 10 or 15 years I can be part Great Filmmaker...and part Great DJ. Haha. No serious, Paul Oakenfold, Paul van Dyk, Tiesto, Trentemoller, Moby, UNKLE....etc etc...are all little fragments in me trying to come out! So yeah, instead of creating a new thread, y'all mind pointing me to the right equipment? Thanks pals.
    You mention you want to be a DJ - which is actually a whole different kind of musician altogether compared to just writing songs. Maybe you could explain a little better as to what you are wanting to do, and maybe what artists you think are close to how you'd like to perform.

If you are truely going the DJ route, I think Abelton Live matched up with the Akai APC controller would be a great match. The Akai controller allows single button start/stops of either specific loops/patterns - or entire sections (like Riff1, Riff2, etc). Abelton keeps everything synced tempo wise, so you can actually use the tap tempo button to modify tempos on the fly. If you are looking to go the vinyl performance route (turntables) look no further than Serato Itch. It's a real turntable with real vinyl, but the way it works is that the motions and changes you make to the physical vinyl are actually applied to mp3/waves/etc on a computer. It's very unique combination of using digital music, and still getting real hands on performance feel that you don't get with pure digital turntables.

If you are just looking to start writing (sequencing) electronic music, I think Reason is a great place to start however, you need to think of Reason as just the "sounds". You still will need to really get familiar and practice with simple midi sequencing as once you master that, learning more of Reason is simple. Just to clarify, while you can write stuff in Reason alone, you really get the best use when you "rewire" it into a proper DAW (recording software like Cubase, Sonar, Abelton, etc). Rewire is basically a method that allows you to control Reason from other programs, because from within Reason alone - you can't load any 3rd party synths. Using another DAW program lets you combine Reason with any other combination of synths.

While Reason has a great collection of sounds, there really are limited in scope to some degree. Some other cheap solutions would be to look for the Korg Leagcy Analog VST edition. It's a small collection of software-synths modeled after very classic synths like the MS-20 (used heavily by NIN, Lady Tron, Autolux, and others). Or if you have the money, look at the Native Instruments stuff. They have a slightly harder learning curve, but the fedility is amazing. Seriously some of the best sounding soft-synths that are really limitless it sounds. Specifically look at Absynth, Massive, Reaktor etc.

So yeah, I guess just post just more what you are looking to do and I'm sure we'll make some suggestions.

That's really interesting, I've just started playing around with reason. How would I go about rewiring Reason into Sonar?

This is probably better than starting a new thread but has anybody heard of or used BEHRINGER guitar pedals. They're really cheap up here and Canada and my g/f's mom bought me a Chorus pedal from them last year and I was just wondering if it's worth checking out some of their other pedals.

10. Like 1 Member(s) liked this post
    Administrator
    IN gOD WE TRUST

Quote Originally Posted by [god]speed View Post
    That's really interesting, I've just started playing around with reason. How would I go about rewiring Reason into Sonar?
    I'm at work, so I'll have to double check once I'm home but I believe from the drop-down menu where you click "instert soft synth" one of the available options is rewire devices. Once you choose Reason you might have to open the actual soft synth manager window and double click on the loaded Reason to activate it. Reason will open in a new window and you should see a light in the top left of reason that shows it's in rewire mode.

Quote Originally Posted by Jakob Synn View Post
    This is probably better than starting a new thread but has anybody heard of or used BEHRINGER guitar pedals. They're really cheap up here and Canada and my g/f's mom bought me a Chorus pedal from them last year and I was just wondering if it's worth checking out some of their other pedals.
    Behringer stuff is cheap, so if you are on a budget it can be okay but honestly I don't like their stuff. It usually is cheaply made, can be quite noisy and just general not so hot. I would look for used Boss, MXR or Dunlop pedals before anything. What kind of pedals you in the market for?

[god]speed and Cringeon, thank you kindly for your awesome responses, hopefully our further dialogue will help me even more!

I don't have a MIDI controller, I believe my Roland has midi capabilities, but I'll discount the mofo for now seeing how the Korg nanopad seems the much better idea.
    I suppose I'm looking into sequencing and mixing music, I don't want to Scratch (although I love that field too). I wish to learn how to grab songs and remix them in order to give them a whole new vibe and direction, like this remix:

I love when women sing in electronica and this here is something that inspires me a lo t, don't know how one would pull it off but it's great.

The youtube user took the video down, so go here and select the 2nd track titled "lc"....which is Lonely Child by SLOK.
    http://www.myspace.com/thecomps

I love Teargas and Plateglass and that's also a sound I'd like to explore too.

And of course, I mentioned Moby, but since I want to include 3 of his songs, I'll just name them: Natural Blues, In This World, Pale Horses.

I'm not going to be a pretentious fuck and assume those beautiful songs can be recreated, but that's a direction I'd like to take. As for the female role, my friend is a singer and her vocals are quiet good, she's sang classically so that should cover that area for starters. Y'all know the other Dj giants mentioned in my inquiry so no need to reiterate those.

So, where does a brotha start?